DVC dues - ouch!!

Why should they do this? Disney is a profit-oriented company, they offer such discounts or apparent freebies not because they are nice but because it gets people to book the resorts at rack rate.

There is no need to get DVC members back to the resort, they are coming anyway.

But in the long run, you still will save money with DVC.

Why should they do this? Disney is a profit-oriented company, they offer such discounts or apparent freebies not because they are nice but because it gets people to book the resorts at rack rate.

There is no need to get DVC members back to the resort, they are coming anyway.

But in the long run, you still will save money with DVC.

I understand that but in the long run if they continue doing this at these resorts then it will devalue in price if you decide to sell your points on. It would also be nice to recognise the people who are investing their money in their company for the long term, not just now and again.

Ah, but it's not an investment, it's a pre-payment of vacation accommodations. In the long run, when the economy picks up again, the discounts will go away, while we save on the villas and studios.

Sorry but I still see it as an investment, something I put my money into and pay dues for the up keep of. Now if i want to sell my points at OKW, who in their right mind would buy at this resort knowing that Disney are giving people freebies to stay here, DDP and upgrades to 1 bedrooms if they are staying at moderate hotels. why do I and other DVC members who want to stay here not getting the upgrades to 1 bedrooms or even a discount on DDP.

I own at OKW and are not happy at the discounts that they are offering, If i stay there at the same time and want DDP then I have to pay. Why can WDW not offer all who stay at these resort the free DDP, or DVC members money off.

Who would pay for it, and how? Disney justifies the free DDP because it is filling a cash room that would probably otherwise go empty. If DVC were to offer it to members, how would it be funded? More dues? There would be no advantage to Disney Vacation Development or DVC Marketing to fund it...we're already members, we're already paid.

Sorry but I still see it as an investment, something I put my money into and pay dues for the up keep of. Now if i want to sell my points at OKW, who in their right mind would buy at this resort knowing that Disney are giving people freebies to stay here, DDP and upgrades to 1 bedrooms if they are staying at moderate hotels. why do I and other DVC members who want to stay here not getting the upgrades to 1 bedrooms or even a discount on DDP.

The documents you signed at purchase state specifically that it is not an investment, only a pre-paid vacation plan. If you did not agree with that definition, it probably was not a good idea to purchase.

As far as why they don't upgrade DVCers on points, DVC does not own/control the rooms once they have been turned over to cash inventory. How is it fair to upgrade one owner over another, who would choose, and would it be legal to do so on a regular basis?

Cash room inventory comes from several sources:
1) rooms retained by Disney
2) points reacquired by Disney through ROFR
3) rooms turned over to cash inventory to offset Member trades and
4) breakage rooms not reserved by members at 60 days.

The first 2 types of cash rooms are not owned by members, Disney may do with them as they please, just as any other owner may do with their ownership. The trade offset rooms also are unavailable to DVC members, as these rooms have to be rented for cash to offset the cost of the trade, the alternative would be to raise dues even higher, or eliminate trading to non-DVC venues. The breakage rooms, the smallest pool of rooms available for cash, can be reclaimed by Member Services for point reservations, but again, there would be an expense involved even for the bookkeeping to do so, which would raise our dues. And again, would lead to the question of which owners to upgrade.

Who would pay for it, and how? Disney justifies the free DDP because it is filling a cash room that would probably otherwise go empty. If DVC were to off it to members, how would it be funded? More dues? There would be no advantage to Disney Vacation Development or DVC Marketing to fund it...we're already members, we're already paid
The documents you signed at purchase state specifically that it is not an investment, only a pre-paid vacation plan. If you did not agree with that definition, it probably was not a good idea to purchase.

As far as why they don't upgrade DVCers on points, DVC does not own/control the rooms once they have been turned over to cash inventory. How is it fair to upgrade one owner over another, who would choose, and would it be legal to do so on a regular basis?

Cash room inventory comes from several sources:
1) rooms retained by Disney
2) points reacquired by Disney through ROFR
3) rooms turned over to cash inventory to offset Member trades and
4) breakage rooms not reserved by members at 60 days.

The first 2 types of cash rooms are not owned by members, Disney may do with them as they please, just as any other owner may do with their ownership. The trade offset rooms also are unavailable to DVC members, as these rooms have to be rented for cash to offset the cost of the trade, the alternative would be to raise dues even higher, or eliminate trading to non-DVC venues. The breakage rooms, the smallest pool of rooms available or cash, can be reclaimed by Member Service for point reservation, but again, their would be an expense involved even for the bookkeeping to do so, which would raise our dues. And again, would lead to the question of which owners to upgrade.

Chuck thanks for this info.

Yes fees this year are a bit ouch!

But longterm we've not regretted our purchase - whilst things are tight just now, it will get better. Without DVC we couldn't holiday a la Disney as we do now.

Louise

Just costed up what our upcoming trip (2-16 July) would cost at rack rates:

3 nights OKW studio
3 nights BWV studio
3 nights BCV 1 bed
5 nights AKV 1 bed, savannah view.

$7820 inc tax!!!!!!

Yes, it wiped out 2 years of points(415) but there is NO WAY I would pay that OOP!

Marie

Found this thread very interesting, I can see both sides and it certainly raises many points.

One of those is that non-members from the UK are getting a better deal than members.

So I thought I would check that out and compare a booking made with member points against a cash booking made directly with Disney UK.

All comparisons are for a 2-week vacation checking in on Friday 28th Oct and checking out on Friday 11th November, flights not included.

204 points for a SSR studio; original cost to purchase an SSR point, around $2.00 for each year. Add 2011 annual dues of $4.52: Total per point $6.52.

204 points at $6.52 each equals $1,330, at today's exchange rate £825.
2 x Disney Dining Plan £923
2 x Disney's 14 Day Ultimate Ticket £450
Total Price £2,198

Booking a studio directly with Disney's at Saratoga Springs Resort.
Plus 2 x Disney's 14-Day Ultimate Ticket
Plus 2 x Disney Dining Plan
Total Price £2,284.0

Okay not a lot of difference, so for this year a little better off being a member.

But as a DVC member I do have a choice of when and where I use my SSR points. Therefore, I might be able to make a reservation at Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village in a studio with a savannah view for 232 points, total cost for this including 2 x Disney Dining Plan and 2 x Disney's 14 Day Ultimate Ticket, £2,320.

But if I book the same accommodation, dining and tickets directly through Disney it would cost me today £5,070 and that's one of the many reason's why we became members.

It is simple for us we could not afford to stay in a villa without DVC. Yes free dining would be nice but if we took advantage of it we would be a regular resort room. We've just come back from a weekend away with our girls staying a family room at a Holiday inn. It was only slightly smaller than a studio room and sharing with our girls aged 14 and 8 was a nightmare! Our 14 year old can manage late nights but our 8 year old can't. However she doesn't sleep well so she was awake until nearly 11 most nights with us and consequently she was tired and grumpy. On a disney holiday we would all have to go to bed at 9pm to ensure the kids got enough sleep, not my idea of a fun vacation.

From someone who is thinking of buying ino DVC this year I think a lot of valid points have been raised. Can I just say that for people who love SSR and OKW the UK deal is good and I has taken up this offer for 5 nights at OKW this trip prior to the cruise.However the offer in the UK is only on 2 of the DVC resorts. I presume this is because they are the largest.I cannot see any offers being extended to AKLV BW or the others. Now we all have our favorites and out of the two on offer I prefer OKW by a long shot.
I have also rented points for 3 years now as staying at DVC resorts is cheaper than booking direct through disney UK in the times we have visited and AKL is cheaper renting points. The remainder of our trip doesnt have the offer on so it is a lot cheaper renting from a DVC member even adding the DDP on but if the annual pass is purchased and the TIW is purchased then the DDp doesnt seem that attractive to us.
From comments I have read and as we are buying with the intention to go every year I feel it is a good idea. I know there are monthly dues which will be around £53 a month (based on current exchange rate) for us.
For people looking into buying it is really interesting to read this forum and gives us beginners a good insight into the membership.
We have saved around £900 buy renting points this year.

I remember when you used to get free entry into parks for duration of your stay that was an incentive to buy at OLD KEY WEST and for a few years after the launch of DVC in the mid 90's members had this perk which expired approx 1997. Unfortunately when I bought at Boardwalk in 1999 this was not on offer however the credit towards purchase was although I suspect it was built into the price as you need incentives of some description (even Disney and more say now than ever) Would I buy now,no but I have had reasonable value for money even although the annual dues are now expensive and as I paid upfront the worry of meeting high interest charges at the time was a good choice.I am at the time of life where my kids are older that I shall use my points on them or use passport breaks.

Ian

Ian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter