DVC and the monorail

kmermaid

DIS Veteran
Do you think they will ever put a DVC location somewhere that would have monorail access?

I feel that the problem with reponses here are because it would all be speculation. There is currently a rumor that the remodeling that is going on at the Contemporary will be for DVC members, but to the best of my knowledge, this has not been confirmed. So, I guess you will have to wait and (hope for the best) like the rest of us!

Outside of a potential CR DVC, don't expect any new monorail service to any other DVC resort, existing or new.

I saw something published a number of years ago that said for Disney to put in more monorails it would cost $1-million per mile. Don't know what all was in that figure but assume it includes trains and stations as well as the track itself.

Don't know if that's accurate, but if it is that might explain why there's no plans for any more monorails.

I don't recall where I actually saw this figure, but it was published somewhere (possibly a newspaper report) and if I recall it was about why there were no plans to run a monorail to AK when that park was being built. Something like that. I'm pushing my recollection on this one, but I definitely remember the $1-million figure.

If they could do it for $1 million per mile, I think there would be monorail track all over Disney property. Actual costs are much higher than that. I couldn't cite a source, but I seem to recall reading that the WDW monorail cost about $12 million per mile to construct back in the '70s.

The recent 4-mile monorail expansion in Las Vegas cost upward of $800 million total.

Yes, the $1 million/per mile figure is listed at numerous sites but is a far cry from reality. The Las Vegas monorail mentioned above cost $141/million/mile based on actual project costs.

Here's a site that lists various monorail, light rail and other similar costs per mile.
http://www.futrexinc.com/Cost.htm

They have Disney listed at a $75 million/mile figure so I'd say it's probably much higher than that now.

I too doubt we'll see a DVC monorail to a non-Contemporary DVC location in my lifetime or at least until 2042 when my DVC goes poof!

rkdahl said:
Yes, the $1 million/per mile figure is listed at numerous sites but is a far cry from reality. The Las Vegas monorail mentioned above cost $141/million/mile based on actual project costs.

Just another example of builiding pricess getting out of control.

they have done the survey - but the land won't surport a resort.

it was to be between the Cont and Polyn - I think I heard that here?

so unless the Cont become ones - I don't think there will be one.

I also asked about one on the Epcot monrail - for some reason Disney doesn't want to built one along that monrail.

a long time ago DVC did say they would one day get a monrail DVC resort - so I am still hopping for the Cont.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter