Drive or Fly?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Our children will be 8 & 5 with SPD and ASD. We are coming from Canada, and have initially planned on driving since it will save us $600ish. Also, we just figured the hassle of trying to take luggage, car seats, strollers through the airport, having to rent a car etc... would be a pain. We figured this way, if the kids want a break we can just stop, get out, stretch etc... They travel well in the car. On the way home we planned to stop for a day in Virginia as a break (since we know the drive home is often less enjoyable) and do something fun. We have never flown before with them, so have no idea how they'll make out.
The only downside is, it's going to be 2-3 days driving each way to get there (we can get there in 2 days if we put in 13.5 hours driving each day, though we've budgeted for taking 3 days of 9 hours driving). So, it'll be tiring.

We have recently found another airport that we could fly out of for less money, it would get the cost within $300 or so of our cost to drive down (assuming 3 days there/back), so we're considering it. However, they only fly certain days, and certain times.

It would mean leaving at 4:30 to drive 5 hours to the airport for our flight, a 3 hour flight, plus all the airport hassle of checking/claiming luggage, getting a rental car etc... We would probably make it to our rental house in Florida around 3:00 that day. It will also require tacking 2 days onto our time in Florida since they only fly on certain days (that has been factored into the cost). Though, our overall vacation time away from home will technically still be 3 days shorter.

So what would you do? What has been your experience either way, flying with your kiddos or not? DD and DS travel well in a car, I have no idea how they'll do in a plane. If they don't like it and DD pitches a fit... there's really not much we can do.

Last edited:
Fly. As much as I prefer driving and having my own car, driving for 3 days vs 3 hours of flight is a no brainer for me.

We flew for the first time last trip. With normal distraction tools it was fine. We talked about it prior, had our 3DS and iPads, coloring books, etc. the same techniques you'd use for a 4 hour stretch in the car you can use on the plane.

We gave the kids gum to chew so,their ears wouldn't pop and they felt super special since they don't usually get gum from us.

When you indicate it will cost within $300 of driving -- are you taking into consideration ground transportation as well? I think on another thread you mentioned you are staying offsite and so will need a car rental.

If it's within the budget, I prefer to fly. Spending half (or more) of your vacation time getting there and back isn't much vacation, unless you have fun stops planned along the way. Rather than starting out at 4:30am could you get a park-n-fly deal at a hotel near the airport? Arrive the night before, get up and take the shuttle to the airport in the morning. We often do this, though it's adding to the budget if that is a concern.

Bring something new for the kids to do on the plane -- and don't get it out until you are on the plane.

Enjoy your vacation!

When you indicate it will cost within $300 of driving -- are you taking into consideration ground transportation as well? I think on another thread you mentioned you are staying offsite and so will need a car rental.

If it's within the budget, I prefer to fly. Spending half (or more) of your vacation time getting there and back isn't much vacation, unless you have fun stops planned along the way. Rather than starting out at 4:30am could you get a park-n-fly deal at a hotel near the airport? Arrive the night before, get up and take the shuttle to the airport in the morning. We often do this, though it's adding to the budget if that is a concern.

Bring something new for the kids to do on the plane -- and don't get it out until you are on the plane.

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes, the price I gave includes a rental car. We do plan on stopping for some fun in Virginia on the way home - we thought it would be awesome go through the Luray Caverns. If we do the hotel the night before the cheapest we can get is $115 for the night, and then we'll have to add on more meals, so probably another $50 for two fast-food meals, so, now we're spending $460 more. So... it's starting to get back up there for price.

We generally drive - around 18 hours. In February, we decided to fly because we were finally sure our daughter could handle it. We left our house at 2:00 for a 5:30 flight and arrived at the Beach Club around 10:00 that night. This trip, we didn't plan anything outside of Disney, so flying was fine. We are going again in November and we decided to drive. In addition to Disney, we are going to Seaworld, Lego Land and visiting family, so we want to have our own car.

Just a suggestion in looking at the price of airfare: I have many Canadian friends who will drive to the US and fly from there. Many cities in NY offer more flights at cheaper rates. I have found the same in WA as well.

Just a suggestion in looking at the price of airfare: I have many Canadian friends who will drive to the US and fly from there. Many cities in NY offer more flights at cheaper rates. I have found the same in WA as well.

Our prices are actually US flights for that very reason :) However, for us it is a 12 hour drive to fly out of NY, at which point we're almost halfway to Disney. So, it doesn't really save anything. We'll be flying out of Maine if we fly.

We generally drive - around 18 hours. In February, we decided to fly because we were finally sure our daughter could handle it. We left our house at 2:00 for a 5:30 flight and arrived at the Beach Club around 10:00 that night. This trip, we didn't plan anything outside of Disney, so flying was fine. We are going again in November and we decided to drive. In addition to Disney, we are going to Seaworld, Lego Land and visiting family, so we want to have our own car.

I think that's one of DH's biggest things right there. We're going to be there 10 days. He wants to have our own car. As he said, then if something happens, we're not trying to deal with a) rental insurance policies b) international insurance claims etc... And I think at the end of the day, he's just more comfortable in our own car. We have a nice SUV with lots of space, but we would only be able to rent just a basic car, to get something comparable to what we have would cost twice as much. I admit the idea of dragging large car seats around airports, plus 2-3 carry ons, plus another large suitcase, two kids all without a stroller... is not appealing. Due to the small vehicle size we'd be renting, we'd have to rent a stroller instead of bringing out own, I did forget about that, which will easily add $100+ to the cost.

And I think DH is honestly looking forward to the drive. I mean, he's no fool - he knows that there are going to be times we're going to want to throw the kids out on the highway, or jump overboard ourselves, lol. But, he was talking about it last night, and he was saying, "Oh but we'll have lots of fun. We'll play games, think of the things we'll see! DS wants to go to a beach - we'll have the entire east coast to pick from on the way home!" So... even as I'm typing this... I have a feeling I have lost the fly/drive discussion. ;)

We've flown and drove. We're 21 hours from Disney. I like the memories of the car. The movies, the games, the time together. Feeling like you're on vacation a little longer because of the drive. I appreciate not dealing with airports and gates changing if there's a lay over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter