Downward trend in runDisney?

So reading the data about the NY lottery it doesn't look like the dip in running has impacted them. Applications increase 12% over last year.

So reading the data about the NY lottery it doesn't look like the dip in running has impacted them. Applications increase 12% over last year.

That’s interesting. Seems possible that target races like Boston and New York may have more sustained interest as they aren’t as susceptible to one-and-dones as other races; and they probably get a lot of spillover “well, I’ve run a marathon, but I’ve never done (insert major race here).”

That’s interesting. Seems possible that target races like Boston and New York may have more sustained interest as they aren’t as susceptible to one-and-dones as other races; and they probably get a lot of spillover “well, I’ve run a marathon, but I’ve never done (insert major race here).”
Yeah I don’t think majors are susceptible to runner fatigue or disinterest because they are majors. New York for example has a field of 50000 runner. That’s huge!

New York as well as all the World Marathon Majors I don't think are going to be lacking interest even if there is a running slow down. They have prestige with them I think that Disney and others don't or won't. The 6 star medal only makes them even more high ranking to get into (even if you don't/can't get to all 6 ever).

I think NY May still be a one and done. I think it just has a much larger population of people that want to do it.

Yeah I don’t think majors are susceptible to runner fatigue or disinterest because they are majors. New York for example has a field of 50000 runner. That’s huge!
While they have a field of 50000 they only accept about 10K from the lottery. This year they had 112K people apply for those spots.

In the past they have put some merchandise online however this year they didn’t do that. Some merch was in resort shops though during marathon weekend.

I was surprised to see a small amount of race merch at the Earport store at the airport!

I think NY May still be a one and done. I think it just has a much larger population of people that want to do it.

While they have a field of 50000 they only accept about 10K from the lottery. This year they had 112K people apply for those spots.
This year it was 117000 and they took 8.9% of that for the field.

They also had the additions of the virtual to guarantee entry which took spots.

New York as well as all the World Marathon Majors I don't think are going to be lacking interest even if there is a running slow down. They have prestige with them I think that Disney and others don't or won't. The 6 star medal only makes them even more high ranking to get into (even if you don't/can't get to all 6 ever).

Exactly this. All the majors, except Boston, which has a unique entry process, are lottery races and seem to draw huge numbers of applicants every year, numbers which only seem to be increasing. Even Boston had to tighten their qualification times for 2020 due to increased demand. While overall race participation numbers were down generally for the last year I saw data (2017?), the really big ones seem to be defying the trend, and the whole "Six-Star Medal" has only helped grow the numbers - that's certainly why I'm targeting all the majors going forward. People are drawn to the big "event" races. I'm even seeing it in ultra-racing. The big ultras like Leadville, Western States, and Ultra Trail Mont Blanc are all qualifier/lottery races these days. You've got to time-qualify just to get into the lottery for Western States! :eek: Who knew there were THAT many people looking to run 100 miles?!?

How did the majors get that distinction? I understand that city size plays a part, but am curious as to why those marathons got major designation when other similarly large cities with a marathon do not have that distinction.

How did the majors get that distinction? I understand that city size plays a part, but am curious as to why those marathons got major designation when other similarly large cities with a marathon do not have that distinction.

Because Abbott created a sponsor partnership with the six and designed a cool “six star challenge” medal for finishing all of them. It helped that they were already very popular, large races to begin with, but their popularity has soared with the Abbott tie in.

I'd hazard a guess that exclusivity and popularity feed each other in a cycle. Boston never piqued my interest until I realized that you have to qualify for it--being told "no, you can't" can make one more interested in proving "yes, I can." Not that Boston's in my plans (I just don't think I'm ever going to be a fast runner), but it did make me stop and think about it a few times.

Because Abbott created a sponsor partnership with the six and designed a cool “six star challenge” medal for finishing all of them. It helped that they were already very popular, large races to begin with, but their popularity has soared with the Abbott tie in.
Thanks.

I'd hazard a guess that exclusivity and popularity feed each other in a cycle. Boston never piqued my interest until I realized that you have to qualify for it--being told "no, you can't" can make one more interested in proving "yes, I can." Not that Boston's in my plans (I just don't think I'm ever going to be a fast runner), but it did make me stop and think about it a few times.
I understand that. For years, I had no desire whatsoever to run a marathon. I knew how I felt at the end of my long training runs for a half and literally wondered why in the world I would want to continue the activity that had already exhausted me. But reading a few race reports about the Disney World Marathon and what it felt like to finish began to have me rethink that. While I have always been slow, my confidence grew as I began to do things I once believed impossible. Eventually I came to realize that I at least wanted to attempt the marathon.

All that said, I'm in the same boat as you. Boston isn't in my plans. I don't even know yet if I'll run another marathon located outside Disney World.

And now all of the 5Ks at WDW are the same course, right?

Not super surprising but yet another unique thing is gone.

I'm brokenhearted! I loved running through AK! I've run that Epcot 5k course a few times too many. And since I'm signed up to run Rival Run 5k and Challenge, I may have skipped registering for W&D 5k if I had known it was the same course. Well, at least I didn't run the same course this past January; I was "only" Goofy.

As long as there are new suckers--I mean, runners--willing to fork out the bucks to run at Disney, RD will not care about cookie-cutter courses.

As long as there are new suckers--I mean, runners--willing to fork out the bucks to run at Disney, RD will not care about cookie-cutter courses.

I'd say the potential suckers are us return runners, not the runners who go down for a one and done race to experience Disney. A lot of this may come down to what RunDisney feels their core demographic is. Are they generating the most revenue from loyal returning runners for whom a variety of courses is a selling point or is it the one time visitor that is not going to care where the course runs as long as it's at Disney? Every year around W&D and SWDS/SWRR time, I see posts about the courses complaining that they don't run through the castle. Experienced rD runners may enjoy the variety that has been on offer while newer runners may be disappointed that their once in a lifetime race isn't "Disney" iconic enough. I'd love to know what feedback they're getting and how much it's skewed one way or another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts