Drop on Gringotts? Compare to something disney?

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
I am a wimp about roller coasters, but love Harry Potter. I'd like to try Gringotts, and this will be our first time at Universal. I've heard there is one big drop, towards the beginning...is it comparable to the drop on Mine Train? I can handle Dinosaur, Mine Train, Big Thunder, Star Tours, and the FOP ride at Disney--but I would not get on Rock n Roller Coaster, or Tower of Tower...if that helps!

Also Forbidden Journey--I've heard it makes me sick. Star Tours does kind of get to me, like I can ride it once and need a break....but Flight of Passage, Soarin, Test Track, etc. never bother me. Can someone compare them?

Thanks! It helps me to compare to Disney as I know these rides well:-).

I am a wimp too. Gringotts has a drop at the beginning. It is not as high as BTM. The ride is smooth not rough like Dinosaur. You will be fine.

The drop on Gringott's seems much worse than it really is, because you hover over it for a bit.

The drop on Gringott's seems much worse than it really is, because you hover over it for a bit.
I agree! It's the forward tilt and hover in anticipation of the drop that's worse than the drop itself. But it's the first thing and over quick. It's a great ride... I don't think you should miss it.

As for FJ, it's like Soaring on steroids. You tilt back and forth, and side to side a lot more dramatically. I haven't done FoP yet to compare.

Last edited:

I agree! It's the forward tilt and hover in anticipation of the drop that's worse than the drop itself. But it's the first thing and over quick. It's a great ride... I don't think you should miss it.

As for FJ, it's like Soaring on steroids. You tilt back and forth, and side to side a lot more dramatically. I haven't done FoP yet to compare.

That is my favorite part.

It's not a big drop. Ask for the front row of the front car - there is barely a drop at all if you are that far forward.

There isn't much real movement on FOP. It's almost all simulated movement. I think it has less real movement than Simpsons.

There isn't much real movement on FOP. It's almost all simulated movement. I think it has less real movement than Simpsons.

It actually has a lot of movement. The kuka arms really move you around a lot, hence the reason for the over the shoulder restraints.

It actually has a lot of movement. The kuka arms really move you around a lot, hence the reason for the over the shoulder restraints.

I was saying that Flight of Passage has very little movement compared to Forbidden Journey.

Gringotts was a great ride. We actually were hoping the drop would be bigger!!

FJ was too much for us. The simulator just made us all sick.

Forbidden Journey makes a lot of people sick. If you get sick from Star Tours, it's definitely not for you. In my opinion, it's a wild ride. If you are desperate to go on, perhaps it should be your last ride of the day so that it doesn't affect the rest of your time at Universal. Maybe Dramamine would help, too.

With that said, if you are a huge Harry Potter fan, you should still walk through the castle.

Hmm... I would compare it to maybe dinosaur? Or a smaller mine train drop? It’s very smooth. It’s a super fun ride, but it’ll destroy you if you have motion sickness. I like to ride it in the beginning of the day when I have more tolerance for simulators. So good!

Gringotts is probably the best ride in the park. Going again and again makes u appreciate the great combination of 3d and real life. Incredible.

The drop is maybe 3x bigger than Pirates?

I agree with soniam about the anticipation for Gringotts making the drop feel worse than it is. You'll hear the cars in front of you screaming when they drop as you're waiting to board. Then, on the ride, you'll tilt and hover before dropping. But the drop is super smooth and fast... so worth the buildup. Also, if you're worried about it, the car itself will help immensely. It does a great job of making you feel secure.

As far as Forbidden Journey, I learned to lean forward, grab the bar and move as if I'm riding a broom throughout the ride. I'm not sure if it's a control thing, but I haven't gotten sick since I started doing that.... and that's coming from someone who hugged the wall all the way out of the castle after my first ride. :P

I agree with soniam about the anticipation for Gringotts making the drop feel worse than it is. You'll hear the cars in front of you screaming when they drop as you're waiting to board. Then, on the ride, you'll tilt and hover before dropping. But the drop is super smooth and fast... so worth the buildup. Also, if you're worried about it, the car itself will help immensely. It does a great job of making you feel secure.

As far as Forbidden Journey, I learned to lean forward, grab the bar and move as if I'm riding a broom throughout the ride. I'm not sure if it's a control thing, but I haven't gotten sick since I started doing that.... and that's coming from someone who hugged the wall all the way out of the castle after my first ride. :P

If you wear glasses though, sometimes the edge of the frame can hit the shoulder harnesses and get knocked off or at least be uncomfortable. I found leaning back for me was better. Also, breathing in deeply before large movement and breathing out slowly, if I am feeling nauseous.

Reactions: CGB

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter