Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast | Traveling with a Disability | 05/21/18

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
In this episode, the team discusses the experience of traveling to Walt Disney World with a disability or with a family member who has one.

Enjoy the show, everyone! :goodvibes

Interesting and helpful podcast. :)
Thanks for the shout-out to the disABILITIES Board. :)
Between my co-Moderator, lanejudy, and a lot of helpful Dis Board members with experience, we can come up with answers to most any disability related questions.
I thought I would add a little more information to some of the subjects that were discussed.

First ECVs in queues. There are some where they are never allowed. In general, those are marked on the park maps (and disability park maps) with a symbol showing someone getting out of the ECV and going to a wheelchair.
Those attractions do have wheelchairs guests can switch to. Examples would be Winnie the Pooh and Pirates.
Others are sometimes allowing ECVs and sometimes not - often the deciding factor is size. The large WDW park rental ECVs might not be allowed, but smaller 3 wheeled ECVs may be allowed because they can turn more sharply.

CM pushing wheelchairs in queues is pixie dust. As Kevin mentioned, if there is a CM who is free and agrees to push, you might get some pixie dust. This is the policy:
What our Cast can do for any Guest who asks is offer their arm for stability getting in or out of an attraction vehicle, maneuver a Guest's wheelchair a short distance to/from the load/unload area to a ride vehicle, and assist in maneuvering a wheelchair up or down an incline leading to our leaving the load/unload area.

If you want to check some things out without asking questions, there is a disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of the disABILITIES Board. This is a link to the disABILITIES Board. https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/
And, this is a link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/
Post 2 has information about renting ECVs and wheelchairs (at the parks and from off-site). Post 6 is about DAS (Disability Access Service) and post 1 is an index to the other information in the thread.

Interesting and helpful podcast. :)
Thanks for the shout-out to the disABILITIES Board. :)
Between my co-Moderator, lanejudy, and a lot of helpful Dis Board members with experience, we can come up with answers to most any disability related questions.
I thought I would add a little more information to some of the subjects that were discussed.

First ECVs in queues. There are some where they are never allowed. In general, those are marked on the park maps (and disability park maps) with a symbol showing someone getting out of the ECV and going to a wheelchair.
Those attractions do have wheelchairs guests can switch to. Examples would be Winnie the Pooh and Pirates.
Others are sometimes allowing ECVs and sometimes not - often the deciding factor is size. The large WDW park rental ECVs might not be allowed, but smaller 3 wheeled ECVs may be allowed because they can turn more sharply.

CM pushing wheelchairs in queues is pixie dust. As Kevin mentioned, if there is a CM who is free and agrees to push, you might get some pixie dust. This is the policy:
What our Cast can do for any Guest who asks is offer their arm for stability getting in or out of an attraction vehicle, maneuver a Guest's wheelchair a short distance to/from the load/unload area to a ride vehicle, and assist in maneuvering a wheelchair up or down an incline leading to our leaving the load/unload area.

If you want to check some things out without asking questions, there is a disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of the disABILITIES Board. This is a link to the disABILITIES Board. https://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/
And, this is a link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/
Post 2 has information about renting ECVs and wheelchairs (at the parks and from off-site). Post 6 is about DAS (Disability Access Service) and post 1 is an index to the other information in the thread.
Sue ... I'm a Dreams agent and I refer all of my clients who are traveling with differently abled folks in their party to your board and specifically to our FAQ thread. Thanks a million for what you guys do

AWESOME show, on a much-needed topic! As someone who has needed more and more mobility help over he years, this was very much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!