Driving from Chicago ???s

Goofyswife

Mouseketeer
We normally fly, but we're going to be driving to Orlando from Chicago in July. What's a good stopping point? Any hotel recommendations & price? We have two kids, 4 & 6 year olds, and will be traveling with another family (taking 2 cars). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Goofyswife

We stopped just southeast of Chattanooga, TN when we drove down. I don't remember where we stayed, it was pretty unremarkable, but it was cheap -- about $40.00 -- and there were a slew of hotels in the area just off I-24.

We drive down from Wisconsin every year, (have to come right thru Chicago) and stay in Dalton, GA. It's about an hour south of Chattanooga. We really like it. Lots of hotels right off the highway for easy access. Most of them are new too. We leave at about 6:00 am from Dalton, and get to Disney around 1:00-2:00 that afternoon. Hope this helps!:D

imgoingtoDis

How old are your kids and how long did it take you to get to Dalton, GA?

Sorry for all the questions. If we don't drive we're not going.

I'm not looking forward to the drive, but if it means I get to go to Disney again:D :D

We live just below Fort Wayne. It is about a 12 hr drive for us to get past Atlanta, but at least I don't have to fight Atlanta traffic the second day. It makes a much more exicting 2nd day and I will have plenty of energy for spending the rest of the day in the park.

I have a 12yr old DD. We started driving to WDW with her when she was 4. A TV/VCR in the car or van is a real life saver. I taped alot of her favorite shows, and along with Disney movies, kept her occupied for the whole trip down and back. Also, if you use a camcorder during your time at WDW, the kids can watch it on the way home.:p

We have driven too, from joliet! And even have stopped at dalton But then you are stuck several hours in the mess leading through or bypassing atlanta. So our alternative is, definately drive to dalton, stop and eat, revive yourself walk a little if its past rush hour then continue driving till your on the other side of atlanta! See how you feel, either stop then or try to mack it to macon. There is a great straigt shot to macon, the speeds are higher there than up here, and it only took over an hour or so, after got out past atlanta. Also if its late and there is not much traffic, go through atlanta not the bypass! It is much quicker, and most people think it will be worse so they avoid this, and use the bypass. Good luck. I also recommend 57 in illinois compared to indiana. There is virtually no traffic on this highway, and if anything its boring. This has you miss indianapolis & lexington. Only going through paducka ky. and your in tenn. before you know it. Have a great time, and be safe!

Hello goofyswife- Whenever we take trips with more then one car we make sure each car has one of those hand held walkie-talkies. The kind you see at disney. I think that there are a couple of manufacturers, Cobra, Motorola, some work up to 2 miles. You don't have to have the same kind, just tuned to the same frequency.

Hi Goofeyswife!

My son is 12 now, but we started our annual driving trek to Disney when he was 6. It never ceases to amaze me how great he is in the car, knowing he's going to Disney!:D
From Oshkosh, Wisconsin, it takes us about 14 hours to get to Dalton. We never seem to have a problem with traffic in Atlanta. Smooth sailing all the way through. We have however, run into major construction traffic every year in Nashville! I keep thinking one of these years they will be done with it! :rolleyes: Do you belong to AAA? They can make up what they call a "trip tik", that helps with construction traffice the whole way down. I find it to be very helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter