Dream Double-Dip 6/15/12

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! This will be my first cruise PTR, so please bear with me!:duck:

Where to begin? I guess at the beginning???

First off, this is a whirlwind, unplanned trip booked only four weeks in advance. This goes totally against my planning gene and quite honestly has me in a frenzied state. But in a good way! Mostly.

Before I get into the details of how this all came about, I should introduce myself. I'm a mom to 3 sons ages 18, 20 and 22 and we love Disney so in '08 I took the plunge and became a DVC member. We live 15 minutes away from DLR, have been to WDW four times and have been on one Disney cruise. Yes, Disney gets a large percentage of my disposable income, but I suppose there could be worse vices.:rolleyes1:

My boss who is also a DVC member had booked a cruise on the Disney Dream but was unable to make it so he offered to rebook it under my name. It was an awesome deal I just couldn't pass up! Only problem was that I already have a three week vacation planned in July which includes Williamsburg, VA, four days at Hilton Head, followed by a week at WDW. What to do? I accepted the offer and invited two of my girlfriends along. No way was I going to miss out on the opportunity. Unfortunately my friends couldn't go but to my surprise my brother-in-law gave my sister the green light! This is no small thing - they have two little ones at home. I made a deal with my sons and they'll be helping my mom take care of my niece and nephew while my sister and I are on the cruise. Disney Dream, here we come!

My sister and I. Me on the left, my sister on the right.

571596838_QQgkq-M.jpg

So last week my boss officially booked the cruise for me in an 8E GTY. I was happy with this, really just happy to going at all! I didn't waste any time and got us checked in online right away and started looking at what excursions we might be interested in. The day after we booked, I went on the DCL website to do more research and discovered that we had been upgraded to stateroom 7190! Score! I was thrilled and a part of me wanted to keep it a surprise from my sister. You see, this is her first Disney cruise, actually her first ever cruise, so I want it to be special. But I'm terrible at keeping surprises. Oh, I can keep a secret if it's someone else planning the surprise because I wouldn't want to ruin it for them. But if I'm the one planning the surprise, it's sooo hard for me to keep my mouth shut. Yes, I told her.:p

To be continued...

Well, today is May 24th and only 20 days to go before our cruise. Not really a lot going on planning-wise. I booked the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter for our day in Nassau. Also booked Palo for embarkation day. Hoping to get Remy which is fully booked right now. I'd almost rather wait until embarkation to try to get Remy anyway because I want know our dining rotation first. Booked airport transfers so we should be getting our luggage tags soon.

Now for shopping. Since this was a last minute trip, I really haven't had a chance to do too much clothes shopping. Since we have our trip down South coming up in July I had purchased a few items several months ago and stashed them away so I really don't need much. Except for that one dreaded item. Ladies, you know what I'm talking about. A new bathing suit.:scared: I've lost 45 points but no matter how much I lose, I'll never have the type of body where I'll ever enjoy bathing suit shopping, especially after three kids. So the search begins. I actually started looking about two weeks ago and still haven't found anything I'd feel semi ok wearing in broad daylight.:scared1:

On a happier note, I was able to watch the Dream set sail today on the Port Canaveral webcam. It was so exciting! I even saw people having fun on the Aquaduck. That'll be us pretty soon!

Had a very productive work week. I was so behind and now I feel like I finally have my head above water. I want to try to make sure I don't leave any loose ends before vacation.

Guess I'll sign off for the night. Off watch Mighty Ships since I have cruise ships on the brain!:sail:

Today is May 30th, only two more weeks to go! Well, actually it's May 31st since the time right now is 12:14 a.m.

Can't quite go to sleep yet since I'm a bit too hyper. Got off work today, went home and changed then headed to DLR with my youngest to join my other two sons. Had a very enjoyable evening. We went to Jolly Holiday Bakery and had dinner, caprese sandwiches to be exact. Then we headed over to River Belle Terrace to stake out a table for Fantasmic! It was packed but just as we got there a nice man saw us and offered us his table since his family was leaving. Hung out there for about an hour and then watched the show. From there we went over to DCA and got a great spot for World of Color. We had a blast! We don't usually go to DLR mid week because I'm usually too tired from work but it was a relaxing evening since all we did was take in the shows.

So back to cruise talk! Got our docs yesterday which was great. I went on the DCL site last night to try and get Remy. The only slots available are for embarkation day and we already have reservations for Palo. I'm so torn on what to do. I decided to wait until we get to the ship to try to get us in for Remy and hopefully then can.

I'm dying to start packing! But I need to hold off because I have to finish spring cleaning which should hopefully be this weekend. Finished shopping other than needing some jewelry for Pirate Night and maybe a cute nautical tote bag for embarkation day.

Better call it a night, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow!

Today is Friday June 1st, 13 days to go!:woohoo: It's getting closer and closer! I'm so not ready yet, still have some last minute shopping to do. We need accessories for Pirate Night and I think one more nice dress for dinner.pirate: I know some don't enjoy having to get dressed up on vacation but my sister and I actually enjoy it. I almost wish we had a little longer to go. Since I usually plan our vacations a lot further out, I'm used to taking my time researching and shopping. The anticipation and planning are part of the fun.

Speaking of dressing up, yesterday my sister told me about a "trip nightmare" she had. Actually, I'm the one who usually has some sort of vivid dream right before going on vacation but this time it was her. Something about me nagging her to hurry up and get ready otherwise, we'd miss our dinner reservation. For some reason she gets in the shower with her dinner outfit on and it gets all wet so she asks me to give it to my mom so she can dry it. Then after getting out of the shower she either snags or tears my outfit and I get upset. I know, weird! Poor thing, she's probably traumatized from our trip to WDW this past September. I carefully planned our itinerary (as I usually do) and keeping our group to the time schedule was seriously like herding cats!:headache: Well, this time it's just the two of us so it should be easy to keep to our plans and get to dinner on time.

I'm looking forward to sister bonding time but a part of me feels sad that my sons aren't going. All three still live at home but what with work and school schedules, we won't always be able to travel together like we have in the past. In July we're flying down South to take a road trip from South Carolina up to Williamsburg for four days, then back down to Georia, on to Hilton Head for four days, then WDW for a week. My eldest won't be joining us because he opted to go to New York instead. So our next trip with all of us as a family won't be until next summer when we go to Aulani.:sad1: Yes, I know, it's part of growing up I guess but I don't like it, not one bit!

Then there's my niece and nephew. They're Disney kids through and through.

My niece getting her princess makeover at BBB.
IMG5222-M.jpg

IMG5248-M.jpg

My nephew loves the princesses too!

IMG5313-M.jpg

I know my niece who's four and half would love the kids clubs. She's very princessy and social. And my nephew adores his big sister and would have a blast with her on a Disney ship. Well, I guess my sister and I will have to convince her Papa to book a cruise sometime in the future. Maybe on the Fantasy after our trip to Aulani?? To be continued....

Anyway, I keep checking for Remy reservations almost to the point of obsession! I read the reviews and am really looking forward to it. Please, please, please let there be availability when we get on the ship.

Still haven't booked any excursions for CC. I really wanted to go kayaking but I read you need to be able to walk for 45 minutes to get to the area where the catamarans are. I'm not sure if the walk is on even pavement or through the sand. I have ankle that doesn't always want to cooperate due to arthritis so it's difficult to predict whether I'd be able to tolerate the walk. If anyone with mobility issues has done this excursion, I'd love to hear their experience.

Time to do some online shopping. Good night!

Today is Mon. June 11th, only 3 days to go before our flight to Orlando! It's been a crazy week, lots going on at home what with trying to finalize details for our trip down South next month. But for now my main focus is on our upcoming cruise!

Finally did most of the packing yesterday while watching the Dream sail away. Felt weird packing just for myself and not having to worry about my sons. They're old enough to do it themselves but I'm a bit of a control freak and always feel like I need to check behind them.:rolleyes: As for me, I feel like I've over packed as usual. Hey, a girl has to have options, right?

Totally off topic, but I learned something new about my sister. She's never watched Ratatouille!:scared1: We were talking about Remy the other day and I told her that it's subtly themed after the movie and that's when she told me she had never seen it. No, no, no, that just won't do. I told her if she doesn't watch it before we leave, we're not dining there! In order to really appreciate the ambiance she's gotta see it. I love to cook and my sons and I enjoy fine dining so it's one of our fave movies and I haven't seen it in a while myself.

So the plan for tomorrow is to add some odds and ends to my luggage, stock the fridge for my sons, make sure they've cleaned house and print out our itinerary details for them. Then Wednesday I work half day and the rest of the afternoon will be spent getting hair and nails done, followed by an evening with our family watching Ratatouille.:thumbsup2 Hopefully we'll get to bed early so we can get a good night's sleep. Our flight is at 8:25 which means leaving my house at 6:00 a.m. I'm soooo not a morning person, in fact it takes about a half an hour before I'm willing to engage in any conversation that requires more than a grunt. Well, maybe not that bad but close! In light of that fact I've decided to sleep in my own bed instead of spending the night at my sister's since it'll mean an extra 20 minutes of sleep.

Speaking of sleep, nighty-night!

Woohoo, it's officially Wednesday June 13th, the day before our flight to Orlando! I should be in bed but I forgot an important detail - all of my memory cards are full and I neglected to upload pictures to my computer in order to be able to delete everything and format them. I had promised myself to be in bed no later than midnight but I just finished my little project. And here I was bugging my sister to be in bed by a decent hour. Hah, bet she's still up too!;)

Did groceries as planned so my sons have a fully stocked fridge for the week. All that's left to do is pack my toiletries, take care of a few last minute details at work and then off to enjoy a little pampering at the hair and nail salon.

Hope I can fall asleep!

Well, the day has finally arrived, we're on our way to Orlando! I wanted to post last night but I was too busy with checking, double checking and triple checking last minute details and packing list to make sure I didn't forget anything,

Yesterday went as planned. I was able to get out of the office by noon. Got to my hair appointment on time but my stylist was still working on a client so I had to wait a bit. Fortunately I cheduled my hair and nail appoints 4 hours apart. My stylist is also a personal friend so we always take longer than usual. Met my sister at the nail salon and got a mini spa treatment to kick off relaxation time.:cloud9: Afterwards we picked up pizza and had a fun movie night and watched Ratatouille. This is the first time in all of our Disney trips that I've had a stress free "day before our flight" experience. Love it!

This morning went well too, got up at 5:00, got ready and out the door by 6:15. My brother-in-law got us to the airport by 7:00. Checked our baggage curbside and picked up a quick breakfast of coffee and croissants. By the time we were done eating it was time to board. It was awesome because we actually boarded early so we should be at MCO by 4:00 p.m. since we have a direct flight. Checked in for our room at the Hyatt so hopefully it'll be ready by the time we land.

Interestingly its pretty quiet which is unexpected for the amount of children on the plane and for such a full flight. Kid noise doesn't usually bother me anyway. I know a lot of people have low tolerance for crying toddlers on planes but I've raised three of my own and have also traveled with my niece and nephew so would never give anyone a hard time about it.

Well, guess I'll sign off now. This might be my last post unless I have time before we depart for our cruise on the morning. TTFN!:)

Update! Captain just announced that due to gusty winds at MCO there will be a delay in landing. If there's too much of a delay, we may be diverted to Tampa. For those of you who are planning a first cruise, this is exactly why you never fly in the day of! To be continued...

This is a great report! Can't wait to hear all about tomorrow! (We'll be going on our first cruise in October.)

Thank you and congrats on your upcoming trip!

We made it! That was a close one but I was prepared for the possibility of being diverted to Tampa. I figured we could just rent a car and have dinner at DTD on the way to MCO. Hey, you gotta roll with the punches right? Thankfully it all worked out.

Check in at the Hyatt was super easy, less than 5 minutes since I checked in online. We got room 6006 which has a balcony and view of the courtyard area. After freshening up and changing we headed down to Macaroni Grill and had a nice dinner. After that we walked around a bit, took a few pictures and then grabbed a snack to take back to our room. So far we are absolutely loving the convenience of the Hyatt and I'm so glad we booked a day room since we have a late afternoon flight back home.

Well, time to hit the sack so we can get a good night's sleep for tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to post again before sailing.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter