Downward trend in runDisney?

I'm brokenhearted! I loved running through AK! I've run that Epcot 5k course a few times too many. And since I'm signed up to run Rival Run 5k and Challenge, I may have skipped registering for W&D 5k if I had known it was the same course. Well, at least I didn't run the same course this past January; I was "only" Goofy.
Yeah, I'm over both that course and the one they use for the WDW/Princess Half. Saves me some money I guess!

I'd say the potential suckers are us return runners, not the runners who go down for a one and done race to experience Disney. A lot of this may come down to what RunDisney feels their core demographic is. Are they generating the most revenue from loyal returning runners for whom a variety of courses is a selling point or is it the one time visitor that is not going to care where the course runs as long as it's at Disney? Every year around W&D and SWDS/SWRR time, I see posts about the courses complaining that they don't run through the castle. Experienced rD runners may enjoy the variety that has been on offer while newer runners may be disappointed that their once in a lifetime race isn't "Disney" iconic enough. I'd love to know what feedback they're getting and how much it's skewed one way or another.
There's a lot of truth to this. My 10th runDisney half (4th half at WDW) was the first time I got to run through the MK. I really enjoyed the MK part of the course, but completely understand why people are tired of those races. The post MK part of that course is boring and if that was the only WDW course I ran, it would get old real quick.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the Star Wars courses once Galaxy's Edge is open. Will they cut out AK altogether from the Star Wars course to fit Galaxy's Edge in? I can't imagine they're crazy enough to have a Star Wars race that does not go through Galaxy's Edge?

There's a lot of truth to this. My 10th runDisney half (4th half at WDW) was the first time I got to run through the MK. I really enjoyed the MK part of the course, but completely understand why people are tired of those races. The post MK part of that course is boring and if that was the only WDW course I ran, it would get old real quick.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the Star Wars courses once Galaxy's Edge is open. Will they cut out AK altogether from the Star Wars course to fit Galaxy's Edge in? I can't imagine they're crazy enough to have a Star Wars race that does not go through Galaxy's Edge?

I was watching old Marathon videos as I ran. I really miss the old run through hollywood studios when you went through the backlot tour and down the streets of America. I really hope they add a bunch more back to add more time in GE when it opens.

I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided routing a race course through Galaxy's Edge, at least initially. The predicted crowd levels for GE are already expected to be high enough that they won't want to make the problem worse by cordoning off part of GE for a race, even in the "slow" season. The only option might be to have GE near the beginning of the course, so the racers are cleared out by park opening, but that creates a new problem of course crowding. I still remember the first Star Wars Dark Side Half, which began in the Epcot parking lot and hit the walkway between Epcot and Studios in the first 2-3 miles. That was an epic disaster, having that section so early in the race before racers got more spread out. RD didn't repeat that mistake for the next Dark Side, thankfully. It'll be interesting to see if and when they incorporate GE into the race courses.

I wouldn't be surprised if they avoided routing a race course through Galaxy's Edge, at least initially. The predicted crowd levels for GE are already expected to be high enough that they won't want to make the problem worse by cordoning off part of GE for a race, even in the "slow" season. The only option might be to have GE near the beginning of the course, so the racers are cleared out by park opening, but that creates a new problem of course crowding. I still remember the first Star Wars Dark Side Half, which began in the Epcot parking lot and hit the walkway between Epcot and Studios in the first 2-3 miles. That was an epic disaster, having that section so early in the race before racers got more spread out. RD didn't repeat that mistake for the next Dark Side, thankfully. It'll be interesting to see if and when they incorporate GE into the race courses.
They definitely won’t be incorporating SWGE into the courses anytime soon. They have no idea how crowds are going to flow in and out of those lands yet and adding a race into the mix before they have a grasp on that.

And now all of the 5Ks at WDW are the same course, right?

Not super surprising but yet another unique thing is gone.

Boooooo! The marathon weekend 5k course is so boring and down there in the rankings with the half.

I was watching old Marathon videos as I ran. I really miss the old run through hollywood studios when you went through the backlot tour and down the streets of America. I really hope they add a bunch more back to add more time in GE when it opens.

I really miss the loop around World Showcase to start the marathon. I wish they'd bring that back, but have no expectation they'll ever do so.

I really miss the loop around World Showcase to start the marathon. I wish they'd bring that back, but have no expectation they'll ever do so.
That run with the torches and the drums beating was such a cool start to a race. Much better than 4 miles of road before you get to anything.

My gut is if they have room to add to the course in studios they can just take it away from the out and back.

Boooooo! The marathon weekend 5k course is so boring and down there in the rankings with the half.
PREACH. :sad2:
Have we talked about this before? I feel that we have talked about this before...

...by "before" I of course mean "constantly/many times" ;)

That run with the torches and the drums beating was such a cool start to a race. Much better than 4 miles of road before you get to anything.

My gut is if they have room to add to the course in studios they can just take it away from the out and back.
If they brought back that course, I would 100% sign up for the marathon. I’ve never run 26.2, but ever since I started running 11 years ago, that’s how I envisioned my first.

I am new to the board but not run disney.My first rundisney race was princess 2016. I've ran princess weekend 3 times, and marathon weekend twice. Rundisney is what motivated me to start running. It really makes me sad the in the decline. The half course for princess/marathon is sooo boring. This last princess i really noticed a decline in characters as well. Pretty sure that was my last rundisney event unless they make some serious changes.

Ran a local 8k this weekend - 33 year old race so its very established. I was encouraged by the fact that the largest age groups were 30-34 males and females. Which meant these were all little tykes when it started :)

My age group 50-54 males which is usually huge was small (and stupid fast - went a 8:27 mile and went 10th out 15).

Maybe once or twice or two hundred times ;)

It's like déjà vu all over again, and again and .......:duck: AND YES, it is a way better start!

Most awesome experience for me was our 1st W&D Half Relay in 2011. When I turned the corner and saw that the OSBORNE LIGHTS were on with only a couple of other people there for my pass through and the music had an echo because of the street being so empty, it was spooky eerie but WAY COOL!!! :banana:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!