~*~ Dream Castle Hotel Review ~*~

Can you drive from here to DLP rather than take the free bus - and if so is parking free ?

Yes you can drive- its only a few minutes although parking is not free unless you have a dream AP.
In summer we used to drive from Holiday Inn (next to dream castle) and park at Hotel New York (free with dream pass) as it was nearer than official carpark.

Not sure how much it is to park at official park

Just back from a stay at the Dream Castle. Not much to add to Little Lizzies's report - I can't believe how comprehensive her report was, so much detail and so many photos, in fact, it was the clincher in our decision to stay at the Dream Castle. So thanks Lizzie.

Reception area

Check-in handled quickly and easily, staff lovely and were very helpful with general questions. We enquired about the amount of walking and getting on and off the Paris tour bus that goes from the Hotel New York because my mum tires easily and finds steps difficult. They suggested that, while she might be able to manage the tour, we consider upgrading to a private tour. While this was more expensive, it gave my mum and sister a wonderful day in Paris, the driver tailored the tour to their requirements, stopping the car really close to the sights so that minimal walking was involved and in some cases just so that they could take photos. They would never have thought of doing it themselves and considered it well worth the extra cost, especially as pickup and dropoff were at the hotel.

There is a little flight of steps in front of the reception desk which allows small children to see over the desk and chat with staff - a nice touch I thought.

Restaurant

Agree with all the positives already listed in Lizzie's report, but have a couple of negatives to add.

Getting a table already laid with cutlery was a bit of a gamble, no problem getting my own cutlery, but found that (as with many places) you had to check to make sure they were clean - some food just doesn't come off completely in dishwashers.

There are two dining rooms, one on the right when you come down the stairs and one on the left. Only the one on the right was open the first two mornings we were there, and only the one of the left on the last morning. The one on the right seemed to have more choices and they brought a coffee pot to your table, the one on the left had coffee machines so you had to get it yourself.

Both rooms had microwaves for heating baby food etc, but I used them to heat up our food. I love buffets but they never seem to have hot plates and as a result by the time you get back to your table the food is cold.

For people with limited mobility - there is a lift from the reception floor down to the restaurant floor, but it isn't obvious at all. In fact, you have to go through doors marked 'emergency exit only' to get to the restaurant from the lift and vice versa. If you need to use the lift ask someone, because there are two sets of lifts, and the one you need is dependent on which dining room is being used (you can probably get through from one dining room to the other but if the point is to save walking you might as well get the right lift in the first place).

Rooms

Loved the rooms, we booked two king rooms and one family room, but asked that they be close to each other. As a result we ended up with three family rooms. This might not suit everyone, but it was really handy for us. Two of our rooms were adjoining with an internal door between them - also handy for us, it felt like we had a suite. These two rooms looked out over the gardens and although they were on the 'ground floor' actually were raised up (the back of the hotel grounds drop down, so rooms on the reception floor are not actually at ground level). This again was great for us because no stairs were involved, it was really quick getting to the room and out, and we had the security of not being at ground level.
The doors from reception into the rooms corridor seemed to do a good job of blocking noise from the exuberant children enjoying the open space of the reception area. A nice touch was the second lower 'peephole' in the room door which allows children or wheelchair bound guests to see who's outside before opening the door.

The toiletries in the bathroom were L'Occitane - a handwash by the sink and shower creme and dry hair shampoo in the shower.

Swimming pool

To get to the pool you have to walk right past it and enter through the changing rooms, even if you aren't planning to swim. Shoes are not allowed in the pool area, so I would suggest if you are planning to accompany people who are swimming you should bring a pair of flip flops. Bear in mind that you will be paddling through about half an inch of water going through to the pool. You are also not permitted to use room towels at the pool - don't know whether they enforce this or not, but hire of towels at the pool is €2 per towel.

Transport

The bus does go quite regularly and getting a seat from the hotel was never a problem for us, although it would be a different thing during weekends and busier periods of the year. However, the Explorer's Hotel pick-up was after us and there was always a huge amount of people getting on there, we had considered that hotel because of the flexibility of their room systems, but having seen the crush for the bus at their stop I wouldn't even consider it in the future.

There are two 'lanes' that vehicles can pull up at outside the hotel, taxis and private transfers seemed to use the one closest to the hotel and the park buses 'usually' used the lane furthest away. Not a problem if you are able bodied, but getting a wheelchair up and down the quite high kerbs and on and off the buses (which rarely stopped close enough to the kerb anyway) was interesting to say the least.

General

We really liked their bar area, a lovely family atmosphere but also restful, with nice quashy sofas and chairs to relax in while downing your drink of choice at the end of an exciting but tiring day. They're very generous with nuts and pretzels etc and having table service when you're knackered is well worth the slightly expensive drinks.

Overall, we loved the Dream Castle, there were a few little niggles but nothing to put us off going back. Their prices are great, especially if four are sharing a room (bunks big enough for small adults if they're up to the climb). The only thing that would stop me using this hotel again would be the bus transfer and then only if going at a busy time, because playing kamikaze sardines is not my idea of a fun event.

Lucy

Hi,
Only been to DLRP once and stayed at Sequioa - grandparents are treating us to a trip and I love the look of this hotel. A couple of questions...

1. How do we get back to the hotel if we spend the evening in the village - is it walkable?

2. How do we get from the Eurostar station to this hotel?

Thanks.

There is a shuttle bus which goes to this hotel however it does get busy as it is shared with Explorers, Kyriad and Holiday Inn.
The 'complex' where the hotels are is just across the main road from santa fe so it is walkable but possibly a little too far and across a busy main road.

They are shared with the other nearby hotels and I think they are every 10/15 mins. They run back to the hotel quite late - possibly midnightish

We were going to stay here but couldn't get a good rate for end of November, onsite was cheaper but we hope to stay one day, it looks really comfortable!

Thanks for the review :thumbsup2

We have stayed at The Cheyenne, Santa Fe, Premmiere Classe at Bussy, The Disneyland Hotel and our last stay was The Dream Castle. I would definately agree that Dream Castle was DEFINATELY the best :cool1:

If money was no object, every stay would be there.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. There was lots for children to do, and I was impressed with breakfast, more so than the Disneyland Hotel. We found that at the Dream Castle, the food was replenished quicker and tables were cleared faster. Also you do not have to select a time for breakfast, so we went to the park for EMH and then came back to eat. Breakfast was served 7am - 11am.

The shuttle buses were quite frequent, it did state every 15 mins (I think) but sometimes 1 followed another, so didn't have to wait too long. Journey took anything from 10-15 mins, depending on how many people were getting on and off from the other hotels. I think the last scheduled one to leave the park is 23.55. And they did start early.

Highly recommend:cheer2:

I agree their breakfast was yummy and the childrens ball pit was a hit with dd and nephew! Plus the pool although I thought the rock edge was a bit dangerous with kids.

They have a vending machine too which sells sandwiches, fruit, yoghurts etc and another that sells juice, water, pop, crisps, choc etc

Does anyone know if you can hire a kettle.
Hoping to manage with hand luggage only so won't have room for one in the case.

I live in the hotel in February 2011, and my partner we are visiting Disneyland. First is slightly further than other hotel, recommended that consideration be given to the Park's free shuttle bus.

I am happy to say my last trip - February 2011 - the shuttle bus service was excellent - good to keep in mind that one bus will often stop at all four associated hotels.:thumbsup2

We stayed here for 4 days/3 nights this week. This is the third of the offsite hotels we have stayed at. We booked with Eurostar travel and the cost of Eurostar and hotel for the 2 of us was just under £600. Bear in mind that we didn't need Park tickets - if you don't have APs you will need to factor in this cost too.

There was no queue for check in. Although it wasn't yet 3 o'clock, our room was ready. The clerk was very nice and thorough - explaining all about the shuttle buses and the location of the bar, restaurants, pool and health spa etc. We were told that the last shuttle bus at this time of year leaves the Village at 11.55 pm.

Our room was on the 5th (top) floor but there are 3 lifts on each side of the building. At first viewing the room seemed a little smaller than other 4 star hotels at Disney (DLH, HNY, Magic Circus) but I think it was just because it had a dormer window and sloping roof, so the end of the room appeared smaller.

The bed was king sized and very comfortable. An unexpected bonus was an empty fridge in the room. You could request that it be filled and use it as a mini bar, or you could just use it as a fridge. It was cool, but possibly not cold enough to store baby milk in. It was ideal though, for keeping our water cool.

The flat screen TV wasn't huge, but they had an impressive number of channels, including BBC1 and CBEEBIES as well as lots of French channels and....... Disneyland TV and the Top Ten Things to Know Before You Go! :cool1:

We didn't try room service but I noticed it was until 11 pm each night. I think it started at 7 am.

There was a safe in the wardrobe. It was big enough to store a tablet PC in as well as passports, Nintendo DS and still a bit of room to spare. Strangely enough there are no drawers, but there were shelves in the wardrobe and we used those instead.

There is a kettle provided as well as coffee, tea and sugar sachets, UHT milk cartons, 2 mugs and plastic stirrers.

The bathroom had a lovely hot and powerful shower, hairdryer with 2 settings, magnifier shaver mirror on a swivel stand and shaver point. The toiletries provided (shower gel, shampoo and liquid soap) were all L'Occitane.
Our rooms had been cleaned (nicely) by midday each day.

One thing I was surprised at was no wireless internet. There was wired network you could pay for, but with so many people having smart phones and tablet PCs, I'm surprised it wasn't wireless. However they have an internet 'corner' on the second floor with 2 computers for free general use, both connected to the internet. On the 2 days I went to use them there was always one free in the middle of the afternoon.

We didn't try any of the treatments at the spa. Neither did we use the pool. We went to, but it looked a little small and was a bit crowded so we changed our mind. The towel hire was €2.

We were at breakfast before 7.15 each morning so there was never any queue - we just chose a table and then got stuck into the buffet. The hot food didn't come out until about ten minutes after the place opened so don't despair as I did on my first morning ("What? No hot food?") There was bacon, sausages, potato tots, baked beans and scrambled eggs. The pancakes were also hot with a choice of honey or chocolate spread. There was a choice of cereal and the usual cold meats and cheeses to choose from as well as fresh fruit cocktail, pear halves in juice, bread (toaster available), rolls, croissants, pain au chocolat, yoghurts, cream cheese, 4 types of jam. A microwave was there for those who like their cereal hot. There were hot drinks and 3 types of juice as well as water. All that we tried we liked.:lovestruc

The gardens were very pretty, laid out in squares and very fragrant with different herbs planted out.The bar opened out to a terrace with tables and umbrellas to shelter from the sun. There is a gate down to the lake where lots of people were walking, sitting on benches, sunbathing or even *gasp* jogging.

The hotel allows you to buy Disney Express service for €11 Euros per room. We chose this and our luggage was waiting for us at the station - worth every cent in my opinion.

Overall there is much to recommend this hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

I only took 2 photos that show the hotel - one is the view from our room as the sun came up and the other is the view from the lake up towards the hotel.

view.jpg

103_5279.jpg

We stayed here from Sunday 6th November to 9th November.
We arrived to check in at around 9.15am. My first impression was the scent as you enter the main doors - I think Strawberry bonbons, DD thinks Calpol :rotfl::rotfl:!

208.jpg

210.jpg

My next impressions were boy its noisy in here, and there are 2 queues of people, one to check in and one to check out. After about 5 minutes waiting, a 3rd staff member appeared so from then the guests were dealt with quickly. Our room was ready for us, room 1147 on the same level as reception.

041.jpg

043.jpg

the rooms and corridors were lovely, well decorated and clean. We had a king-size bed and a set of bunks in our room, easy chair, chair and dressing table, TV and fridge, wardrobe with safe, bedside tables, and coat hooks next to the wardrobe. Extra pillows in the wardrobe, and all the beds were made, even though there were only the 2 of us booked into the room.

There are no timeslots for breakfast at this hotel, you are seated by a waitress. On our first morning we were in the restaurant on the left as you come down the stairs, and although it was busy, there was no queue to be seated and plenty of access to the buffet items and hot drinks machine. The other 2 mornings we were in the restaurant on the right, again, no problems getting seats or getting our food and drinks.

The continental breakfast selection was good, (I became slightly addicted to croissants with cream cheese ;)) but the coffee wasn't nice (I switched to tea after the first cup), and neither were most of the hot breakfast items. The bacon was good (streaky but crisp, I like cremated crispy streaky bacon and managed to get this every morning) and the cubed potatoes were also good. The scrambled eggs were a very strange consistency and were not seasoned at all, the beans were pale looking and slightly crunchy to the taste, and the sausages looked very anaemic (so I didn't try them).

We didn't have time to go swimming in the pool here, and really didn't spend any time in the public areas except to check in/out and go to breakfast.

The shuttles to and from the parks ran very well, we didn't wait any longer than 10 minutes at the most for any journey, and often in the evening coming back from the Village you'd see one 54 bus arriving at the bus stop just as another was leaving. Each morning from 8.30 until noon the buses only serviced 2 hotels instead of 4, so the Magic Circus and Dream Castle were paired up, and the Kyriad and Explorers had their separate bus.

I think I prefer the layout of the public areas of the Dream Castle slightly over the Magic Circus, but apart from that I really don't think theres much to choose between the two hotels.

We really enjoyed our stay here, and hope to return.

We stayed here for 1 night on the last night of our trip - Wednesday 9th May 2012

The exterior is beautiful, it's a lovely looking hotel. On walking in there is a real sweet candy floss smell this is really nice :lovestruc Lewis loved the lobby area:

2012_0510Disney120417.jpg

2012_0510Disney120419.jpg

2012_0510Disney120424.jpg

2012_0510Disney120425.jpg

There is also an area with arcade machines and some pool tables. Personally, I'd have preferred it if these had been hidden away a bit more.

We were seen at reception quite quickly and checked in ok. Our bags had been transferred from another hotel and the receptionist said they were in the baggage room before I'd even mentioned it. We were given our room 4085. Unfortunately on entering the room there was a distinct smell of cigarette smoke. DH phoned down to reception and they said housekeeping would come up, but we knew that they wouldn't be able to get rid of the smell. So we went back to reception, this time having to wait 40 minutes to be seen! The receptionist was apologetic, but given that we were the only people waiting, I think it was a bit too long a wait. We were given another room next door, 4083, so went back up and transferred our stuff. On first look the room seemed fine:

2012_0510Disney120427.jpg

2012_0510Disney120428.jpg

2012_0510Disney120429.jpg

2012_0510Disney120430.jpg

I liked the tea and coffee facilities. Also a small fridge, but not very cold - more cool. TV had UK channels, BBC, Cebeebies etc.

2012_0510Disney120431.jpg

Bathroom was small, but everything there you'd need. Loccitane toiletries, hairdryer, plenty of towels and a good shower.

2012_0510Disney120432.jpg

2012_0510Disney120434.jpg

2012_0510Disney120436.jpg

I liked this picture on the bathroom wall

2012_0510Disney120433.jpg

Beautiful view from our room

2012_0510Disney120437.jpg

The wardrobe has a safe and extra pillows. Lewis loved that there was a curtain across the bed and individual beds.

However, we didn't have the best of nights. We had been at the park all evening and got back late, after 11pm. I had set the air con to full, as it was warm, but when we got back it had no effect, despite hearing it on. Abbey wasn't able to sleep properly as the bunk bed is not full size. We booked 3 adults and 1 child but the bunks are not full size, so not really suitable for a 15 year old. The double bed had a large lump in the middle which mean I rolled over the side all night. There was also a large crack in the bathroom sink and loose tiles on the floor.

If we were staying more than one night or had noticed all of these things earlier we would have asked to be moved. But, given that we had been on the go all day there was no way I was asking to move everything at close to midnight.

Breakfast was not too great either. The hot items were either under or over done. The cereal was not very good, not branded, and there was little choice of bread rolls. Also no apple juice - ds doesn't drink fresh orange so he was stuck with nothing to drink.

All minor niggles, and to be honest us being exhausted didn't help give a good view on things. I was so disappointed that we didn't have a good stay as had really been looking forward to staying here. I think we maybe just got some bad luck here as all other review have been good. On the plus side there was free wifi in the lobby, not in the room, which Abbey made good use of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter