Driving with 18 month old to FL from NY

gillytwins

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any suggestions on some neat little things I can bring for him for entertainment. We have the tv/vcr, but looking for other things to keep him busy. I plan to bring some books, but his interest doesn't last long there. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Crayons/coloring books.

Travel size Magnadoodle.

Small toys that are new always entertain my girls for awhile so I buy some new small travel toys and don't let them see them till we're on the road.

Good luck!

Fun snacks are a good way to keep baby happy and entertained. Look for fun shaped crackers and cerals.Disney has three new ones out that would be great. Gerber has some fruit snacks for toddlers that are softer that regular one that would be good too. Stickers are a good choice as well as toddler happy music.Take along any favorite toys. By driving you don't have to worry as much about the noise. Those electronic noisy toys can keep then happy a long time. Good luck.

Jordan's mom

Not sure if it's an option, and I know many people wouldn't recommend it, but we drove through the night from NY with our 1 yo son. I was also worried about occupying him, and for us, splitting the driving so he'd sleep was the way to go. We left LI at 7:30 at night - he fell asleep at 8:00, and didn't wake up until 6 the next morning. By that time we were in SC, and only had another 7-8 hours left.

Never drove with a child that small for more than 7 hours. But the best thing I can recomend is BUBBLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! little messy I know but it is only soap and water. Don't get the pink or green color try to find the clear little bit more expensive bubbles! Life saver!
Also magnet type toys. We have a tomas the tank engine book that has magnet trains kids love it. Not sure where it came from it was a gift.
Pin wheels are another neat thing, cheap too! If you can try to leave very early say around 3:30-4 you will have some extra sleeping time for the child!

We drove down last June from NJ with our then 19 month old. The #1 thing we took was a tray that clips around the back of the car seat--perfct for coloring/eating/looking at books, everything. You can buy one at The Right Start(around $20) I went out and bought a bunch of new little toys and wrapped them up. Every so often when she got antsy, we'd ask if she wanted a present and that kept her busy for a while. My daughter loves puzzles so I brought 2 wooden puzzles (and a ziploc bag to store the pieces) and that was great too. We sang alot of verses of This Old Man and Wheels on the Bus. LOL Oh also get the Bubble Tumbler for the bubbles--it's no spill and works great. We also let her pick out a new coloring book and we got her new crayons before we left..as well as the best invention ever<g> Crayola Wonder Markers and Paper--invisible markers except on the special paper. My daughter LOVES those!
My husband and I did spend a fair amount of time in the backseat with her either coloring or reading. Oh I almost forgot..I picked up a cheap purse with lots of zippers and compartments and put in a compact mirror, a hairbrush, a makeup brush, an old cell phone, old keys, a change purse filled with business cards and extra wallet sized photos, one of those small photo albums filled ith double prints of pics I had laying around etc etc, anything that you might find in your own purse. I did this b/c Julia always seemed to be quiet if she got into my purse, and it worked. :o) I also bought her M&M minis in the containers that look like the M&M guys. Believe it or not she spent a good amount of time emptying them onto her tray and putting them back in. LOL I've heard some people say to bring masking tape --they can play with it like stickers sticking it wherever, but it comes right off when they're done. Haven't tried that one yet. We just got a TV/VCR for our minivan, which I'm sure will make it easier, but even before that it really was an easy wonderful trip(first time driving for all of us too!) We even drove home in 1 day(18 hours) we took 2 days getting down there.

You are very brave!:) We considered driving but chickened out and made plane reservations. On our first trip my then 3 year old DD kept busy for most of the flight playing with a small chalkboard i purchased at our local dollar store. Hope this helps.

My first leappad. That will keep him busy for a little bit and snacks. Get the crayola markers and paper that will only write on that paper.(forgot what it is called. We drove from NF, ny with my son when he was 1 year old in August in a non-airconditioned van. We left at 11:00pm while he was sleeping and stopped overnight in a hotel on the way down.Took 2 days.

We're driving from NJ with an 18 month and 5 year old. :crazy:

We're chickening out and driving at night! This way the kids will sleep and we can drive in peace.

Have a great trip!!

Hallie :wave:

Great ideas, so glad I found this thread, I also suggest stickers but get the small ones not the big ones. My DD (18 mnths) will spend a long time taking the small ones off a sheet and putting them on herself. Also she loves the sticker books because the stickers can be moved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter