Driving from NJ

lazarru

DIS Veteran
Planning on driving to WDW in Jan next year from NJ. How long does it take if 2 people split the driving and go staright through? I'm thinking about 24 hrs, considering stops for gas, maybe 2 or 3 stops for the kids to run around a bit. Does this seem right?

Also if that's the case and I leave at 8 or 9 at night what is closest/best place to wait near WDW if we wind up getting there late evening? You can't check-in to FW can you?

Thanks

Well, that's a loaded question. In January you can hit terrible weather as far south as the Carolinas. Remember, a dusting of snow in SC can literally close the state.

Personally I don't think it's safe to drive all the way through taking minimal rest stops as you are suggesting. That is ahow accidents are caused. No one, not even an OTR trucker who is used to doing so can drive that far without taking a break and getting some real sleep. I don't mean snoozing while trying to keep the kids from fighting while the other driver is driving. You lose your sense of perspective, your reaction time diminishes, your judgement slips drastically.

I would suggest that you plan on driving half way and stopping for a full 6-8 hours of sleep and a shower.

If for no other reason, who the heck wants to arrive at their vacation destination with a stiff back and cranky kids.

There is no way that those kids are going to be happy stopping 2-3 times to run off steam for a little while. THye will be miserable and will make you miserable with them.

The next part of your question I didn't understand. Why woudn't you be able to check in to FW in the late evening? Are you looking for aplace to pull over and sleep in the car all night until morning? Why wouldn't you just checkin to the resort if you have a reservation?

Anne

ducklite, I'm not proposing driving all the way myself, rather 2 or 3 peopel spliting the driving. Also I should have mentioned we're planning an RV so that's why I don't think we'd need to stop that many times.

The RV is why I was askign about FW checkin, not sure how that works with when a day starts, ie if we get there at 9 or 10 pm does that count as our 1st day if we check in? Might make more sense if there was somewhere outside we could part and check in the next morning.

That makes more sense. My next question--have you ever driven an RV? I have. They are VERY, VERY different than driving any other type of vehicle, including a SUV, a minivan, a sports car, or even a 28' box truck. (I've driven all, so yes, I can honestly compare)

The RV is by far the hardest of all of them to drive. The high windsheild is, well, weird. They sway something fierce in wind, and driving them in the rain is difficult.

That said, yes, you can probably make the trip in one leg switching off drivers. I would have no one driver spend more than 3 hours at the wheel, with a break every time you switch drivers. I would assign roles though. one person sleeps and is not interupted, period. The next takes on all childcare duties. The last drives. Rotate so taht the person who was sleeping becomes the driver, the driver takes over childcare, and the childcare sleeps. I would leave in the wee hours of the moring, around four or so. In optimum conditions from SOuth Jersey you should be able to make it in 24 hours.

When you get there, checkin. There is no place on WDW property to park and sleep in the RV except the campground. That will count as your first day. If you are getting Length of Stay (unlimited Magi) passes, they will code them to start the next morning for you if you get there late in the evening.

When in January are you going? We're flying down on the 8th or 9th, I can't remember exactly.

Anne

Will be making that same trip from northern NJ in Dec., looking at est. of 18 hours straight thru with 5 hours on/off for each driver.

We drive down a couple times a year,not in a RV, 2 drivers, change about every 4 hours, we did go straight thru one trip, 18 hours to Tampa, I would not do it again! We now drive it in two days, usually leave about 5 AM, drive about 12 to 13 hours, this usually gets us to Kingsland, GA. which is about 2 miles from the FL stateline. There are a good number of motels and resturants at this exit, plus the last chance for cheap GA gas before Florida! The next day the drive is about 5 hours to WDW. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter