~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

I have a serious lack of photos this trip LOL!!!

2019 Walt Disney World 5K

Just so this is out there....I'm not a fan of Disney 5K races. I hate the early wake-up for 3 miles, wall to wall walkers and the insanely long character lines. I do love running in the parks when it is still dark and everything is lit up :love:

It was going to be the coldest race morning so I wore tights, long sleeves & wool socks. Not pictured are my mittens, headband that covers my ears, hand warmers and mylar blanket. I think I stayed warm waiting in the corrals, but my memory is bad. I know I was way too hot while running.

upload_2019-1-29_8-5-19.png

I debated driving over to the 5K and ended up taking the bus. I made a bad choice. I made my way to the pre-race meetup with other Dis folks. We made our way over to the corrals and wasn't long before they were moving us. I was with @jennamfeo, @Keels & @Princess KP, but somehow got separated from them in the mass of people. They were sending the corrals off in mini-waves, but the volunteers were way too close to the starting line. They were only letting a few hundred start at once. The wave in front of me was maybe 6 people deep in spots. I was in the middle in corral A and crossed the starting line at 5:47am. They were still sending off corral C when I crossed the finish line :sad2:

upload_2019-1-29_8-5-50.png

Jenna caught up with me and after chatting we become running buddies. We run similar paces and didn't really have a plans for any of the races other than to get on Expedition Everest during the full.

The character lines were crazy long, but we made an exception for Scottish Goofy!

upload_2019-1-29_8-6-7.png

Test Track Donald was sort of hidden which made his line short!

upload_2019-1-29_8-6-38.png

And then we were done.

upload_2019-1-29_8-7-50.png

Race 1 of 4 Complete!

upload_2019-1-29_8-8-17.png

The line for Oswald was longer than I cared to wait in so I made my way to the busses. I should have just waited for Oswald. Even though the busses were staged and it was cold and windy they were not letting the runners on until exactly 7am or maybe 7:15.

After getting back to Beach Club and thawing out in a hot shower I made my way over to MK.

upload_2019-1-29_8-22-8.png

I rode Space Mountain & Haunted Mansion. It was 10:45 and I was getting hungry, but my BOG lunch ADR wasn't until 12pm. I opened MDE and out of curiosity looked for an earlier time. 11am popped up! I grabbed it and made my way over. I was still so cold so I ordered some French Onion Soup to go along with my Croque Monsieur & Lemon Cupcake. I had ordered green beans with my sandwich, but they brought me fries. The cart person was so nice and quickly got me some green beans. The soup was hot and tasty, but I had very little soup and a giant wad of cheese in my bowl. The sandwich was okay. I didn't finish it. Green beans were good and I didn't touch the fries. The cupcake was delicious!

I had a FP+ for Dumbo, but I was still cold and getting tired. I stopped for a coffee at Starbucks (no line!!!) and went back to Beach Club for a nap.

After my nap I drove over to Disney Springs and scored a primo spot in the Lime Garage on floor 2 by the entrance. I made the obligatory stop at World of Disney. I really don't like the new store layout or the selection of merchandise. I ordered a Dopey phone case and Magic Band at D-Tech. While I waited for those to be done I went over to Sprinkles and got by BOGO cupcakes (vanilla with white sprinkles & chocolate marshmallow). I picked up my items from D-Tech & ran into Jenna and Karen. We decided to get a drink before dinner and ended up at Enzo's Hideaway with the worst service ever and after an intervention by Keels our drinks were on the house. Dinner was at Morimoto Asia. I had the eggrolls & orange chicken. After dinner we went over to Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Floridian. I drove back to Beach Club and got everything ready for another early morning!​

Last edited:

You look so good in your finish line photo! Glad you had a fun 5K! And the real miracle of this day was NO line at the MK Starbucks ;)

Love Scottish Goofy and very jealous of that one! That finish line photo with you and Jenn is awesome. It was a chilly day but the sky was beautiful. I love your castle picture.

Mini Life & Training Update
I have a new plan I started last week. Hip has been bugging me a little and I made arrangements to transfer my care to a sports ortho. I have a MRI next week.

It took a year, but I'm officially under 130 pounds. I weighed in yesterday at 128.8 pounds! When you stop shoving candy in your face all the time magical things happen pixiedust:

Home life has gone through some transitions. Starting this week my son will be part time homeschool and part time public high school. The homeschooling is through our school district's virtual school. I'm nervous, but I think it will be better for my son.​

So here I am thinking I’ll have all kinds of times for updating this journal while my son does his virtual school stuff. Nope. It’s been quite the week getting set up online, learning to navigate everything, welcome calls with teachers to get our courses activated and catching up on the course load. We still don’t have access to his English class assignments and who thought throwing in 5 weeks of statistics was a good idea for Algebra 1??? I never took statistics in high school or college FOR A REASON. IT SUCKS!!!

Oh wow best of luck to you! I will say it's my observation that stats is one of those things: If you have a knack for it, it's easy, but if you don't, it's very hard. No in-between. Crossing my fingers your son has the knack! You're doing important work Bree don't get discouraged!

Ugh what a headache!! Hoping everything gets sorted out and the homeschooling becomes easier.

Insurance companies are stupid. My MRI was denied because it wasn’t medically necessary??? Their suggestion was that I strength train for six weeks with ice/rest after each session.

I saw a new sports ortho on Friday that specializes in hips. He is very familiar with my insurance company and how to get what he wants. He went over my history with running, strength training, etc then examed me and said it’s definitely something going on with the hip joint. He was very displeased with the previous doctor completely ignoring the pain I was having towards the groin and down the front of my thigh. They took more Xrays to compare to the ones I had 12/31. Nothing broken, but still have a lot of inflammation. My insurance mandates a cortisone shot to the hip joint as the next step. He gave me one in the office. He said for now there’s no reason to stop any physical activity and to bike & run as much as I’m feeling up for it. He sent his clinical notes over to my insurance company right after my appt. He’s hoping his notes can speed things along. As of Friday night the dye injection for the MRI was approved, but not the MRI. My MRI is scheduled for Monday afternoon so hopefully everything gets approved.

I did not run this week, but I used the stationary bikes three times at the gym. I was dead after each ride so I’m hoping I’m getting some benefit out of it. My bum really hurts, but I’m not sure I’m ready to invest in those padded bike shorts just yet. After the shot in my hip on Friday I was in so much pain. He warned me it would get worse before it got better. Saturday I was a tiny bit better and lasted 90 minutes on the bike before my legs were just to tired to keep going. By Saturday night I was feeling so much better. This morning I’m stiff, but pain free!!! Fingers crossed things stay this way and I can get some easy runs in this week.

Insurance companies are stupid.

They are. Don't see how they approve the dye but not the MRI itself. That makes no sense.

I did not run this week, but I used the stationary bikes three times at the gym. I was dead after each ride so I’m hoping I’m getting some benefit out of it. My bum really hurts, but I’m not sure I’m ready to invest in those padded bike shorts just yet.

Aside from time on the bike, two things make a huge difference in comfort during a ride - your saddle and your shorts. Since you can't do much about the saddle on a bike at your gym, a proper pair of cycling shorts would be a good investment. You don't need anything overly fancy, just ones with a decent chamois and minimal or no seams.

They are. Don't see how they approve the dye but not the MRI itself. That makes no sense.

Aside from time on the bike, two things make a huge difference in comfort during a ride - your saddle and your shorts. Since you can't do much about the saddle on a bike at your gym, a proper pair of cycling shorts would be a good investment. You don't need anything overly fancy, just ones with a decent chamois and minimal or no seams.

Maybe I’ll stop by the bike shop this week. I have no pain with my hip when on the bike so I’d like to keep at it for days when I just can’t run. It’s a whole new territory for me when it comes to cycling. I’m just putting it in manual mode and trying to keep the RPM between 80-100 adjusting the resistance up and down at timed intervals. I think I need shoes with clips for the spin class. I was going to check their spin bikes out this week to double check.

Ugh. Insurance. I hope the new doctor can get you all set up and approved for the MRI and you can finally get some answers!

Fingers crossed you get your MRI approved today - insurance companies can be the worst sometimes.

(Also, hi, I've been lurking, and I decided to pop out of the woodwork around here).

Best of luck with the insurance company. Hope everything works out for you.

Hoping the MRI can bring some answers and get you back running pain free! I work for a supplemental insurance company (you may have seen our spokesperson the duck before, LOL) and cannot tell you how frustrating the major medical insurance companies are to deal with when it comes to trying to pay our customer's claims. Fingers crossed they get their act together!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter