Driving vs Flying... anything to know?

robndani

DIS Veteran
Hi!! we are moving to FL and will now be able to drive to WDW (yeah)! We've only ever flown before and used DME. I can think of a lot of perks to driving (our own schedule, bringing food and water...) but are there any drawbacks or anything else I haven't considered?

We are DVC members with APs.

Thanks!

Well, first of all, the price of your AP's just went WAY down! Welcome to the Sunshine State!

The only downside I can think of would be if you were in Pensacola, or out that way and would have a really long drive. But it would still be doable in one day. Driving from anywhere else in Florida will be easy expressway driving the whole way.

Driving AT WDW is SO much easier than depending on Disney transportation. No waits for buses, no riding with people who haven't bathed in a week, no standing up the whole way, come and go as you please...the list goes on and on. You're going to find yourself driving back to the resort mid-day for pool/nap breaks, eating at some great offsite restaurants, shopping at outlet malls, discovering lots of other interesting things in the Orlando area besides WDW. And your pace at the parks will slow WAY down, because you'll be going more often for shorter stays. You're gonna love it!

I agree with JimMIA. It's nice to have a car as an option. For all the trips listed in my signature we had a car every time but 1. We like being able to stock up with items from a grocery.

:welcome: to Florida!

During our vacation visits, which started many years before DME, we always rented a car. Like previous posters we enjoyed the flexibility. We would always make a couple of grocery trips. We would also drive to AK. And the occasional trip to SeaWorld.

I can think of only one minor drawback we encountered having a car. We would stay at the Boardwalk which is known for having limited parking. On a couple of occasions we returned to find the parking lot full. We ended up having to use valet parking.

Other than that minor annoyance I would not be without a car on vacation.

Yes, BW is a pain -- mostly to boost the valet operation I think. But at OKW or SSR, park right at your villa -- can't be beat!

Thanks! We will only be about an hour and a half away!

We are AP holders and DVC members. Do either of those qualify us for free parking?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter