Driving from Orlando to New York

cheryl.UK

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, a Brit here who hasn't strayed far from Florida in the 16 trips we've made to the US.

However, next summer we are planning a road trip after our WDW holiday. What I want to know is how is the best way to deal with Tolls once I get out of Orlando. I don't even know if there are any.

Our rough itinerary is

Hilton Head Island
Chaleston
Washington
Gettysberg
New York

Any help or info on what to expect greatly appreciated

Its pretty much a straight ride up 95. Not to many tolls and ones that are are mainly ezpass.
I have done it about 7 times. It's not a horrible drive but 20 hours, Disney to NY.
Its not super scenic.

So the same one we use in Florida, that's Good at least:D

Orlando to DC anyone?
Pretty sure I 95 is toll free until you get past DC . Then there are tolls at the Baltimore tunnel. But they also take EZPass. Depending on the route you take to go to Gettysburg you may not have any tolls. The Pennsylvania & New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Expressway ( you may use them going to New York) all take EZPass. If by some chance you end up on the Maryland or Delaware turnpikes they also take EZPass

Last edited:

This is posted on the EZPass site:
Important announcement for customers traveling on Florida Toll Roads: If you have both an E-ZPass and a SunPass transponder in your vehicle, you are at risk of being charged tolls on both transponders while traveling in Florida. When traveling in Florida, you should use your SunPass and place your E-ZPass in its static shield bag to prevent it from being read. More information can be found at https://www.cfxway.com/e-zpass/

So the same one we use in Florida, that's Good at least:D

Orlando to DC anyone?

When you get to the Stafford, VA area (40 miles south of DC) there are optional toll roads (HOT lanes) that you can choose to use. They take EZPass. If the HOT lanes are pointed north in your favor and it is summer TAKE THEM!! It might end up costing you $15-$20 but it could save you hours of time. Unfortunately these lanes only work in one direction and they are timed. For instance, most of the day on Saturday they only have traffic flowing south on I95. At about 3PM they change directions and traffic flows northbound only from late Saturday through Monday morning rush hour. After the Monday rush, they turn southbound again for the Monday evening rush.

Are the hot lanes new? I don't remember them.
Also are you from England? Are you renting car, cause I am pretty sure in a rental car this driving would be costly. It's about 1000 miles and I think you most likely would pay a penalty that would make it more costly then flying. Part of your trip point to point might be doable by train or bus which would be cheapest.

If you are intending to stop at Gettysburg before NY, you may want to consider getting off Rt 95 in Fredericksburg, Va taking Rt 17 North to Rt 29/15 in Opal. When Rt 29 splits off in Gainesville, stay on 15 North through Va, Maryland all the way to Gettysburg. Gettysburg is on Rt 15, about an hour from the Va/Maryland border. Much easier ride than Rt 95 and no tolls. From Gettysburg it's north on Rt 15 to Harrisburg and Rt 81 North to Rt 78 east to NYC.

Are the hot lanes new? I don't remember them.
Also are you from England? Are you renting car, cause I am pretty sure in a rental car this driving would be costly. It's about 1000 miles and I think you most likely would pay a penalty that would make it more costly then flying. Part of your trip point to point might be doable by train or bus which would be cheapest.

The HOT lanes opened about 3 years ago. Prior to that, they were HOV lanes and they were free in non-rush hours and during rush hours you had to have 3 people. That changed and now they are toll lanes at all hours. Of course, if you have 3 people in your car and you get an EZPass that allows for the HOV option, you get to ride in them for free.

If you are intending to stop at Gettysburg before NY, you may want to consider getting off Rt 95 in Fredericksburg, Va taking Rt 17 North to Rt 29/15 in Opal. When Rt 29 splits off in Gainesville, stay on 15 North through Va, Maryland all the way to Gettysburg. Gettysburg is on Rt 15, about an hour from the Va/Maryland border. Much easier ride than Rt 95 and no tolls. From Gettysburg it's north on Rt 15 to Harrisburg and Rt 81 North to Rt 78 east to NYC.

Sounds like she wants to stop in DC though.

That's a long old drive. You haven't said how many people are in your travel group. By the time you consider hotels and gas and rental fees it might be cheaper to fly, not to mention the time you'd save.

If/when you're driving around Wash D. C. try to avoid rush hour as much as possible. Traffic is a nightmare! New York City traffic is an adventure too. A lot of drivers steer with one hand and lean on the horn with the other. Traffic lights are optional.

The first toll you get to wont be until the Baltimore area. An EZ Pass may save you a minute or two, but unless you are resident of Maryland, you cannot buy an EZ Pass there. Maryland is the only place that still has EZ Pass discounts and only for Maryland residents. Everywhere else up here the toll is the same whether you pay cash or use EZ Pass. Tolls from below Baltimore to NYC will probably total $50 or so.

If you go to DC first , you can take Interstate 270 west to 15, straight into Gettysburg. From Gettysburg take 15 north to the Pennsylvania Turnpike east to the New Jersey Turnpike north which will take you straight to NYC. If you go this way you will avoid all the Maryland and Delaware tolls. Or you can choose any of the smaller roads in southern PA and perhaps have the chance to follow an Amish buggy down the road at the pace of a walking horse, lol.

images

Are the hot lanes new? I don't remember them.…….

Yes the "Hot Lanes" are new in the past few years. They used to be HOV lanes until Virginia figured out they could make more money that way then trying to bust people using the HOV lane while driving alone.

Where are you planning on leaving your car once you get close/to New York? The NYC bridges and tunnels are pretty expensive.

Hi all,

thank you so much for the info. I already have an EZ Pass thingy, it just needs updating with my new credit card number.

The reason we are driving is because it's a road trip, It's just me and me and my DH. We do the same in Europe. I've driven from the UK to Slovenia before now. (Went through 6 countries). I'm sure we will make other stops than those I first posted. We are trying to take in the places that interest us en route, hence Charleston and DC. We will be in a hire car with a one way rental. (pick up Orlando International, drop off in Manhattan)

We're taking 2 weeks,

2 nights HHI

1 night Charleston

4 nights DC

1 night Gettysberg

4 nights NY

That leaves me 2 nights to stop somewhere either because I'm tired or fancy looking at something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!