• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Drive from LAX to Disneyland?

soxyes

Mouseketeer
Greetings!

We're taking the kids for their first trip to DL over spring break! They've been to WDW plenty of times, but this will be a first for them. We're all very excited! :cool1:

Anyway, we fly out of OHare or Midway. It looks like we'll probably fly into LAX. We'd prefer SNA, but the rates are significantly different.

So, here's the question... if we arrive at LAX late on a Friday night (9-10:30), how long do you think the drive to DL will be? I guess I'm trying to figure out how much the convenience of SNA is worth? I'm guessing it's about $500-600 more. What do you think?

TIA :)

I would say 45 minutes at the shortest. Could be up to 75.

That late at night, the freeways "should" be relatively fast. Have you checked to see if the car rental agency will still be open?

Don't plan your return to LAX during "rush" hour and you should be fine.

Greetings!

We're taking the kids for their first trip to DL over spring break! They've been to WDW plenty of times, but this will be a first for them. We're all very excited! :cool1:

Anyway, we fly out of OHare or Midway. It looks like we'll probably fly into LAX. We'd prefer SNA, but the rates are significantly different.

So, here's the question... if we arrive at LAX late on a Friday night (9-10:30), how long do you think the drive to DL will be? I guess I'm trying to figure out how much the convenience of SNA is worth? I'm guessing it's about $500-600 more. What do you think?

TIA :)

I work directly across the street from the LAX airport (I watch the planes land all day from my window view) and I live in one of the nearby beach cities. I drive to DL at least every other week and it doesn't take me more than 45 minutes (I drive pretty fast) and that's with morning traffic. Once you arrive at LAX and get into your rental car the drive to DL will probably take you about 30-45 minutes becasue at time of the evening you'll have no traffic. Flying into SNA is not work the extra money.

Thanks everyone! I think we'll likely settle on LAX.

Good point on making sure the car rental will still be open. I guess I need to figure out when we plan to land first, huh? :)

Thanks again! :goodvibes

I work directly across the street from the LAX airport (I watch the planes land all day from my window view) and I live in one of the nearby beach cities. I drive to DL at least every other week and it doesn't take me more than 45 minutes (I drive pretty fast) and that's with morning traffic. Once you arrive at LAX and get into your rental car the drive to DL will probably take you about 30-45 minutes becasue at time of the evening you'll have no traffic. Flying into SNA is not work the extra money.

I agree with this. I'm almost in the same work & living areas, and have driven to DL from work at different times of the day. This is also my experience in driving there.

once you fly into LAX all car rentals have to take a shuttle to pick up their car. This adds on another 10 minutes or so after you've picked up your baggage. All of the rental companies provide shuttle service door to door but they are offsite, so account for that extra drive once you land at LAX, especially since you have a later arrival.

Have you looked into flying into LGB? I don't know how that works out of Chicago, but from Seattle we usually find it to be cheaper than SNA and less of a hassle than LAX. Just a thought.

Also factor in the extra time to get your rental and out of LAX, always a mess. Ontario can be a good option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter