Driving from Anaheim to the San Jose/San Fran Area - Help!

Stacy's a freak

wrangles snakes
As part of a 10 day trip this July, we will be seeing DL and driving north to San Jose/San Fran area. We want to take the coast for at least SOME of the ride to see the sights. FWIW, we will be in Anaheim for 4 nights - 2 DL park days and 1 LA day) so I do not want to cut into this part of the trip.

1. What route would be best? Should we take Highway 1 the entire way or just for a portion of the drive?

2. How long does your suggested route take (actual driving time)?

3. We want to stop about half way to stay over on a Friday night. In what town should we stay? I have been looking at hotels in random towns (Cambria or San Louis Obisbo?) but all rooms seem pricey ($200 - $250 per night).

4. Am I crazy to think that we can/should do this trip in just 2 driving days?
We plan to spend the second half of our trip doing sightseeing in San Jose/Cupterino/San Francisco so I do not want to eat up too much time driving.

Thanks all!

Highway 1 is a longer route. But not a two day drive. Highway five is boring and long stretch. It all depends of where you want to stop. How much time you spend looking around. There is plenty to do in Frisco. Hotels along the route are pricey.

Highway 1 is a longer route. But not a two day drive. Highway five is boring and long stretch. It all depends of where you want to stop. How much time you spend looking around. There is plenty to do in Frisco. Hotels along the route are pricey.
A longer route but not a two day drive? I'm guessing you mean that it could be done in less than 2 days? I have heard everything from 7 hours to 12 (?!) hours. Mapquest says 7 hours but I'm wondering if that doesn't take into account traffic delays, etc.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some practical driving times? Thanks!

I live about 20 minutes north of Disneyland and have gone North several times. I can be in San Francisco in 7 hours. We head North on Hwy 5, then connect to Hwy 101. It is a straight shot from there. Going to Monterey from San Jose is a nice place to visit also, a great day trip from San Jose. I would make San Jose area the main place and go in different directions from there. FYI the San Jose area is known as the Silicon Valley and can be pricey during the week. Hwy 1 is a beautiful drive from San Luis Obispo and offers another route for scenery. Hwy 101 to Hwy 1 (in San Luis Obispo). You will see the coast in Morro Bay (approx. 4 hours), which is a nice place to stop, from there you can go to Cambria for the overnight or a few miles North of there is San Simeon where Hearst Castle is. The next day you would continue North, heading through Big Sur and into Carmel and Monterey. Monterey has a nice aquarium to visit and is about 1 1/2 hours from San Jose. If this is a one time adventure, I would do the coast trip, VERY BEAUTIFUL. I hope this helps. :yay:

If this is a one-time trip, is it possible to allocate 2 nights on the drive up?

I made the drive up a number of times and have stopped either at Solvang or San Simeon for the first night; and then Monterey for the second night. This allows me time to enjoy some of the smaller towns and beautiful sights along the coast road. If you wanted to get closer towards San Jose, you could consider staying nearer Santa Cruz; which is at the top end of Monterey Bay. But I think you might have more hotel choices in Monterey/Carmel.

Mapquest, Google Maps etc might take into account traffic; I've seen variations in the drive time depending on time of day that I'm asking for directions. But it does not take into account stopping time. From experience, I tend to double the estimated driving time from Mapquest/Google Maps because I do like to stop (lots) along the way to enjoy the experience.

If this is a one-time trip, is it possible to allocate 2 nights on the drive up?

I made the drive up a number of times and have stopped either at Solvang or San Simeon for the first night; and then Monterey for the second night. This allows me time to enjoy some of the smaller towns and beautiful sights along the coast road. If you wanted to get closer towards San Jose, you could consider staying nearer Santa Cruz; which is at the top end of Monterey Bay. But I think you might have more hotel choices in Monterey/Carmel.

Mapquest, Google Maps etc might take into account traffic; I've seen variations in the drive time depending on time of day that I'm asking for directions. But it does not take into account stopping time. From experience, I tend to double the estimated driving time from Mapquest/Google Maps because I do like to stop (lots) along the way to enjoy the experience.

I haven't done the drive in a long time, but that's the minimum time I'd spend driving it if the goal is to enjoy the drive, not just get from A to B. The coast route is amazing.

The last time I did this route we did it the other way around, flying in to San Francisco then driving down. We spent a few days in San Francisco, then 2 nights in a great little B&B in Monterrey, spent my birthday in a cabin in Big Sur and headed down to Orange County for my little sister's wedding. We'd love to do it again with the kids when they are a little older.

I live in San Jose and have done the coast drive several times (DH and I like to do it for our anniversary). I absolutely agree that if you can do it in 2 days, head up 1 and stop in Solvang for one night and Monterey for the other on your way up. Take your time - it's a gorgeous drive, and well worth the extra time. It's even prettier going south because you're on the ocean side of the drive. Lots to see and do around both Solvang and Monterey, and it's fun to be able to just pull over at a beach or a pull-out and take in the views. We usually pack a picnic-type lunch and find a spot to stop and eat with the sounds of the waves. It's lovely!

I agree - I would stay 2 nights on the way up (roughly Solvang and Monterey).

Near Solvang is Carpineteria (just south of Santa Barbara) - we spent Thanksgiving there, it was cute.

If you aren't going to spend 2 nights, I would just drive up I5 and be done with it personally.

We took 101 to Solvang (1 night), then to Pismo Beach (1 night), then Hwy 1 the rest of the way to Monterey (1 night). From there we went back on 101 up to SF.

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter