driving from MA

2d_star_to_the_right

Mouseketeer
We are driving from MA. WHile we have driven many times- we have never done it leaving at 5:00 pm then stopping for the night and finishing the drive the next day. I was wondering if any fellow MA drivers would have recommendations for how far/stopping points (easy on/off I-95) for that first night.

Much thanks.
:smooth:

I guess it would depend how long you want to drive that first night...

Personally, I would drive just past DC, but that would get you there at maybe 1-2 am or so assuming you have not hit any traffic. The are numerous places to stay along the DC corridor in all price ranges in the Alexandria/Springfield area. If you want to drive further, maybe try as far as Richmond? You get lots of choices there, too. Let me know how much $$ you want to spend and I can let you know what hotels I know around there.

Would you then drive the rest of the way in one shot? We have never done it from here, but I've done it from DC and for us that was a 2 day trip. You must have a lot more driving fortitude than we do!!

We do have alot of driving fortitude. We used to do it from DC in 2 days but since it cuts into our vacation time (3 days down, 3 days back) we have been trying to curtail the days driving. I was thinking that DC would be reasonable. I know we can make the Delaware bride around 11:00. I am debating whether it is worth stopping there or going onto DC. I would prefer to rise early rather than drive late as I am a morning person for sure. Last year we drove from Maryland straight- we left at 6:00 am and arrived at the Poly at 9:00 pm with 2 stops- one at South of the Border and the other for dinner.

So I wanted to have a good run the first night to slightly decrease the driving in day 2. Just unsure if it is wiser to stop earlier and get up early or drive later and get up later

I think DC is surely reasonable, we used to do Manchester, NH-Annapolis all the time leaving after work. I actually prefer to drive it at night, and when DD was little, we'd get in the car at 5ish, stop at Rein's deli outside Hartford at about 7:00, have dinner, change her into PJs and drive the rest of the way with just one gas stop. We were generally there by 1 am.

IMHO, you have to get further than the DE bridge. First of all, once you get past that stretch of civilization there and at the MD border, there is nothing until you get near Balto. And once you get to Balto, you may as well go the last 45 mins to DC!

Good luck!

That's what I figured- there was nothing once you pass the DE bridge so it looks like DC will be our stopping point for night #1. Thanks for all your help!

:D

Two notes of caution...
Be sure to take Delaware Memorial Bridge! If you take a PA bridge, you may end up in traffic snarls because of 95 construction in Wilmington.

There is also HEAVY construction on 95 on the other side of DC, regardless of which direction you take. The backup can be around an hour, even at midnight. This is if you go around DC from the Silver Springs exit. If you take the drawbridge instead, I think the chances of a backup are reduced, but you still might get snarled because of the traffic coming the other way. This is as of the end of March.

Also, try roomsaver.com for motel coupons...and read the fine print!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter