DTD changes?

sherilaine

DIS Veteran
We have not been to DLR since March of 2016. I know there are many changes made to DTD. Can someone give us some idea as to what is closed or changed - just a short summary - just to have an idea what to expect. We are arriving in early March.

Thanks in advance!

Splitsville, where HoB used to be, should be open by then. D-Street is currently being converted into a Disney Home store and is suppose to open in February. The D28 Vault and Fossil closed to become the Star Wars VR expience The Void and the build a bear/ridemakerz building just closed as they are converting it in to dinning space. World of Disney suppose to begin a massive rehab project soon but the store will remain open in sections during this.

The biggest change (so far) is the change in security. Security for the DTD side is no longer by the esplanade, but instead back by Earl of Sandwich just before you get to the DLH. All of DTD is within the security perimeter now.

These are a few that I can think of (I don't recall if any of these happened prior to March fo 2016, but I think they've occurred fairly recently):
  • House of Blues has closed and they've in the process of building Splitsville at that location.
  • Chapel Hats is gone and has been replaced by the Disney Dress Shop.
  • Security Check Points are now outside of DTD (meaning DTD is within the security bubble, so no more going through security if you want to check out DTD from the parks!)
  • A second Starbucks location opened near the AMC Movie Theaters (far end of DTD)
  • Pandora and Sprinkles opened (sorry, I can't remember what they replaced)
  • Star Wars VR opened (over by where Vault used to be)
  • WoD is undergoing a refubishment/re-imaging, but it'll be open (it supposed to start in Feb, with no end date yet)
  • Dream Boutique replaced Anna & Elsa's Boutique

Is Earl of sandwich staying? Did I hear about construction on that end?
I believe the Earl of Sandwich building is going to have to go when they start construction on the new hotel, but I thought I heard about the possibility that it will be moved somewhere else. That might have just been wishful thinking. But OP is going in early March and I'm not sure when demo is supposed to start, so might not be relevant for their trip.

the best way to find out is to read current dated OCR articles. I was thrown over the coals when I responded to a woman who is going to visit Christmas 2018 about build a bear, and using OCR for factual check, responded that Build a bear would be gone, though i used the word "vacated" implying that it was already gone when it fact it was still functioning, now I read it just closed, which makes sense for the holidays....unfortunately the 2018 visitor was told that Build a Bear would never close.....so my point being is that DTD is undergoing massive restructure but in a manner of an unstructured time line....kinda like doing your homework on refurbs, planning around your favs to be open and then arriving at the entry to find a smiling CM telling you that the attraction is closed for the next 4 days!!!! Many heartbreaks on that one, so I just count myself lucky, after doing the homework, if my fave is available for my magical enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything past the LEGO store going towards the DLH is going. So earl of sandwich, the smaller Starbucks, the AMC, the DVC preview center, ESPN zone, and Rain Forest Cafe.

That's just so sad to me. Is another pricey hotel really needed and worth all of the destruction?

the best way to find out is to read current dated OCR articles. I was thrown over the coals when I responded to a woman who is going to visit Christmas 2018 about build a bear, and using OCR for factual check, responded that Build a bear would be gone, though i used the word "vacated" implying that it was already gone when it fact it was still functioning, now I read it just closed, which makes sense for the holidays....unfortunately the 2018 visitor was told that Build a Bear would never close.....so my point being is that DTD is undergoing massive restructure but in a manner of an unstructured time line....kinda like doing your homework on refurbs, planning around your favs to be open and then arriving at the entry to find a smiling CM telling you that the attraction is closed for the next 4 days!!!! Many heartbreaks on that one, so I just count myself lucky, after doing the homework, if my fave is available for my magical enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I get that and I think the fact that this area is in flux and will remain that way for some time makes it harder to know what is the situation at any given time in future. It is not a big concern for us - I was more curious than anything - we will certainly live without build a bear - let me tell ya! :crazy2: What has been provided is of great help already.

I think most people who are here asking questions are planners and are trying to minimize walking into the parks and being in shock. Although I have seen many people walk in like they just landed on the planet and obviously having no plans in place whatsoever - and the look on their faces sure makes me glad I plan ahead.

We were pretty disappointed when we read back in the fall, just after we booked our cheap flights, that our favorite ride was going under refurbishment :( but we will be back again and be able to ride the "indredicoaster". It seems every trip something is changing and you get used to it after awhile.

That's just so sad to me. Is another pricey hotel really needed and worth all of the destruction?

well....if someone offers you free money to make more money...sounds like a golden opportunity....though from what I have read it is to give occupancy to the Star Wars crowd, which I have been soap boxing is a whole different influx of folks then us Disneyland fans, and for all those conventions who don't book conventions in Anaheim because there is not enough 4 diamond occupancy available...it makes for great reading...but a bit scary for us Disneyland fans.

well....if someone offers you free money to make more money...sounds like a golden opportunity....though from what I have read it is to give occupancy to the Star Wars crowd, which I have been soap boxing is a whole different influx of folks then us Disneyland fans, and for all those conventions who don't book conventions in Anaheim because there is not enough 4 diamond occupancy available...it makes for great reading...but a bit scary for us Disneyland fans.
I agree. I can only imagine what the first few months will be like when the new land opens next year. :faint:

Last edited:
For those looking for Build a Bear, I read that a new location has opened or will soon open at the Block at Orange (very near the parks). So if you have a car or are willing to use Uber/Lyft/a cab, you should be able to get your BAB fix without a problem.

Last edited:
....though from what I have read it is to give occupancy to the Star Wars crowd, which I have been soap boxing is a whole different influx of folks then us Disneyland fans...

Thats... a really good point. I've noticed on some of the podcasts I listen to I'm just not as entertained by them anymore - skipping past a good deal of content about Marvel and the live action movies the Disney company at large is putting out in the next few years. There is so much content that I'm not really interested in coming down the line and so much construction on the verge of happening for bits I'm lukewarm about. I don't mind Marvel at all mind you, but I'm not that into it either. Certainly not enough to go watch all the movies (there are so, so many movies) and learn the whole backstory to and buy merchandise for. I grew up with SW, and I enjoy it but its the same, just in passing, and not into the entire universe of it though I do watch the main movies and have bought some trinkets here or there. I also love the ride of course... but the I'm sure I'll like Breakout as well once i finally get on it. Despite that though... I kind of miss the classic Disney IP already. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter