Dreams Come True in Blue Hawaii - Aulani, Kauai, Disneyland May 2017 TR, updated 7/30

Wow! Hawaii has so many amazingly beautiful landscapes, more than I've ever even imagined (you know, from watching movies I know were filmed there...). I would have also been terrified on the helicopter, but these are the things we conquer our fears for, right? :)

I know nothing of Hawaii except beaches and luaus and Pearl Harbor, so I feel like I've learned of so many places to look into from your TR when we make it there someday!

And off to Disney... can't be that close and not go, right? :laughing: I've never seen Lightning and Mater meet in those areas, I wonder if it was for your early morning? Cars Land is one of my favorite things out there though. It's so detailed! Before we went back in April Zack and I had an argument about the fountain in front of the Cozy Cone. We were watching the movie and I mentioned I was excited to go back for all of the details, and Zack was determined they didn't have the fountain in the park so I had to pull out an old picture :rotfl: Luigi's is so cute and I love Racers, it's like the perfect Disney ride... and the majestic music as you come around the turn and see the waterfall is :thumbsup2

We liked Guardians more than expected, but it felt weird to not ride ToT out there! Can't wait to hear more about your day!

Also, I'm at work this morning, and I sent Zack your photo of the waterfall from Jurassic Park, and he recognized it... You know, because he only watches the original, like, 3 times a week... popcorn::

ETA: I was like wow, you recognize that photo? and got back this:
2018-07-28.png

Last edited:
Wow! Hawaii has so many amazingly beautiful landscapes, more than I've ever even imagined (you know, from watching movies I know were filmed there...). I would have also been terrified on the helicopter, but these are the things we conquer our fears for, right? :)
Exactly! It was so worth it, and I knew it would be worth it, but I was so scared! I can't imagine not having done the helicopter tour though. It was the single best thing we did, in my opinion. We still haven't done a luau... so maybe in December?! :hyper:

I know nothing of Hawaii except beaches and luaus and Pearl Harbor, so I feel like I've learned of so many places to look into from your TR when we make it there someday!
You have to go! We are going back over Christmas as Italy ended up being out of the budget/not feasible for the itinerary we wanted to do. If you keep your eye on airline sales it is probably not too expensive, especially if you guys can get to a city served by Hawaiian relatively cheaply since you're already out west. I think they have a lot of direct flights from Las Vegas and definitely a ton from California.

This time we're just staying in a condo the whole time, no aulani, no Disneyland :(

And off to Disney... can't be that close and not go, right? :laughing: I've never seen Lightning and Mater meet in those areas, I wonder if it was for your early morning? Cars Land is one of my favorite things out there though. It's so detailed! Before we went back in April Zack and I had an argument about the fountain in front of the Cozy Cone. We were watching the movie and I mentioned I was excited to go back for all of the details, and Zack was determined they didn't have the fountain in the park so I had to pull out an old picture :rotfl: Luigi's is so cute and I love Racers, it's like the perfect Disney ride... and the majestic music as you come around the turn and see the waterfall is :thumbsup2
I don't know what it is, did imagineering just have an unlimited budget for this land?! It's so fantastic. Don't worry, more of that coming up to torture us both with.

Also, I'm at work this morning, and I sent Zack your photo of the waterfall from Jurassic Park, and he recognized it... You know, because he only watches the original, like, 3 times a week... popcorn::

ETA: I was like wow, you recognize that photo? and got back this:
That is AMAZING! Jurassic Park is a great movie. It's stood the test of time well. I love that Zack could reply with an exact scene :rotfl: you guys would definitely need to visit it in that case! Diser nkereina wrote a great report where I think they might have even visited these falls. I can't remember. I know they're on a private estate so you definitely have to do a tour to get to them.

Thank you for posting this and congratulations of the engagement ! Booking a trip for next year, would you recommend Hawaiian air FC?

Thank you for posting this and congratulations of the engagement ! Booking a trip for next year, would you recommend Hawaiian air FC?

ABSOLUTELY! Unless you don't want to be spoiled for life, in which case maybe don't do it. We had lay-flat seats and individual iPads for entertainment. Service was top notch, flight was on time, and we got an unbeatable deal. Planning to book Hawaiian again for an upcoming trip! Much nicer than the Delta first class experience we had on the same trip.

Sunday, June 4, Continued:

Since we were already in the area and I'd seen and heard about the newest rage in instagrammable food, I was left with no choice... we found the correct snack stand and acquired the cutest treat ever... Groot bread!

They didn't have the jalapeno cheese variety so this was just your typical Disneyland resort sourdough. It was good, but we had a few bites and moved along with our day, carby Guardian in tow. The only negative thing about Groot bread was it was kinda large and annoying to carry around... see below....

zjmzFNwl.png

Not my best photography skills, but the next stop for us was a return to Carsland to use our Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses. Once again, an absolutely awesome experience. The dark ride elements of it are just so cute and well done, far superior to Test Track's lame dark show scenes.

It had been long enough that I'd been at Disneyland without stepping foot in Walt's park so we decided to rectify that post-haste! Apparently I had some kind of vacation seizure and stopped taking photos for a few hours, but between 9:35 am (at the time I took the Carsland photo, above) and 11:11 am (next photo timestamp in Disneyland), we pulled a Fastpass for Indiana Jones, rode the Jungle Cruise (which I LOVED), and waited for and rode Pirates of the Caribbean. This was before Disneyland installed a Fastpass machine for Pirates so the line looked absolutely gargantuan but we only waited about 20 minutes or so. And despite that I have absolutely no photographic evidence, I was absolutely IN LOVE with Disneyland's pirates! I can't believe how just a few small differences make the ride feel so much more... authentic? No, that's not the right word, "charming" I guess is what I mean. Authentic pirates would probably be gross pirate:

As you might be able to tell due to my photography fail, we were absolutely dead on our feet at this point after the overnight flight from Hawaii. I could think of nothing that would pep us up better than...

Beignets and caffeine!

Seriously, what is better than sugar coated mickey shaped food? (Nothing, I tell ya!) R had a coffee and I had a diet coke.

We knew we'd be on a hope and a prayer to get into a DVC studio before 4:00, and we had a lunch reservation to hold out for, so we moved on to redeem our fastpasses for Indy - of course, I loved the details in the queue, and being a huge fan of the Dinosaur attraction at WDW and a fan of the films, I thought this was a GREAT attraction! R doesn't love this ride mechanism either at Disneyland or at WDW, so he wasn't a big fan of the attraction. There were also a ton of annoying people on the ride with us, so R's beignet pick-me-up wasn't enough to make him appreciate the magic of this experience.

Apparently we did some wandering around, as I don't think we did the tiki room just yet...

Thankfully I'd made a reservation at Cafe Orleans - they were on a long wait otherwise. We checked in and were seated a bit early for our 12:30 reservation. We had kind of an awkward table inside, but we were so tired it was really of no consequence. Plus, I was still in the mindset that all could be cured by fried food, and I'm not sure I was wrong! Thankfully, we were in the right spot.

We started with the Pommes Frites ($7), which I'd heard raved over so many times on podcasts and other trip reports. The menu describes these as "traditional French Fried Potatoes tossed with Parmesan, Garlic, and Parsley served with Cajun Spice Rémoulade." They were tasty! Not something I'm sure I'd seek out again, but a solid starter. Looks like they're now $8.

Just like the pommes frites, there was no way I was coming to Disneyland and specifically to Cafe Orleans without trying the Mint Julep ($4.50). It was good, but sweet. I think they've changed the recipe since I had this and I don't remember all that much about it since I was on just a few hours' sleep, but I am still glad I tried it. A once and done for me, though, since I'm not usually a fan of sweet drinks.

Despite knowing that we shouldn't get two entrees, for some reason we ordered two sandwiches to share... ?

The menu's changed and now it doesn't appear you can order this anymore, but this was the NY Strip Sandwich ($22). I found an older "Oh My Disney" post promoting this as part of a limited-time pirate menu? It says it features white cheddar sauce, bacon jam, arugula, and cherry tomatoes, and is served with sweet potato waffle fries. Looks accurate to me! I remember that we liked this and it was nice to have two different things to try.

Of course, if you don't want to get kicked out of Disneyland, you better order the Monte Cristo ($20)

Sliced Turkey, Ham, and Swiss fried in a light batter, dusted with Powdered Sugar, and served with a Berry Purée (now up a buck to $21). Since this could easily be lunch for two, especially paired with a salad or something, this isn't too much of a rip off. The portion is massive! Here's another view of this beauty:

It's four huge, deep-fried sandwich quadrants. I couldn't even finish my half. This was rich and amazing and I guess I'm glad you can't get this in Walt Disney World because I would be sick on every vacation after gorging myself on these... :worship:

(for what it's worth, R barely remembered this until I showed him the photo, and declared the Bennigan's version of his childhood memories a superior option... :confused3 whatever!)

This was a rare occasion for me to whip out the blue DVC card for a 10% DVC Discount ($5.35), bringing our tab to $51.88 before gratuity. We settled up and headed out. We were headed to take a hobo nap (more on that in a minute) but first we stopped by Tomorrowland and pulled a Space Mountain fp for later in the day.

In short order (like so short, I was practically giddy after our 2 minute walk), we had returned back to the Grand Californian and found the pool, which had just reopened in its totality after a bit of a refurb. Like two sleepy vagabonds, we found ourselves some towels and a shady spot and slept in pool chaises for an hour or two. I can't believe I was able to sleep, yet it was a relaxing view....

You can probably tell from the deserted pool area that it wasn't really super warm that day. I did love the super plush chaise cushions. Shortly, we received our room ready text.

I was like WHAT! Our room is ready before 4:00! Okay, it was only about 30 minutes before 4:00 but still! We got our keys and headed up to room 2510...

It was pretty much what I expected. I wish Disney would stop installing super pointy bed frames to beat me in the shins in the night, but otherwise our room was comfortable. We called for our stuff and rested for a bit before heading back into the park.

(to be continued in next post)

Sunday, June 4, 2017, continued (part three)

After our rest, it was nearly time to redeem our Space Mountain fastpass, so we got ready and headed back to Disneyland. First, though, we stopped to grab Matterhorn fastpasses. I know I was at Walt Disney World during legacy fastpass, but I have no recollection of it. I gotta say, I know people love MaxPass but paper fastpass was fabulous. I wish WDW was still on this system in a lot of ways.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it was time for us to redeem our Space Mountain fastpasses! I loved the "weird" queue where you go out onto the roof! So neat.

The loading area was also particularly cool for a WDW regular.

(Stupid Lotso Huggin bear obscuring my awesome ride photo...)

As was the actual ride! Ohmygoodness, I would love it if we got an upgrade to WDW's... maybe after Tron opens?

Then-fiance/now-husband is a big Mark Twain fan, so I made him pose with the sign for the still-being-refurbed-at-the-time Mark Twain.

I didn't take any photos, but around this time we also were approached by a couple who gifted us their Big Thunder fastpasses. That was fantastic as we were headed to Big Thunder anyway! They were good right away so we used them. Did I mention in the last two seconds how much I liked paper fastpass?

At this point, R was getting inexplicably peckish, which in a Disney park generally means that his dessert hollow leg is empty. We stumbled upon the Main Street carts that were selling the new (at the time) fancy donuts.

We sprung for a butterfinger and reese's variety. It was okay, but at $5.75, probably a rip-off. I prefer the major donut chains to this especially at a quarter of the price.

By this point, it was time for our Matterhorn fp to be valid

I don't know what I was doing with my photography composition... I think these ended up on Snapchat maybe?

My notes say one thing about the Matterhorn - OUCH!
:headache:

It was a cute ride but I totally understand the criticism of this ride system. I can't imagine being tall, as it was, my teeth were practically rattling around in my head!

In order to forestall future dental work, we apparently decided to go check off one of the items from my Disneyland Must-Do list:

I bet you know where this is headed....

Trader Sam's enchanted tiki bar! It was the stuff of my dreams. And... there was no wait for a table! We swooped in on a high top that was being vacated as we waltzed in. Luck!! :hyper:

We each ordered a drink, with R choosing the "Shipwreck on the Rocks - Bourbon with freshly Muddled Lemon and Mint with Organic Agave Nectar" ($25.50 with souvenir mug) and I went for the "Shrunken Zombie Head - Reserve and Aged Rums, Tropical Juices, Falernum and Cinnamon", which is my tiki drink of choice, but I'd also been SO looking forward to collecting the white zombie head mug from Disneyland... except now it was green, just like the one I had sitting at home from Walt Disney World. :sad1: Womp womp womp. Our server was able to take the mug portion off of our bill for mine, since I didn't want another green one, so my drink was $11.50.

I'd also heard a ton of great things about the food, so we ordered some apps, including the sweet and spicy asian wings ($12) and the panko crusted chinese long beans ($9)

Sorry for the weird lighting.

Okay so I am fully expecting to get flame-blasted for this, but I was majorly let down with Disneyland's Trader Sams... :duck: I know, I know, hear me out though. We were there for a while, and I was prepared to hang out all night if we were having a good time, but there were maybe only one or two effects that were working when we were there and absolutely NO cheese, schtick, or ham from any of the cast members. It was just dullsville. Like an effect would go off that I recognized from WDW and I would be expecting the bartenders to do or say something, and nothing would happen. Our food was fine, our drinks were fine, and I got my one new mug that you can't get at WDW, but I was just underwhelmed. I would go back though! ($60.23 after a $2.10 DVC discount on the food and before gratuity)

Next we had another fail, and I continued on my long day of photography fails, as we attempted to hit up Disneyland Hotel's OTHER famous lounge, the Steakhouse 55 Lounge. We found the restaurant after some roving of the Disneyland Hotel halls, moseyed up to a weirdly placed vacant table as far away from the other patrons' screaming children as possible :rolleyes:, and ordered drinks. Then when we tried to order food, we were told that whatever it was that I'd been trying to order was only available if you were sitting AT the bar. Like at the high-top bar in the lounge, not just anywhere in the lounge. :rolleyes::rolleyes: And there were no open seats. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: So we were like um okay and drank our drinks and moved on. Super heebie jeebie vibe in there. Major fail.

Not to be deterred, there was still one more bar on my list...

UVA Bar! I finally had a winner. Well, and it had been several hours and several drinks since the adventure started, so I was feeling fine!

As usual, we both started with a refreshing libation... One of us had the Stone Ripper Pale Ale ($15, pretty sure this is a 20 oz pour though) and the other had the Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra ipa ($16). I'm guessing I had the Stone but I no longer remember and I am fairly sure they both tasted like... beer. :drinking1

We split a couple things, including:

The "Manchego Salad - Wild Arugula, Manchego Cheese, Shallot, Apple, Date, Candied Walnut, Toasted Walnut Vinaigrette" ($15) I never met an arugula salad I didn't like so this one was just perfect.

And the "Top Shelf Burger - Super premium short rib/chuck/brisket blend, caramelized onion, vine ripe tomato, lettuce, house-made mustard and served with garlic fries " ($22)

It was good, maybe not $22 good, but hit the spot nevertheless. The fries were super tasty.

Total $73.27 before tip. Yeesh. I also got swindled into buying some souvenior photos of us from a roaming non-CM photographer... probably because of drinks. Nevertheless we had a lovely time and enjoyed sitting outside at Downtown Disney and watching the world go by.

Afterward, I ducked into Sephora to grab some nail polish. I had to grab this photo in the checkout line for @Dis_Yoda. :wave2: I did not get any face masks myself, but she's always posting photos of hers! What a nice treat.

Speaking of nice treats, here was our view:

Not much of anything that's not obscured by trees, but it was still fun to step out on the balcony, enjoy the seclusion of our spot just behind the trees, but still be able to hear the fun just beyond those pine needles and leaves at California Adventure. I loved the soft glow of those lights at Paradise Pier!

Disneyland Day 2, up next.

Awesome first day at Disneyland! You got so many rides done especially after catching the redeye! Sorry Trader Sam's was a bust for you! It usually is much more lively there. I feel you on the matterhorn. It hurt more than just my teeth! I don't think I would go back on unless I was in a sports bra.

Thank you for the photo of the masks ;). I find them to be such a lovely treat during vacation! I can't do them at home anymore because of the high energy puppy would think they are chew toys or something.

WHAT?!? How have I never heard of this?! It's adorable. I love Groot, and I love bread. Excellent.

the next stop for us was a return to Carsland to use our Radiator Springs Racers fastpasses. Once again, an absolutely awesome experience. The dark ride elements of it are just so cute and well done, far superior to Test Track's lame dark show scenes.

Sounds amazing! I really want to ride this someday!

I was absolutely IN LOVE with Disneyland's pirates! I can't believe how just a few small differences make the ride feel so much more... authentic? No, that's not the right word, "charming" I guess is what I mean. Authentic pirates would probably be gross pirate:

I also really want to ride THIS! Glad you were so taken by it.

Of course, if you don't want to get kicked out of Disneyland, you better order the Monte Cristo ($20)

Yummmmm. I'm glad they don't have it at WDW, too, because it would be very tempting to cheat on the dietary restriction thing and end up very sick. But it looks so good!

I wish Disney would stop installing super pointy bed frames to beat me in the shins in the night

:laughing: This is too real!

I gotta say, I know people love MaxPass but paper fastpass was fabulous. I wish WDW was still on this system in a lot of ways.

I miss it, too. I miss the flexibility of paper FPs.

All caught up, and just WOW! Congratulations! What an awesome engagement story!

Your photos in Kauai were stunning. I visited Maui, Oahu, and Kauai 20 years ago and I am dying to go back. We did not go on a helicopter tour but I think it looks like something worth doing.

Loving your DL trip…still my goal to get there someday!

Ugh Hawaii is just beautiful, it looks like the most magical trip! That helicopter ride is the stuff of dreams, for real.

We were both giggling like little kids! We absolutely LOVED this ride... I don't know why! It's got me excited for the Alien Swirling Saucer ride at DHS though.

Mater is sooooo good, definitely one of my favorite Disneyland rides. Have you ridden Aliens? I don't find it nearly as fun, somehow it seems slower, and without Mater singing along it's not near as charming.

That's adorable! I love how skeptical he looks!

I can't believe how just a few small differences make the ride feel so much more... authentic? No, that's not the right word, "charming" I guess is what I mean.

Plus more drops! Really love the creaking, smoldering timbers.

Seriously, what is better than sugar coated mickey shaped food? (Nothing, I tell ya!)

Correct.

Just like the pommes frites, there was no way I was coming to Disneyland and specifically to Cafe Orleans without trying the Mint Julep ($4.50)

Mint Julep is missing a key component (alcohol).

I didn't take any photos, but around this time we also were approached by a couple who gifted us their Big Thunder fastpasses. That was fantastic as we were headed to Big Thunder anyway! They were good right away so we used them. Did I mention in the last two seconds how much I liked paper fastpass?

Ugh I miss this aspect of paper FPs so much. And back in the day they never checked the date, so you could use FPs from other days, as long as it was after the initial time listed.

My notes say one thing about the Matterhorn - OUCH! :headache:

It's the worst! It's not even fun!

Okay so I am fully expecting to get flame-blasted for this, but I was majorly let down with Disneyland's Trader Sams...

I haven't been terribly impressed with either. Oops!

Thanks for the great trip report! We are doing Hawaii cruise next May and plan to spend time on the islands prior to cruise. Your helicopter pictures are AMAZING! I also need to add Patagonia to list of things to do on North Shore:)

I just realized I started reading this, and never came back to finish it until now, years later :rolleyes1

Your pictures from the helicopter tour are incredible! So stunning! I actually did a helicopter tour years ago when I went to Vegas with my Dad, it was such an awesome way to see the Grand Canyon. I actually did vomit when I got to the helipad (but that was due to a good night in Vegas the night before, with a few too many drinks haha - I was still in my early 20's so I rallied and was fine for the entire time in the helicopter haha).

Cars Land is so great, Luke and I giggle like kids on Mater as well! And Disneyland Pirates is > WDW Pirates. Disneyland Space Mountain > WDW Space Mountain too.

Now I'm really missing Disneyland, and can't wait to go back in 2022!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!