DSLR Settings -Photography

tamlav

Mouseketeer
Can anyone share their manual/aperture mode camera settings for the parade? I'd like to take photos during the parade and blur the background. And the characters move a bit. so ISO, etc. For a sunny day and cloudy day. Thanks so much!!! Pics would be great also.

The basic rule looks something like this:

Manual, Sunny - ISO 100, f16, 1/100s
Manual, Overcast - ISO 100, f8, 1/100s

For Av, just go by the above. But when in doubt, overexpose. It is easier in PP to pull it back than it is to add missing detail that doesn't exist when underexposed.

You're thinking "if I open up the apertue, I can blur the background". Sorta. Yes, for every stop you open, you double the shutter speed. But "blurring the bakground" means more.

Ignore the camera settings. What you need to be concerned with is (1) distance from camera to subject, (2) distance from subject to background, and (3) focal length of the lens during exposure. Yes, you want a large aperture opening but moreso you want to be close to the subject and have them as far as possible from the background. More telephoto would be better than less, with WA not in consideration. If you're talking a kit lens, you'll need to work at this.

If you want the geek aspect of this, search circle of confusion and depth of field. There are lots of DOF calculators that will help you estimate.

OP, I'm curious where you plan on shooting. Not Main Street, I hope. Everything is way too close there. Pick your location carefully to maximize the background distance and get the background of your choice.

Its hard to give general settings out because conditions vary so much. Faster shutter speeds are better. if you want to stop motion that could mean anything from 1/500 to over 1/1000. I am one of the admins or a pretty large facebook where we are all about teaching and learning about disney photography. Its called the Institute of Disney Photography if you want to look that up you are more then welcome.

I dont post a ton here but you can tell from my website I have been doing the Disney photography thing for some time now. www.nickbarese.com

Its hard to give general settings out because conditions vary so much. Faster shutter speeds are better. if you want to stop motion that could mean anything from 1/500 to over 1/1000. I am one of the admins or a pretty large facebook where we are all about teaching and learning about disney photography. Its called the Institute of Disney Photography if you want to look that up you are more then welcome.

I dont post a ton here but you can tell from my website I have been doing the Disney photography thing for some time now. www.nickbarese.com
Thanks for sharing- I just requested a join!

Usually I will shoot in manual, 80-200 f/2.8, somewhere around f/3.5 and 1/4000th and float the ISO using Auto ISO if I want to lift someone off of the background. But that's a telephoto lens at distance and I have the shutter speed to match it under sunny conditions.

Wider angle, you'll need a fast aperture wide lens in order to get any background blur. However, with wider angles, the characteristics of the bokeh is more important than how out of focus you can get it since you can't get it that out of focus - the physical aperture opening just isn't big enough. That is, is the transition from in focus to out of focus is pleasing, and the blurred areas are not busy looking, so it gives a good sense of depth in the scene so your eye is drawn towards the subject even if the out of focus areas aren't that out of focus. This makes the back feel more out of focus than it actually is, and gives you the effect without much out of focus.

This is a lens charactaristic, not something you can get without spending money. Some newer Nikkors are very good at this, the 16-80 f/2.8-4E, 24 f/1.8G, and 20 f/1.8G, as well as the Voigtlander 58 f/1.4 (from f/2.8-4) are all good choices for this that are somewhat inexpensive. Moving up the price ladder, the Nikkor 58 f/1.4E, and Canon 35 f/1.4 are all good choices as well, as well as any of the Nikon Z lenses and fast Canon R lenses. Also anything from Zeiss, Cosina (Voigtlander) or Leica is a good bet, and some older first party lenses (the Nikkor 12-24 f/4).

I also requested to be a part of the group. I'd love to improve my photography skills and have a trip coming up the 1st week of September!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!