DVC annual pass timing question

Disneykate605

Disney Life
My annual pass expires the end of June (2019). I was planning on renewing but we won't be returning to Disney until November (2019). I'm assuming that if I renew in June the year countdown starts then (June 2019) ...not the 1st time I use it in a park (November 2019). Is that correct? If so then maybe it is better not to renew and instead buy a new annual pass before our November 2019 trip.
We usually go to Disney the beginning of June and Thanksgiving with a March/April adult only trip thrown into the mix here and there. Last year because of timing we had to push our beginning of June trip to 4th of July and that's why we have this dilemma now, since we will be covered for our beginning of June trip in 2019 because our passes don't expire until June 29th 2019.
Thanks in advance!

My annual pass expires the end of June (2019). I was planning on renewing but we won't be returning to Disney until November (2019). I'm assuming that if I renew in June the year countdown starts then (June 2019) ...not the 1st time I use it in a park (November 2019). Is that correct? If so then maybe it is better not to renew and instead buy a new annual pass before our November 2019 trip.
We usually go to Disney the beginning of June and Thanksgiving with a March/April adult only trip thrown into the mix here and there. Last year because of timing we had to push our beginning of June trip to 4th of July and that's why we have this dilemma now, since we will be covered for our beginning of June trip in 2019 because our passes don't expire until June 29th 2019.
Thanks in advance!

If you renew it will save you money, but if you push the June trip to cover July 4th your AP will have expired. But then you usually renew your APs for June anyway, so you would just be doing a normal renewal. However, if you want your AP to cover all the possibilities then purchasing a new AP in November would work. I would do the math and figure out if it is worth buying a new AP versus doing a renewal.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you’re right that renewing your current AP in June 2019 will mean your pass expires June 2020. If you don’t expect to use it until November 2019, I’d just buy a new one for November.

I always try to time my APs to get 2 or three trips out of them. Frequently, this means letting an AP expire, and starting a new one next trip.

Thanks for the replies...I figured the renewal would start the clock right away- but thanks for the confirmation. We will get 4 trips out of this one. Its probably makes sense to let it expire and buy a new one in November next year.
The only annual pass we have had was the special one we bought last year. We bought it in January but didn't activate it until June. Was that only possible because it was a special deal or can you normally buy one and then wait a few months to activate it? If so, maybe I will buy it after mine expires but before the prices go up again.

Was that only possible because it was a special deal or can you normally buy one and then wait a few months to activate it? If so, maybe I will buy it after mine expires but before the prices go up again.
If you buy a pass out right versus renewing, you may hold the pass and activate it at a later date. That was not anything of a special program. Many people hold several passes they have bought in earlier years hedging against price increases.

If you buy a pass out right versus renewing, you may hold the pass and activate it at a later date. That was not anything of a special program. Many people hold several passes they have bought in earlier years hedging against price increases.
Yes but the mouse is getting wiser and wiser everyday and starting to put expiration dates on all passes. But if you have one with no expiration date they will let you use it.

Yes but the mouse is getting wiser and wiser everyday and starting to put expiration dates on all passes. But if you have one with no expiration date they will let you use it.

You can buy a new one now or later, and if there’s a deadline to activate it (probably will be!) you’ll be told what it is when you buy. If you don’t activate it by that date, you can apply the amount you paid toward the purchase of another one when you are ready to activate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter