Dvc dues up for 2021

Not yet....we have been good with our points for many years. I have gotten the urge here and there to add on. Before COVID, I made I believe offers on at least two contracts. I have finally come to the conclusion that we have enough points for the two of us (we do let our kids use some here and there). For the most part - we are good and want to add even more non-DVC related destinations to our travel plans.

I have unsubscribed two two brokers so I don't look at what is listed.

We enjoy our vacation homes too much. We did find that some of the employees we'd been friendly with have not been called back. We hope they can hang on long enough until the occupancy is raised enough to need more hands (although personally I think they need more help already). Once we retire, if the dues are too onerous, we already know which contract we'll unload. I don't see us selling the whole thing at all.

It’s up by a decent amount for many resorts.

Does this increase make anyone rethink their DVC ownership, or possibly reducing the # of contracts they own?

Every year, about this time, just after receipt of the new budget, I start rethinking my ownership and of the possibility of reducing contracts. That temporary brain fart usually passes fairly quickly.

Last edited:
No, but the 9.58% increase at HHI has made me rethink adding on. I may add on a small amount of points in a few years (once grandkids come along), but it won't be the large amount of points I was considering.

Is everyone on $15/hr as of 2021? That's the new minmium wage in FL.

That new $15 Florida minimum wage will actually not be that high until 2026. Each year until then the minimum will be raised somewhat from the $8.56 it is now.

As to Disney, not all in Florida are currently at a $15 minimum, e.g., housekeeping is now at $16, while Food and Beverage workers are at $14 (there will be another $1 raise in Oct 2021). You also get variances relating to years of service. Also, that Food and Wine group excludes positions that are usually tipped, which has also been a separate class in the Florida and federal minimum wage laws. There are a number of complexities to the tipped group at Disney but basically, they are currently in the $7 per hour range based on the assumption they will likely average $15 an hour with tips.

Disney in Florida agreed to bring the minimum wage to $15 an hour by October 2021 with the last labor agreement they did in 2018.

Well I am glad to hear it is $15 by 2021, right or not? If it is 2026, that is five more years of increases for the $15 wage.

Reactions: cm8
When we stop using so many points we will sell some. 2020 has been tough, and our DVC stays were in VB in January, then WDW IN February for Festival of the Arts. Thats it. It looks as if we will have points to deposit into RCI. We won’t make a decision about selling based on this year.

That new $15 Florida minimum wage will actually not be that high until 2026. Each year until then the minimum will be raised somewhat from the $8.56 it is now.

As to Disney, not all in Florida are currently at a $15 minimum, e.g., housekeeping is now at $16, while Food and Beverage workers are at $14 (there will be another $1 raise in Oct 2021). You also get variances relating to years of service. Also, that Food and Wine group excludes positions that are usually tipped, which has also been a separate class in the Florida and federal minimum wage laws. There are a number of complexities to the tipped group at Disney but basically, they are currently in the $7 per hour range based on the assumption they will likely average $15 an hour with tips.
Interesting. So, are you saying that many of the DVC staff (ie housekeeping) are actually already at the $15 minimum? If so, that would negate the argument that the huge dues increases are okay because it's going towards increased wages.

Interesting. So, are you saying that many of the DVC staff (ie housekeeping) are actually already at the $15 minimum? If so, that would negate the argument that the huge dues increases are okay because it's going towards increased wages.

The current labor contract, which ends Oct 1, 2022, had housekeeping employees reach a $15 minimum an hour in Oct 2019 and now $16 in Oct 2020, and it goes to $17 in Oct 2021. Food & Beverage, other than tipped positions, reached a $14 minimum this year and goes to $15 next Oct. Note that is basically a minimum with many getting more, even well into the $20's, depending on factors such as actual position and years of service. The tipped positions all have much lower set hourly rates that are increasing a little annually, but the assumption is that they should likely be getting $15 or more per hour total with tips.

Whether one considers the increases in dues that result from the higher wages as OK or not OK is kind of irrelevant since the union contract is what it is. None of the DVC entities actually had a role in negotiating the contract. All those Disney workers you find at the resorts (other than those manning the DVC promo desks and a small number of persons, such as those providing valet services, which are employed by non-Disney independent contractors), are employees of the Disney Parks and Resort entity, not employees of DVC. They work the DVC Resorts under a contract that DVCM has with the Parks and Resort company called the Property Management Subcontract, which is mentioned in the annual budget, under which the Parks and Resort entity agrees to provide the employees for the DVC Resorts and DVCM pays its share of the wages and benefits.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter