~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

I just realized yesterday this will be my first half with no corrals. I decided to look up finisher results.

2017: 271
2016: cancelled due to hurricane Matthew
2015: 462
2014: 293

Well, that is certainly different than what I’m used to with only having run Disney half marathons.

Love your outfit so much!! I should probably get some sweat bands. I usually just use my shirt because I am classy. Hahaha.

You are totally gonna rock this race!

Love your outfit so much!! I should probably get some sweat bands. I usually just use my shirt because I am classy. Hahaha.

You are totally gonna rock this race!
I actually pulled up the bottom of my shirt and blew my nose in it after a run at the park. It was disgustingly sweaty already and I planned on taking it off when I got to my car in 5 steps. But I looked to my right and there was a guy sitting in his pickup truck trying not to look horrified at what I had done. So yeah wiping sweat is fine by me.

Ran my personal worst Half EVER. I’ll be back with details later. No idea what I ran it in but it was over 2:45. Forgot to stop my watch until we were in the car on the way to the hotel. Oops.

Hey, chin up! At least you finished and logged another half marathon in the books! This race doesn’t reflect your training because you killed that even with extreme weather and pneumonia! You’re certainly an inspiration to me and my training goals!

It’s ok! And I’m sorry it didn’t go well. You had every right to bail on this one but you didn’t.

Ran my personal worst Half EVER. I’ll be back with details later. No idea what I ran it in but it was over 2:45. Forgot to stop my watch until we were in the car on the way to the hotel. Oops.

We all have bad races now and then. You finished, though, which counts for something.

Sorry the race didn't go as you had hoped, but congrats on making it through 13.1 miles and surviving being on your feet for 3 hours!

Proud of you for finishing! It was a HOT day today and you had all the reasons in the world to not even run it. Great job pushing through!

Let’s talk about what happened this yesterday. I’m happy to have just finished at all because early on I thought I’d have to pull myself from the course.

We got to the staging area around 6:45am. I was a bundle of nerves so I decided to do a few loops around the very tiny parking lot. I made it around once. I didn’t feel quite right after that first loop. The bugs were really bad and I was getting bit so we walked over to where they were providing free bug spray. There were no corrals so I put myself about towards the back of the pack. I knew as I was standing there that a PR was not going to happen. I decided to give my pace plan a shot in the beginning and then drop down to my long run pace and just survive. It was so humid out and there was no breeze and the sun was starting to come up. I was sweating just standing there. The director of the school hosting the race prayed over us and then we were off.

Miles 1-2: Plan was to run these no faster than 10:25 and I failed - 10:13, 10:10. Heart rate was immediately in the 190’s within the first 1/4 mile. I thought possibly it was just nerves and adrenaline inflating it. I felt fine otherwise. My breathing was good and my legs felt great.

Mile 3-6: Plan was to run these no faster than 10:10. Mile 3 I ran in 10:04 and I was still feeling strong. I grabbed water just after the 3rd mile marker and ate some honey stinger gummies. My heart rate during mile 4 was at 194 so I made a decision at that point I was done with the faster paces and dropped down to my EB pace of 11:47. I finished mile 4 in 11:36. I kept at the slower pace with the goal of just finishing the race. My head started feeling funny. I wasn’t dizzy. It felt like I was under water. I don’t know how to explain it. My heart rate was now at 199. I immediately stopped running and walked. I had already gone by the last water stop. There was nobody around me so I decided to just keep walking to the next one and pull myself from the race. The sun was beating down and it was miserable out there, but my head cleared up. I decided to run 1 Minute then walk 1 Minute to get myself to the next water stop. Every time I tried to run longer than a minute my heart rate went up and my head felt funny. Miles 5 & 6 were 13:09, 12:54.

Miles 7-10: I stopped just after 6 miles at the next aid station. I was feeling okay. Not great, but my head didn’t feel so weird. I used the porta potty, drank some water and ate some gummies. I decided to keep going keeping my running portion at 1 Minute. I figured I was almost halfway done. I’ll just see this through. I don’t have intervals set up on my watch and have no clue how to do it. I know I ended up walking more than running! Splits: 14:01, 13:41, 13:16, 13:56.

Miles 11-13: This was the most horrible 5K of my life. I was in the sun the entire way to the finish line. Splits: 14:32, 14:39, 13:15.

I got water, Gatorade and my medal and just laid in the grass in a little patch of shade. I just wanted a shower, my pajamas and a bed. I thought I had stopped my watch, but I guess I didn’t. In the car on the way back to the hotel I got a pace alert for mile 14. My fastest mile ever coming in at 4:29 :rotfl2:

Official time of 2:47:13. Finished 187/279 & 16/30 in age group. There were over 400 people at the start. I know at least one person ended up in an ambulance and I saw three golf carts with runners on them headed towards the finish. At mile 8 a man who I had been following behind just gave up. He just walked over to the side of the road and just sat down. It was brutal out there. I ran the princess half earlier this year and thought this was worse.

B6FBBF42-7DBC-4FA7-9CF8-E12EA0C905C4.jpeg

After all that I’d like to run this race again. It was such a beautiful course and island. I just hope to be feeling better next time!

Great job finishing! The heat/humidity humbles us all, but you're stronger for having kept going and finished in those conditions.

Way to finish! I had anxiety just reading this! The heat/humidity suffocates me when I run, so I knew what you were talking about. The HR in the 190s is also something I can relate to! It’s such a scary feeling! I think the heat and high heart rate causes panic for me and I just quit. This is exactly the reason I couldn’t run Star Wars! I feel for you! Such a champ for finishing and wanting to give it another go! Props to you!!!

That does not sound like fun conditions for a race. Congrats on deciding to keep going and somehow making it to the finish line!

Also ... the intervals are in the run settings. There should be an option to add alerts, and you can add run/walk alerts (at least that's how it works on my current watch - my old watch just had a "run/walk" setting within the run settings).

Hey, chin up! At least you finished and logged another half marathon in the books! This race doesn’t reflect your training because you killed that even with extreme weather and pneumonia! You’re certainly an inspiration to me and my training goals!

It’s ok! And I’m sorry it didn’t go well. You had every right to bail on this one but you didn’t.

We all have bad races now and then. You finished, though, which counts for something.

Sorry the race didn't go as you had hoped, but congrats on making it through 13.1 miles and surviving being on your feet for 3 hours!

Proud of you for finishing! It was a HOT day today and you had all the reasons in the world to not even run it. Great job pushing through!

Great job finishing! The heat/humidity humbles us all, but you're stronger for having kept going and finished in those conditions.

Way to finish! I had anxiety just reading this! The heat/humidity suffocates me when I run, so I knew what you were talking about. The HR in the 190s is also something I can relate to! It’s such a scary feeling! I think the heat and high heart rate causes panic for me and I just quit. This is exactly the reason I couldn’t run Star Wars! I feel for you! Such a champ for finishing and wanting to give it another go! Props to you!!!

I was feeling the heat & humidity just reading that! Good for you for finishing!

Thanks everyone! It was quite the experience. Even though I thought I was feeling so much better, my body obviously wasn’t healed from pneumonia.

Recovery has been exhausting. I have slept so much. I napped for nearly three hours after the race, went to bed early, slept in on Sunday, dozed on the way home from Georgia, took a two hour nap when I got home and was in bed at 6:45.

You were smart to listen to your body. Don't think of it as a bad race, but a smart race. And you still beat a big percentage of the field!!!

Heat is the worst, I hope you get another less hot chance at this race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!