Driving from Philly....how bad will it be?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
Although I'm looking forward to our upcoming trip to WDW in the beginning of December, I'm dreading the drive. DH refuses to get a room, so we're driving straight through :rolleyes:

For anyone else that's driven straight through.....how bad is it going to be? I'm working on getting one of those 9" tv/vcr combos which SHOULD help.

Looking forward to hearing all opinions and comments.

We have driven twice to Florida from Philadelphia.
The first time, we drove straight through. We left about 1 am in the morning. We arrived in Kissimmee, Fl about 7 pm. We stopped several times for gas and meals. We were so exhausted when we arrived, it took a day or so to recuperate. Coming home we drove straight through too. We left at noon and got home at 5:30 am. Once again exhausted.

The second time, we started out about 7 am. and enjoyed the scenery. We stopped in Fayetteville, NC. and slept over (we had car trouble in Roanoke, NC) got up the next morning early and arrived in WDW by the afternoon. We also, drove back the same way and stayed in Fayetteville, NC (heavy rains all the way up from Florida).

When we go again, we will drive, and we agreed that the stay over is great idea. Just seems that the vacation is extended.

Your DH is taking your lives in his hands by refusing to get a room. Unless you are used to doing that type of long distance driving you are running a significant risk of a serious incident caused by driver fatigue. Maybe he won't be the one causingthe accident, but it's a fact taht reaction times slow with fatigue.

Not to mention you will arrive at WDW with an exhausted husband and craky kids. Just a bad way to statr a vacation IMHO.

You'll hit BAD traffic around DC and Richmond if you pass through either during rush hour (6:00am through 10:00am and 4:00pm through 7:00pm). DC traffic is worse than trying to get into Center City from I-95.

Anne

We did this drive in December 2001 and we stopped in Fayetteville, NC. We left South Jersey at 6am, hit bad traffic even though we were past DC before rush hour and didn't get to NC till about 10pm. We were exhausted!!! We got up fairly early the next day and headed to Florida and we were immediately in a traffic jam due to a HORRENDOUS accident that you could just tell no one survived. I agree with a previous poster about taking your lives in your hands. You are MUCH better off stopping over somewhere to eat and sleep and re-group. You NEED that! The drive to WDW can be 18 - 24 hours and that's too much for 2 people to handle, even if one takes naps. I would seriously talk to your hubby about stopping over. Even if you get to NC and sleep from 7pm to 4 am, at least you've slept! We left NC at 7am and were in WDW by 12 noon (and we stopped for 45 minutes to eat breakfast so we could have made it sooner).

Please, I urge you to stop mid-way! Just to insure your safety AND a fun, well-rested arrival in WDW!!!!!!

We have driven straight through a number of times. It takes about 17 hours from Philly....It does take a toll......we usually are extremely exhausted the first day there. The past few years we have flow but this Oct. we will be driving though we are planning to stop in NC.

We did stop one other trip....we were in WDW on 9/11 and ended up driving back...we stopped over night that trip and it did seem to help with the physical exhaustion from making such a long drive.

After doing a number of trips straight through I really think for safety sake it is better to stop....

I imagine you already know to leave at a time that will let you avoid the DC traffic at anytime even remotely near rush hour--.
We drove straight thru from Baltimore to WDW 3 times. Took about 15 hours. Each time when we arrived at WDW we were too tired to do much of anything.
Now we always stop. We leave S. Pa. at 3:45 AM and are around balto. and DC before rush hour. We drive to Brunswick ga. and stay the nite. On the way home, we stop at Emporia Va. and stay the nite. Much easier on us and my back!!

We drove from Wilm. DE last August. On the way down we left at 5 am and stopped about 10 p.m. It was such an easy trip!! THe next day were only about 1 1/2 hours from Disney. On the way home we drove straight thru, leaving at 11 am, arriving home at 3- 3:30 am.

I never felt we were too tired to drive. We took turns sleeping and it was a very easy trip. We were tired the day after we got home, but did not notice as much as we would have if we would have been at Disney. We would do this trip again in a minute, in fact we plan to drive down once a year in the summer from now on.

The things we did to enjoy this trip included stopping every 2 hours, for a restroom break and to stretch our legs, this is something we would NEVER do on a shorter ( 6 hour ) trip, but worked so great on this trip, especially with the easy on/ easy off on the I-95 route. We have a suburban and each time we stopped we would switch where we sat, this helped keep things fresh. We took car snacks and drinks, we bought a plug in cooler and a tv/vcr. I bought a spliter at Radio Shack and we used head phones to listen to the tv. We played car games and talked. Every hour we would write down where we were- and the time went by so fast sometimes we would have to guess where we were the previous hour. I printed a list with all the states in alphabetical order then when we saw a car from that state, we would write down what state we were in when we saw it. This was fun cause DH would say 'There's Texas!" and DD would say "Dad, we found that back in Virginia".

We adapted the game "My father owns a grocery store" - to "My father/Mother owns Disney World". One person starts the game by saying " My M/F owns DW and he/she has a ride that is fast ( or spins or whatever) then you take turns guessing. This game only works if you have been to Disney. We also say - Restaurant, Hotel, Attraction.....

THe other piece of advice I have is to have the attitude that the trip down/back is part of the vacation. Enjoy this time together - bring surprize videos, decorate the car, bring a ball, frisbee, hool a hoop in a bag for road side rests, bring special snacks, talk about Disney and what the plans are, have the kids write in a journal. etc. We also wrote down every time we saw the word "Dixie" as we left our 6 month old puppy (named after Dixie Landings) home with friends- it was funny to see how many things have the word Dixie in them, especially as we got further south. LOL

Both of my DD also made a surprize bag for the other DD. THis included maps, ideas of a game to play, candy, etc. It was fun getting the bags ready before the trip and even more fun for them to give the bags - they even surprized DH and myself with things - the cut out the crossword puzzle one day my DH missed doing it - and even remembered the answer key. I made Disney word search from Puzzlemaker.com and our own car bingo game.

I got some used videos from half.com, they loved "Mr. Mom" and I also watched garage sales. Each person had their own bag/backpack it was easy to switch seats that way and still have all of your favorite activities. Small clipboards were great for writing on. Pillows and lite blankets worked great for sleeping.

THe hotel we stayed in our the way down was less than $50 with tax and included a continental breakfast.

Sorry I rambled, I kept thinking of stuff as I wrote.

Whatever you decide to do -- Have a GREAT trip!!

We drove from Newark De last November... Left around noon or 1pm (making it through the DC traffic with little delay).. we stopped in Fayetteville-if not for our Priceline ressies we would have driven further.... The hotel was so gross my DH decided to drive straight through on the way home.. we left WDW around 11am, I drove about 7 hours & then he took over, we made it home in around 16 hours... I wouldn't suggest driving straight through on the way there, we were just too bushed to have enjoyed the first day! Just be safe no matter when you are on the road... they closed down 95 at the GA border on our way down due to a fatal accident... freaked me out! we ar taking the Autotrain this time.
Christine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter