Dream aft verandah thoughts?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I am about decided to keep my Feb cruise and just change cabin categories (that my TA can do online)... I’m currently in 9012 and am pondering changing to a 5E... I have never done an aft cabin. These are the ones available...

I am leaning towards 9174 as I love being high up. But that one doesn’t have the Cabanas noise that 10660 would.

Thoughts on any?

We have never sailed in an aft cabin on Disney, but did so on NCL this past summer. My opinion - go for it!!! Once you go aft, you never go back. :goodvibes The views are incredible as there is no need to worry if you are on the correct side of the ship for the best scenery - you get it all. Even when there wasn't much to see, I could just sit out there and watch the wake for hours. It is so peaceful and relaxing.

The only reason I'd avoid it was if you were very prone to seasickness as it tends to be smoother the more mid ship you are. I've read people complaining about vibrations in the aft on the Fantasy, but don't know if that's true for the Dream. It wouldn't deter me anyway as we find the motion of the ship soothing and relaxing. We were on a very old ship, and it did creak and groan (a lot) when we came into port which apparently can be an "aft thing", but we just looked at it as a great alarm clock. There was no chance we were going to oversleep on a port day!! I'd be hard pressed to go back to mid ship after that experience. We have two cruises booked and both are aft cabins. Cannot wait! Give me a book, a lounge chair and that view and I'm golden.

Last edited:
I am about decided to keep my Feb cruise and just change cabin categories (that my TA can do online)... I’m currently in 9012 and am pondering changing to a 5E... I have never done an aft cabin. These are the ones available...

I am leaning towards 9174 as I love being high up. But that one doesn’t have the Cabanas noise that 10660 would.

Thoughts on any?
We sailed in 8164 on the Dream in December and loved it. I didn't realize how great it would feel to be a quick walk from the aft elevators (and therefore a quick walk from Cabanas & Palo). It made getting food & bringing it back to the cabin almost effortless.

We have never sailed in an aft cabin on Disney, but did so on NCL this past summer. My opinion - go for it!!! Once you go aft, you never go back. :goodvibes The views are incredible as there is no need to worry if you are on the correct side of the ship for the best scenery - you get it all. Even when there wasn't much to see, I could just sit out there and watch the wake for hours. It is so peaceful and relaxing.

The only reason I'd avoid it was if you were very prone to seasickness as it tends to be smoother the more mid ship you are. I've read people complaining about vibrations in the aft on the Fantasy, but don't know if that's true for the Dream. It wouldn't deter me anyway as we find the motion of the ship soothing and relaxing. We were on a very old ship, and it did creek and groan (a lot) when we came into port which apparently can be an "aft thing", but we just looked at it as a great alarm clock. There was no chance we were going to oversleep on a port day!! I'd be hard pressed to go back to mid ship after that experience. We have two cruises booked and both are aft cabins. Cannot wait! Give me a book, a lounge chair and that view and I'm golden.

Thanks! Motion is not an issue for me at all. (TBH, I cannot see spending the kind of money you drop on cruises if I got sea sick. Paying to be miserable or have to be drugged up? No thank you.)

I'm still not 100% giving up on possibly having my birthday on Castaway with a Double Dip... No one has priced that one yet. So we'll see.

We have 6192 booked for our next cruise and it will be our second time in that room. We LOVED it the first time we had it. It is the "flag room" so the flag flies from your balcony while in port. We thought that was neat, and the balcony is HUGE. We had 2 loungers, 2 regular chairs and a table out there with room to spare. We weren't bothered by motion or noise.

I have my second cruise coming up in 9174/9176 on the Fantasy. I love those rooms. (Last Christmas they were booked and I felt like I was missing something the entire week). For me, aft is the way to go. I didn’t mind the vibrations. My husband and sister said they felt it more back there but not enough to deter either of them from wanting to rebook them. Felt the vibrations more on the first night while we were still around Florida and while pulling into ports. Other than that it was fine.
The balcony is amazing. The kids loved ordering room service at night and having our own little party on the loungers. The views are incredible. And so much space. 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a table.
I also loved the “privacy” part- the rooms are in the aft hallway and very little traffic. The only ones you should hear are your 2-3 neighbors.
Some say there wasn’t privacy on the balcony but there is so much overhang that you get what you need.
This cruise coming up I plan on ordering my coffee the night before and just sitting outside in the morning to watch the sunrise. (My theme for the cruise is all about relaxing!).

Last edited:
I almost always book an aft veranda (normally on Celebrity), but this is my first Disney Cruise and I was surprised that they offered a GTY for the aft category.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any aft location on any ship!

We've stayed in 9172 and 9674 on the Dream. Both are really nice and did not hear noise from Cabana's. The longer veranda is nice as they more room to spread out. At the time we had the rooms 2014 and 2015 they had a chase lounge, and two chairs. Views from the aft are really good to, especially when coming into and at port.

I've sailed 8188 and and 8682. Both were great. The 6192 should have a slightly more wider balcony than the others, because there is a supply closet (that never bothered us in 8188) on one side. So the extra balcony space is given to that room. I would avoid deck 10 simply because of proximity to cabanas, and people eating outside at cabanas and birds that like to fly around while in port. rooms like 9672 have a weird door sharing with the neighbor where the doors are in very close proximity. Since you've sailed before you know that the doors don't often close very lightly. Granted these are all nit picky type things, but since you asked that's what my sense is worth. I'd book 7690 or 6192, probably 7690 though since there is the flag on deck 6.

I have sailed in 7192 on the Dream and 6192 on the Fantasy and LOVED them. We have another one for this summer - 6690 and then 5150 on the Wonder and then we mix it up and try a 4E on the Dream in 2019! I have a thing for big verandahs!

Thanks all! This is my back-up plan if the ones my TA is looking at for the summer price me out.

I sailed an aft verandah on Fantasy. It was deck 9 dead center. Granted this was back in 2013 & I’m not sure how things may have changed after the dry dock last year.... but I’m pretty well assured to NEVER sail aft again. Ever. The vibrating shook everything. Clanking stuff on shelves. Hangers in the closet (granted I can put a stop to that). To me it was like our room was sitting on top of a giant washing machine that was on the spin cycle. Woke me up st night. Also, soot on the verandah. I didn’t want to mess up my shorts by touching anything. I know others swear by them but for me, NEVER again. I’d take an inside room forward before I took an aft verandah again.

We just got off the Dream with two aft cabins (1064, 1066). Loved the balcony and the peaceful view. Didn't do my homework on the noise! Cabanas noise starts early... 6am. My DH was irritated by it. The vibration was noticeable but didn't bother us. I'd do an aft cabin again on a lower deck.

We sailed in 8188 on the Dream in October. We absolutely loved it! I’d say go for one of the AFT rooms. I’m sure you can’t go wrong with any.

We had 9672 aft on the dream and loved it! We have only stayed aft and the vibrations don't bother us at all. Occasionally when we were on the veranda we could hear (faintly) some music from Cabanas but it wasn't bothersome to us.

So update! :)

I did change my Feb booking to the July 17, 2019 Dream 4-night Double Dip. Because...Serenity Bay on my birthday? Yes, please!!! And while I'd initially booked a 5A on Deck 10 Forward, I kept looking at the 5Es - and there were a LOT of them still left. I wrote down the non-connecting ones (I have never had an issue with a connecting room...just prefer to not have one if possible) and emailed my TA this morning to ask what her thoughts on aft-facing balconies...and I gave her the numbers of ones I was looking at if she thought changing was worth it.

Her response: I only have two words about aft-facing balconies. LOVE. THEM. I'll be calling to switch you today!

I am now in 8188 on the Dream for my birthday in 2019!!

So excited!!!

We just got off the Dream with two aft cabins (1064, 1066). Loved the balcony and the peaceful view. Didn't do my homework on the noise! Cabanas noise starts early... 6am. My DH was irritated by it. The vibration was noticeable but didn't bother us. I'd do an aft cabin again on a lower deck.

I'd be sure to bring scuba equipment if you try for a lower deck balcony :sail:.

We have stayed in 8188 several times as well as aft rooms on decks 6 and 9. These are our favorites but you must be prepared for the vibration (usually only bothersome while docking). Remove all unused hangers and place on floor of closet, make sure that glassware is not touching, close safe door. Those things will rattle and wake you up. Order room service for breakfast and plan on eating on verandah. It's lovely.

We have stayed in 8188 several times as well as aft rooms on decks 6 and 9. These are our favorites but you must be prepared for the vibration (usually only bothersome while docking). Remove all unused hangers and place on floor of closet, make sure that glassware is not touching, close safe door. Those things will rattle and wake you up. Order room service for breakfast and plan on eating on verandah. It's lovely.

Room service breakfast is not an option as I am gluten-free. (Actually the only thing I could get is a *yawn* salad or Mickey Bars.)

We've been in 9172 and 6188 on the Dream, 8188 on the Fantasy (where we will be again in 2 weeks:yay:).
We LOVE the aft cabins - the balconies are huge with the 2 loungers and 2 regular chairs, the easy access to Cabanas and MDRs (we take the aft stairs everywhere), the ability to sit out on that awesome balcony while backing into ports. We also have been able to see the pirate night fireworks from all of those balconies. On a day at sea, I spent all morning lying out on the balcony in the sun and reading - heavenly. There may be more movement, but we really don't notice because the very 1st cruise we took was on the Dream in 6188 so we really don't know different!
We also happened to luck out when we booked a relatively last minute Dream cruise GTY and got the starboard aft accessible room which has the absolutely enormous wrap-around balcony. It was amazing!
We put clothes on the hangers and put any unused ones on the floor of the closet.
DH and I took a Celebrity cruise to Alaska and also booked completely aft and it was great for viewing both shores in Tracey Arm and also seeing whale spouts behind us while we were moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts