• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dream Come True for A Disney Fan Trip/Pre-trip report

tstidm1

DIS Veteran
Since I'm at about 120 days before the trip, I thought I would start on my first Pre-trip/trip report for my ABD Backstage Magic. I am going on the DIS exclusive trip on July 6th-11th. Here are the people who will be doing this:

Tom Age 35

I am a Customer Service Representative outside of Baltimore, MD for a major Graphic Novel/Comic Distributor along with being a Disney/Anime Fan. Having also done a lot as a volunteer non-profit staffer for Anime conventions. Besides Anime/comic fandom, I am a Baseball and Football fan who occasionally watches Soccer. Confusing yes, I know.

Marge Age 76

My mother who is the one who infected me with being a Disney fan as a way to help me have a normal childhood after a tragedy in the family at a young age. She's into Baseball and more normal things.

Note before I put out what I hope to give folks from this. I did win this from Dreams Unlimited travel, but I am under no obligation to give a trip report as part of winning the contest. Doing this because I have never done it before and want to try it.

These are the questions I hope to answer for ABD/Disneyland fans in the trip report.

1. Can an ABD be good for solo travelers? Having never done an ABD trip before has made me wonder whether group travel is good for the solo traveling soul. I always travel alone or with my mom to various places including Disney World. This I hope to answer.

2. Is this worth the money people spend? Yes, that is a subjective question because I am under very different circumstances than most.(Paying for flight and a night in Hollywood only.)

3. How much fun is Disneyland for an East Coaster? Lots of East Coasters don't try Disneyland due to being closer to WDW.

Will talk more about the basics of the trip here in a separate post later today when I have more time to type.

Mom and I only had been to Disneyland once. It was a day trip as part of the Future Business Leaders of America conference back in 1993. It ended up being half a day and only got to do a few rides due to it being July 4th when we visited. It was the first time I had been on Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and It’s a Small World. Actually, I am kind of wondering whether the Disney characters fit into the ride because they’re not at WDW. IASW is my favorite dark ride in the world and it’s only in Dark Ride Heaven (Disney Parks).

I didn’t mind the smaller layout of the place, nor that it didn’t have Carousel of Progress or Star Tours back then. I enjoyed walking through Sleeping Beauty Castle and the feeling of Walt’s Park. Knowing it’s changed over the past 21 years because now it has some cool new things to see such as Indiana Jones Adventure (Proudly admit that I’m wish I could be Indiana Jones.) and Roger Rabbit Toontown Spin.

July 5-Fly from BWI to LAX. Get to the Loews Hollywood Hotel or an Airport near LAX. Depends on when flight gets into LAX. A mid-Afternoon flight would have us go to Loews Hollywood because I want to be at starting point. Should decide soon on that due to the payment due date for that. Will probably chill that evening and try to get an In and Out burger (non-animal style) for dinner.

July 6-Part of the day is seeing Universal Hollywood even though Despicable Me is going to be open and very busy there. Went to Universal Hollywood in 2008 and really enjoyed it as much as Universal Orlando because they still do the tram tour. Hoping to get in a ride or two at Transformers due to having not ridden it yet at Universal Orlando.

Tonight is the formal start of the ABD trip with the Welcome Dinner. Not sure what else is planned that evening because there are surprises along the way during an ABD Trip. I expect one of these during the evening.

July 7th-The highlight for me this day is seeing Jim Henson Studios. My generation’s Walt Disney is Jim Henson. Kermit the frog is my favorite Muppet, so seeing the Studios is my expected personal highlight outside of Disneyland. Just seeing the portrait of Jim may make me cry.

Mom is more the general Hollywood type, so the tour seems to be one of her highlights. Not the biggest Hollywood guided tour person because I’ve seen Hollywood, but hope one of the surprises is a film at the El Capitan. The El Capitan is one of the great old Movie Palaces remaining. LA has several of them, so locals may not realize the Gem they have there.

July 8th-This is the day both of us aren’t as sure on. The thing is I’m not sure how Interesting Imagineering is. It feels like the holy grail of hype to me. Something that could be a letdown for me. It’s my education in Mass media that makes me a little cynical when someone says it’s a must see when I haven’t seen enough on it. I think I will be wrong on this front though.

Looking forward to seeing Disneyland in the second half and hopefully catching Fantasmic (Best Evening Spectacular I’ve seen in a Disney Park). Already know what the first ride will be Indiana Jones Adventure. This is also the point where we’re trying something new for mom. She’s going to use an ECV for the first time. Her back isn’t the strongest and she can be down for a day plus when it acts up.

July 9th-This is the Disneyland only day of the trip. Looking forward as a train fan to ride the Lilly Belle and seeing Walt’s Apartment. My hope is to get a decent number of rides especially those that are the classic Dark Rides such as Alice in Wonderland and It’s A Small World. We free time is limited. Looking forward to the possible surprises of this day and Fireworks also.

July 10th-This is a day of total unknown to me because I’ve never been to DCA. Hoping to keep it simple that day and see Carsland and World of Color. Call me crazy, but I want to do Mickey’s Fun Wheel In a stationary car. The views of the parks must be awesome from the top of the Fun wheel. Really want to see Aladdin because that show isn't at WDW along with Mickey and the Magical Map.

July 11th-Going home. Probably the saddest part of the trip, but I hope to make at least one more ride at the EMH park that day. Even on a part day, I try to get a few rides in on the last day of a trip. It helps with the post-parks depression.

One other thing as a question to start this off, I will be getting several sit down meals as part of the trip. Typically one of the meals is at Carthay Circle, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ and Storyteller's Cafe. What other quick service or Sitdown restaurants should I try?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter