drops in Pirates and star tours

aerialdronemaster

Earning My Ears
hi all
I was riding coasters and other disney attractions in the pas, but I am so scared now, I get a panic attack
I am looking for a help how to battle it
I rode pirates once and the drop scared me so much , and I cant do it again, I tried many many times, and each time I need to board the boat, I go across

how bad is the drop, ? I saw videos on the youtube, but this is so bad

few days ago I tried for the first time to ride Star Tours, I started hesitating before boarding and I quit!

yesterday I tried again, and I was ok all the way to the end, and I quit just before boarding, the staff told me it is baking / tilting really steep .

I dont know where is the problem
maybe because I do not control it, I am scared of unknown ,

how bad is the star tours? is the tilt really big?

I wont board planes either, nothing !@

hi all
I was riding coasters and other disney attractions in the pas, but I am so scared now, I get a panic attack
I am looking for a help how to battle it
I rode pirates once and the drop scared me so much , and I cant do it again, I tried many many times, and each time I need to board the boat, I go across

how bad is the drop, ? I saw videos on the youtube, but this is so bad

few days ago I tried for the first time to ride Star Tours, I started hesitating before boarding and I quit!

yesterday I tried again, and I was ok all the way to the end, and I quit just before boarding, the staff told me it is baking / tilting really steep .

I dont know where is the problem
maybe because I do not control it, I am scared of unknown ,

how bad is the star tours? is the tilt really big?

I wont board planes either, nothing !@

Hi, and welcome to the DIS. It sounds like you have some anxiety about the rides, and while I wouldn't encourage you to do anything that you really don't want to, it seems like you would like to try the rides. I'll give you may take:

The drops on Pirates are rather small in reality. The darkness may add to your fear about them. See if you can find pictures or video of them with the lights on or night-vision. That may help you. I found some information stating that the first drop is about 18 feet, but that is spread over a distance of 52 feet, so it's not very steep. The second drop is described as 13 feet spread over a slightly shorter distance.

Now, Star Tours is a different type of ride. It is somewhat intense, but not that extreme in my opinion. It does not have drops but does simulate them. One trick about the simulator is that the seats in the front and back and on the sides actually move more. Think about a flat surface that is balanced on a point in the center. If the surface tilts 30 degrees, the outer edge moved more than the area closer to the center. Request to the CM that you would like to sit in the center (it may not be the exact center of the seating area because of the area in the front). They should understand what you mean. Now, the screen will show high and fast drops, but if that bothers you then you can always close your eyes.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I do encourage you to try to overcome your fears about the rides so that you can enjoy them. If you have any questions about any other rides, just ask.

:welcome:

The motion from Star Tours comes mostly from the 3D screen - you aren't in a regular ride vehicle that is moving along a track. The room moves a little and the chair moves a little, but a feeling of falling out of your chair is the worst that it gets from the actual tilt. And you might be able to logic that one out in your head - I'm just wearing a seat belt, and there is no way to fall out of this ride vehicle - I'm completely enclosed.

For Pirates, think about how long the vehicle is. By the time the back of your boat reaches the top of the drop, the front is almost at the bottom.

My DD is always scared (Terrified) before she gets on a ride for the first time (though she loves everything once she tries it!), and looking at the seat restraints helps her prepare. No restraint means Disneyland thinks there is almost no risk of someone bouncing out. A seatbelt means there might be a bump like in a car, but it doesn't take much to hold you in the seat. A lapbar is one step up from that - maybe a big bump and a drop or some sudden movements. When you get on a ride where the restraint comes down over your shoulders, Disneyland is actively trying to keep you in the seat. Their engineers and lawyers have a vested interest in keeping you safe, and this isn't like a county fair where the rides are being broken down and set up again all the time. These rides are solid, maintained, and under the control of a corporation that does not want to be sued.

thank u all for the info, it is helpful !
I just need to find a way to stop the panic attack, I cant control it,
jezz and I flew planes many times, I flew cessna, I rode the screamer many years ago, now I am getting old ;)

but I agree, if I try it once, I will do it second time, but if I fail, I will be keep failing,
I many try seating in the star tours in the middle, it makes sense, and if I am with it, move to the front .

should I get drank before going on it hah? ;)

thank u

jezz and I flew planes many times, I flew cessna, I rode the screamer many years ago, now I am getting old ;)

but I agree, if I try it once, I will do it second time, but if I fail, I will be keep failing,
I many try seating in the star tours in the middle, it makes sense, and if I am with it, move to the front .

thank u
Stop. Stop trying to make yourself do these things that cause panic attacks. Wait until you can find a way to bring them under control more because your body is not ready. Life happens and it changes things. Our brains change. What was fun can now be terrifying and no fun. [I have literally been there. It was like my brain betrayed me.] We have to adjust. Go find your new fun! It's not star tours or pirates. How about all the other rides? "But they're kid rides!" Who gives a you know what?! You're old enough to know their opinions don't matter and if it's your opinion that is holding you back from those rides it's time to change your opinions on what ride is for who as well :)

What if you get on a ride and have a big panic attack while on the ride? If people next to you notice you're hyperventilating/shaking/sweating/fainting and someone gets worried you're dying, they'll scream for Disney to stop the ride... [Anyone who thinks I'm exaggerating about the seriousness of bad panic attacks I am not. I've seen bad panic attacks and if someone did that next to me on an Disney ride I would darn well scream for help.]

*You have already ridden Pirates since this started. It scared the you know what out of you. The drop hasn't changed.

Last edited:
I had a friend who used to panic on Star Tours. Also on the Back to the Future ride at USH, if anyone remembers that one -- same concept as ST. She said that looking at the floor helped her. Closing her eyes made her dizzy because the chair was still vibrating or tilting and she couldn't see why. But looking at the floor would reassure her that the floor wasn't going anywhere at all -- the room was entirely enclosed and not moving. If closing your eyes starts making you dizzy, try looking straight down at the floor while telling yourself that the room is not going anywhere. And the suggestion to sit in the center sounds like a good one. Are you riding alone? If so, is there a close, trusted friend or family member who can ride with you? Just knowing you have someone there to support you no matter what happens can lower your stress levels whether you decide to ride or not. I hope that you find something that works for you!

Last edited:
weel, it is not like I am dying , cant breath or something, I just get super super scared and there is no force to take me on it, but who know
when I was on pirates, the CM liked to me, I asked here very clearly, are there any drops, any small drops, she said not, and boom the first one scared me because I was not expecting it, and the second one, rest of the ride was over for me, I was just looking at boats ahead of me, wanted to make sure there are no more drops
and now u can all laguh;

when the ride ends, it is climbing, it did not know if it was an another drop or end of the ride, and I jumped out of the freaking boat and got out;) using an emergency exist, hah
yea I know it is funny for some, but when I saw the hill I was like, fu.. that, I am not , an another drop ;)

now I know, there are 2 drops, and I would probably survive them, I just cant mentally do it,

maybe star tour is easier , seating in the middle, and dont feel too much, I dont know

thank u

Have you considered any medical treatment for the panic attacks? I am by no means an expert on that but it could be helpful. Otherwise, definitely do what you are most comfortable with. It does sound like you want to try the rides, but making the leap is difficult. Try not to feel bad if you find that you don't want to do them, but also try to encourage yourself and know that the rides are perfectly safe. Best wishes to you.

Have you considered any medical treatment for the panic attacks? I am by no means an expert on that but it could be helpful. Otherwise, definitely do what you are most comfortable with. It does sound like you want to try the rides, but making the leap is difficult. Try not to feel bad if you find that you don't want to do them, but also try to encourage yourself and know that the rides are perfectly safe. Best wishes to you.

I did, therapy, drugs ( legal drugs ) even talisman , crystal ;) noting works, hypnotherapy, nothing worked, it happened with planes, i think when my plane dropped since then I got a little panic attack on my other plane, no planes since then, I got disney pas to face this stuff, but failing

The trick I found for both Star Tours and Indiana Jones in describing the motion to my friend is to think of them as riding in a car or truck that is going on a rough road that jerks you around (think a well worn dirt road or a black top needing to be resurfaced). I call the dips similar to taking off or land in an airplane. That pretty much calmed her down and be able to go on the rides though with her back problems Star Tours and Indiana Jones need to be our last rides of the day.

I would not attempt rides that cause you this much anxiety.

Maybe you can see a weekly mental health therapist to work through it.

well , if I have to spend more money for doctor just to fly the plane and take rides in the park, it is waste of money and not really worth it.

I dont trust doctors anymore, I already tried therapy to combat fear of flying twice, it did not help, so it was waste of money, and I dont believe and trust them anymore,
and again, I flew planes maybe 20 times, I flew cessna , I did screamer, soaring, I just cant do it anymore, I tried so many things, but something in my mind is blocking me.

I can find youtube vidoes about the rides, I Cam read about them, it just something in my head blocking me so powerful, that I cant combat it,
but I appreciate your help, I really do

well , if I have to spend more money for doctor just to fly the plane and take rides in the park, it is waste of money and not really worth it.

I dont trust doctors anymore, I already tried therapy to combat fear of flying twice, it did not help, so it was waste of money, and I dont believe and trust them anymore,
and again, I flew planes maybe 20 times, I flew cessna , I did screamer, soaring, I just cant do it anymore, I tried so many things, but something in my mind is blocking me.

I can find youtube vidoes about the rides, I Cam read about them, it just something in my head blocking me so powerful, that I cant combat it,

This definitely sounds like something very serious and I'm sorry you are going through it. I don't have any real experience with this sort of thing, but it seems that you want to face it. Perhaps a friend could go with you for moral support, and maybe you could ride something? You could start with something smaller and easier at first and build up to Star Tours, etc. I'm not sure what else could help.

Are there any other rides you have tried that you liked?

I did those easy ones,
autopia - no problems
monorail - no problem ( once I did not like it ) ok now
alice in the wonderland - no problems
nemo - no probles
haunted mansion - ok
small world - ok
little meramaid - ok
mr. toads - ok

if I manager star tours, any other rides I Can try , co I can slowly keep going up? youtube vidoes are not the same

it is good to have somebodys opinion
thank you

I had some pretty major anxiety regarding rides in the past. Like you, drops frightened me, and the idea of flying out of something scared me... And, yes, scared me enough to exit after standing in line for a ride. I also have a grandson with some special challenges who we took to the parks this year.

A few things really helped me and/or my grandson:

Like a previous poster noted, the seat restraints and ride vehicles are my first idea of how "serious" things are. If there's no restraints and they let babies ride, then its going to be fairly tame, even if drops are involved. If there's seat belts, then it's going to bump me around like I'm in a car. If there's an over-the-shoulder harness, then I'm going to suck my tummy in REALLY tight so it's pressed against me REALLY TIGHT, and there's no way I can fall out. So, while I worry about my safety, I can do my breathing exercises and mantra ("This is safe. I am safe. Disneyland cares about keeping me safe. This is safe. I am safe. Disneyland cares about keeping me safe") and calm myself enough with that if I fear for my safety.

Knowing what to expect. My husband is the opposite--he finds thrills in not knowing what to expect on a ride. My grandson and I want to know exactly what to expect. So, I watched a lot of ride videos to know what to expect and when to expect it so that I may enjoy it, and can warn my grandson to be ready for it.

Reframing how we talk about rides. Pirates doesn't have drops. They have slides with water over them. Star Tours is just a movie screen with a very wiggly and bumpy floor. Indiana Jones is just a pretend Jeep ride with a little slide at the end. Space Mountain is a hill you go up with a really twisty slide; it feels fast, but it's not even as fast when Mom drives on that backroad to Grampa's house. Oh, how we used the speed and size comparisons for our grandson (and me too, honestly! ) "It *feels* fast, but it's really slower than how fast we drive to school." "It looks really big, but, really, the slide is only as big as up to the short ceiling at our house, and you touch that with our without a problem!"

Know how the ride works. I was terrified of dropping rides like Guardians of the Galaxy. Then we watched some Disney Imagineering videos, and I learned that the tummy-sinking feeling is not because we're dropping, but because the ride is programmed to pull us down faster than gravity would. If I know how something works, I'm less scared.

Good luck! I hope you find something that helps you!

I had some pretty major anxiety regarding rides in the past. Like you, drops frightened me, and the idea of flying out of something scared me... And, yes, scared me enough to exit after standing in line for a ride. I also have a grandson with some special challenges who we took to the parks this year.

A few things really helped me and/or my grandson:

Like a previous poster noted, the seat restraints and ride vehicles are my first idea of how "serious" things are. If there's no restraints and they let babies ride, then its going to be fairly tame, even if drops are involved. If there's seat belts, then it's going to bump me around like I'm in a car. If there's an over-the-shoulder harness, then I'm going to suck my tummy in REALLY tight so it's pressed against me REALLY TIGHT, and there's no way I can fall out. So, while I worry about my safety, I can do my breathing exercises and mantra ("This is safe. I am safe. Disneyland cares about keeping me safe. This is safe. I am safe. Disneyland cares about keeping me safe") and calm myself enough with that if I fear for my safety.

Knowing what to expect. My husband is the opposite--he finds thrills in not knowing what to expect on a ride. My grandson and I want to know exactly what to expect. So, I watched a lot of ride videos to know what to expect and when to expect it so that I may enjoy it, and can warn my grandson to be ready for it.

Reframing how we talk about rides. Pirates doesn't have drops. They have slides with water over them. Star Tours is just a movie screen with a very wiggly and bumpy floor. Indiana Jones is just a pretend Jeep ride with a little slide at the end. Space Mountain is a hill you go up with a really twisty slide; it feels fast, but it's not even as fast when Mom drives on that backroad to Grampa's house. Oh, how we used the speed and size comparisons for our grandson (and me too, honestly! ) "It *feels* fast, but it's really slower than how fast we drive to school." "It looks really big, but, really, the slide is only as big as up to the short ceiling at our house, and you touch that with our without a problem!"

Know how the ride works. I was terrified of dropping rides like Guardians of the Galaxy. Then we watched some Disney Imagineering videos, and I learned that the tummy-sinking feeling is not because we're dropping, but because the ride is programmed to pull us down faster than gravity would. If I know how something works, I'm less scared.

Good luck! I hope you find something that helps you!

great advice !!! thank you

i was wondering, what is more intense, Star Tours or those 2 slides in Pirates, wondering what to try first ..

I would generally conisder Star Tours to be a much more intense ride than POTC, however, if it is strictly drops that are bothersome, then POTC has those drops, whereas Star Tours has no true drops, (but some simulated on-screen).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter