Drinking in california

chelseyleigh

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys
I was wondering if someone could clear up the drinking laws for me, i will be 20 when we go and when trying to look up the laws all its saying is drinking is prohibited with exceptions? what are those exceptions? will i be able to drink with my parents? is it only for certain drinks? id love to be able to enjoy a cocktail with dinner and my parents but will that be possible?
thanks a lot!!

Hi Guys
I was wondering if someone could clear up the drinking laws for me, i will be 20 when we go and when trying to look up the laws all its saying is drinking is prohibited with exceptions? what are those exceptions? will i be able to drink with my parents? is it only for certain drinks? id love to be able to enjoy a cocktail with dinner and my parents but will that be possible?
thanks a lot!!

As far as I am aware they are no exceptions. You have to be 21 to drink in a public establishment.

There are no exceptions to drink in public, you will not be able to drink in CA at the age of 20.

Yes, it is fantastically stupid but you wouldn't be able to do it. Almost any place that is licensed will be paranoid about it, they almost certainly would squawk even if someone of age ordered the drink and then slid it across the table to you. It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason. They can be fined personally for serving underage people, and few of them are foolish enough to take that risk. It will just be awkward for you, your parents, and the server. There are no exceptions for low-alcohol beer, nothing. Sorry. However, please feel free to purchase a rifle while you are here.

There is no drinking allowed in the US for those under 21. The only exception is for active duty US military personnel on military bases. Many Americans do break this law, but only within the confines of private residences - you won't be able to order any alcoholic beverages at restaurants or bars.

wnissen said:
Yes, it is fantastically stupid but you wouldn't be able to do it. Almost any place that is licensed will be paranoid about it, they almost certainly would squawk even if someone of age ordered the drink and then slid it across the table to you. It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason. They can be fined personally for serving underage people, and few of them are foolish enough to take that risk. It will just be awkward for you, your parents, and the server. There are no exceptions for low-alcohol beer, nothing. Sorry. However, please feel free to purchase a rifle while you are here.

Lmao! I just love this part in bold.

The US does seem to be extremely strict on alcohol laws, as a European it makes me feel so sorry for those 18 - 20 year olds who can't go clubbing and enjoy a drink!

The US does seem to be extremely strict on alcohol laws, as a European it makes me feel so sorry for those 18 - 20 year olds who can't go clubbing and enjoy a drink!

In the US, college parties (most notably frat parties) tend to overcompensate for the illegality of alcohol by providing mostly free all-you-can-drink open bars. Believe me, the 18-20 year olds who are in college are not missing out on drinking alcohol.

I have seen one exception to this law, excluding the military one. It's likely not an exception you're willing to try though. When my husband and I got married in California he was only 20. No one batted an eye at him drinking at our reception or later on in the same hotel. It's an extreme length to go to for a drink though.

wnissen said:
It might be technically legal in California for a parent to give alcohol to a child, but that doesn't matter because servers can and will refuse service for any reason.

I don't think even a parent can serve alcohol to someone under 21.

25658. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every
person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished,
or given away any alcoholic beverage to any person under 21 years of
age is guilty of a misdemeanor.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=25001-26000&file=25657-25667

Essentially, as the PPs have noted, if you are under 21 you are not allowed to drink any alcoholic beverages in California. As others have noted, places will often card folks until they look well beyond middle age, especially if you're near a college campus.

I don't think even a parent can serve alcohol to someone under 21.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=25001-26000&file=25657-25667

Essentially, as the PPs have noted, if you are under 21 you are not allowed to drink any alcoholic beverages in California. As others have noted, places will often card folks until they look well beyond middle age, especially if you're near a college campus.

THats correct it is a felony, contributing to the deliquency of a minor and providing alcohol to a minor two felonies. WHen you hear about those parties that parents knew were going on at their house and underage drinking was going on, parents are responsible

Has anyone heard of a rule where you have to be 21+ 1 day to be able to drink?

Has anyone heard of a rule where you have to be 21+ 1 day to be able to drink?
Nope.

At midnight on your 21st birthday you can walk into a bar and buy a drink. At 11:59 on the day before your birthday you cannot.

Spare a thought for my daughter, traveling with us to the US in Oct, who turned 18 in May and can now drink legally in Australia. She was very disappointed to learn that she has to be 21 to drink legally in the US. :)

I believe that you could have a drink in Wisconsin or Texas in a bar if you are with your parents. Unfortunately, neither of those states are near California.

I believe that you could have a drink in Wisconsin or Texas in a bar if you are with your parents. Unfortunately, neither of those states are near California.

No drinking in the US under the age of 21 has been the law since 1984. Some states do let minors drink at home but I don't think California is one of those.

Hi Guys
thanks a lot!!

You must be 21 one to consume alcohol in California. And, if you order a drink you most likely will be carded. No exceptions that I can think of and I have lived in California all my life.

uh no, the 21 drinking age is not a state law it is a federal law and is the same for all 50 states in the US!!

I'm not terribly familiar with Texas, but I am near Wisconsin.....

No drinking in the US under the age of 21 has been the law since 1984. Some states do let minors drink at home but I don't think California is one of those.
Drinking age didn't change to 21 in Wisconsin until 1986, but didn't have a truly uniform age until 88. http://onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/drinkingage022308.html?viewall=1

uh no, the 21 drinking age is not a state law it is a federal law and is the same for all 50 states in the US!!

A quote and a link from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website:
Can children be in a bar with their parents?
Yes. Persons under age 21 may be on licensed premises, and can be sold and allowed to drink alcohol beverages, if they are with their parents, guardians, or spouses, as long as those persons are of legal drinking age; but this is at the discretion of the licensee.

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/ise/atundrg.html#undrg2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter