Dream and summer school question

Cruella 66

DIS Veteran
We'll be on the Dream in July and my daughter (15) will be taking PE in summer school to open up her schedule for other classes in the 2018-19 school year. The PE course will require her to raise her heart rate for 40 minutes and have 10 minute warm up and cool downs. Does the Dream have a work out room that she would be able to use? Do they have a track on the ship she could run? I remember one, I think, that I walked in the past. Thank you, Cindy

We'll be on the Dream in July and my daughter (15) will be taking PE in summer school to open up her schedule for other classes in the 2018-19 school year. The PE course will require her to raise her heart rate for 40 minutes and have 10 minute warm up and cool downs. Does the Dream have a work out room that she would be able to use? Do they have a track on the ship she could run? I remember one, I think, that I walked in the past. Thank you, Cindy

The gym is reserved for adults. People do run and walk on the deck 4 promenade. You could also make circuits of the pool and sports decks which would include some stairs. Deck 13 has Goofy's sports deck which has a basketball court and could be used for other exercise.

Been there done that with a kid who was enrolled in online HOPE class while we cruised. He went up on to the Goofy sports deck super early in the morning with a parent and a stop watch. He ran drills and even brought a jump rope to break up the running back and forth. It sort of stunk to get up early every day of vacation but it was nice to have an empty area to work in and check it off daily before our day started. It was also a nice and peaceful way to start our day with very little people out and about.

As others have said, the gym is 18+, but I do believe there are times where the teen youth programs schedule time up there, but I don't recall if that happens on the shorter cruises. The track on Deck 4 is her best bet.

Thank you everyone! I love the jump rope idea, too! I did ask her and her brother (17) if they wanted to do the Castaway 5K and they said yes so I'll sign them up for that. I plan on walking it. ;)
Yes the 5k will be a good one to do. As a job well done. You could even get a photo by the finish line timer with medal in hand! Just rememebr it is going to be really hot in the summer so hydrate hydrate hydrate!

Shoot, i get my heart rate up just walking up and down the stairs from deck 3 to the pool deck. Early in the morning, the forward stairs dont ever have hardly anyone on them.

Ran into that issue with our son on a December cruise. He played High School baseball and hoped to workout. Only 1 hour the entire week when the gym was open to kids, and then only with the kids club.
Odd to me on a family cruise that isn't a time every day when those under 18 were allowed in.

My son and daughter both ran track and cross country in high school and had many miles to log, even on vacation. Deck 4 is your friend when you are under 18 as you have no access to the gym. Sports deck and running stairs are also great options.
DSC_0298.jpeg

One word about deck 4 that I don't see mentioned -- on the classic ships, the forward end of the deck 4 loop runs through an area where there's large machinery for docking the ship. The track is separated from all that by a railing and plenty of space, so it's perfectly safe, but at one point I went to walk the loop and that end of it was cordoned off because they were in the middle of an "anchoring operation." This was in the middle of the day at port, so I don't know if it was supposed to be opened up once they'd docked and they just forgot to take down the cordone, or if it was meant to be closed as long as the ship was in port. I'd be curious to hear from those who have sailed on the bigger ships and used the deck 4 track on whether it runs through a similar area, or if it's usable at all times.

One word about deck 4 that I don't see mentioned -- on the classic ships, the forward end of the deck 4 loop runs through an area where there's large machinery for docking the ship. The track is separated from all that by a railing and plenty of space, so it's perfectly safe, but at one point I went to walk the loop and that end of it was cordoned off because they were in the middle of an "anchoring operation." This was in the middle of the day at port, so I don't know if it was supposed to be opened up once they'd docked and they just forgot to take down the cordone, or if it was meant to be closed as long as the ship was in port. I'd be curious to hear from those who have sailed on the bigger ships and used the deck 4 track on whether it runs through a similar area, or if it's usable at all times.

Yes, as you stated, the magic/Wonder have the area unusable at times making for not a loop when you run, but having to turn around and run the other way. Not ideal. I have only been on the Dream-not the Fantasy-yet :thumbsup2 and I don't recall any areas being blocked off. We were running deck 4 and docking in Nassau and had no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter