Downtown Disney condition- worth the drive?

Your business trip is actually quite close to my neck of the woods. :) A trip to Downtown Disney is still worth it for dinner in my book. However, don't overlook some of the places to grab a bite to eat in Manhattan Beach, or Kincaids in Redondo Beach. Also, you might try the Eatalian Cafe on Broadway in Gardena.
I second Mary Jo’s recommendation of Eatalian Cafe, really good thin crust Italian pizza and there pasta is delicious. There’s also a lot of great locally owned places in the Beach Cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) to check out.

How into shopping are you? DTD is a basically a mall. So if you are don't like shopping then DTD isn't worth it.
But the OP won't only find generic mall merchandise in DTD. If the OP wants DLR souvenirs and gifts, pins, ear hats, new items specific to the reopening of WOD, unique things from the Wonderground Gallery, etc., then DTD is the place.

But the OP won't only find generic mall merchandise in DTD. If the OP wants DLR souvenirs and gifts, pins, ear hats, new items specific to the reopening of WOD, unique things from the Wonderground Gallery, etc., then DTD is the place.
I don't disagree with that. But if you aren't into shopping, then it doesn't matter what merchandise is being sold...I love Disneyland but not DTD so much because I am not much into shopping, even when that shopping involves Disneyland merchandise.

But for getting gifts to bring home from a business trip, DTD can be a one stop shopping trip! We've taken friends there when they've been in town for conferences. Dinner at Jazz Kitchen or NR, gifts for the family from WOD or Wonderground Gallery, and end with beignets and fireworks. It can make for a very pleasant evening.

I second Mary Jo’s recommendation of Eatalian Cafe, really good thin crust Italian pizza and there pasta is delicious. There’s also a lot of great locally owned places in the Beach Cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) to check out.
I am baffled as to why nobody ever mentions Katella Deli for great food. We discovered it several years ago and it is a MUST on our visits. Heck, this time we are actually renting a car not just to drive to Long Beach but also to get in a couple meals at Katella Deli! It's about 9 miles from DL so a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I am baffled as to why nobody ever mentions Katella Deli for great food. We discovered it several years ago and it is a MUST on our visits. Heck, this time we are actually renting a car not just to drive to Long Beach but also to get in a couple meals at Katella Deli! It's about 9 miles from DL so a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
The food is good there but for where this poster is going to be I wouldn’t recommend driving down to Los Alimitos just to eat there.

The food is good there but for where this poster is going to be I wouldn’t recommend driving down to Los Alimitos just to eat there.
I guess that's right, if Gardena is nowhere near Los Alamitos. I just saw folks mentioning places like Manhattan Beach so I thought I'd throw in a great alternative!

Just as an example: DH and I spent a very pleasant evening tonight in DTD, never going into the parks (although we meant to do so originally). Dinner in the lounge at NR, then trying to find all 13 Hidden Mickeys on the Oogie decoration in the GCH lobby, listening to the band by EOS (Aileen Quinn & the Leapin' Lizards -- remember "Annie"? Yes, that Aileen Quinn!), ice cream at Salt & Straw (yum!), shopping at the fully reopened WOD, and ending with fireworks. As I said, we meant to go into the parks, but were having such a nice time in DTD that we didn't get around to it. Oh well, next time!

Hey everyone- just figured I would let you know the outcome. I went to DTD and had a really nice, relaxing time. Put me in the Disney mood with the music and watching everyone walk around with their ears. I got some great photos outside the gates and at the Grand Calif. hotel. I purchased a Loungefly small world backpack for my daughter, and an Alex and Ani braceet for her as well. I also went to Goofys kitchen for dinner. Originally- they said they were not accepting walk-ins (evenffor one person), as they were “totally booked”. I left disappointed. I went outside, sat in the sun and opened the app. I was able to book a dining reservation for ten minutes later. So, I walked back in and was seated immediately. Same Cast member was not at the counter. So nothing more to report there. Really glad I went and fed my obsession. Thx for the info. Everyone! Ps- World of Disneystore was crowded but manageable.

I LOVED the Katella Bakery it was nearby one of my 3x a year work trips. But even if I was in Los Alamitos I always drove to DTD for lunch or dinner at least once on those trips.

What's the parking/security situation with the construction (deconstruction) at Downtown Disney these days? I am meeting a girlfriend for breakfast there next week. Wish I had time for the parks, but Downtown Disney and a quick hop through World of Disney will have to hold me off until WDW in January ;-)

What's the parking/security situation with the construction (deconstruction) at Downtown Disney these days? I am meeting a girlfriend for breakfast there next week. Wish I had time for the parks, but Downtown Disney and a quick hop through World of Disney will have to hold me off until WDW in January ;-)
No changes as of now other than the downtown Disney parking lot having less spots then normal due to construction staging for the add on to the Mickey and friends parking structure.

Hey everyone- just figured I would let you know the outcome. I went to DTD and had a really nice, relaxing time. Put me in the Disney mood with the music and watching everyone walk around with their ears. I got some great photos outside the gates and at the Grand Calif. hotel. I purchased a Loungefly small world backpack for my daughter, and an Alex and Ani braceet for her as well. I also went to Goofys kitchen for dinner. Originally- they said they were not accepting walk-ins (evenffor one person), as they were “totally booked”. I left disappointed. I went outside, sat in the sun and opened the app. I was able to book a dining reservation for ten minutes later. So, I walked back in and was seated immediately. Same Cast member was not at the counter. So nothing more to report there. Really glad I went and fed my obsession. Thx for the info. Everyone! Ps- World of Disneystore was crowded but manageable.

Glad you had such a nice time. :) Well worth the drive then.

I was just there last Saturday and parked in Downtown Disney. We had lunch at the Uva Bar, played in The VOID, walked around a bit, and had ice cream at Salt & Straw. We validated at Salt & Straw, and parking ended up being $12, so we were over our allotment by an hour. I would have parked at Mickey & Friends, but it was full and I didn't want to go to Toy Story. :p Downtown Disney parking worked out fine for us.

THANKS so much!

No changes as of now other than the downtown Disney parking lot having less spots then normal due to construction staging for the add on to the Mickey and friends parking structure.

Glad you had such a nice time. :) Well worth the drive then.

I was just there last Saturday and parked in Downtown Disney. We had lunch at the Uva Bar, played in The VOID, walked around a bit, and had ice cream at Salt & Straw. We validated at Salt & Straw, and parking ended up being $12, so we were over our allotment by an hour. I would have parked at Mickey & Friends, but it was full and I didn't want to go to Toy Story. :p Downtown Disney parking worked out fine for us.

Would you have time to indulge in the Star Wars VR experience? If that looks like something you would want to do, then it might make it more worthwhile. Me, don't think I could be that close and not go into a park!

I found being so close to the parks, but unable to go in so sad! It wasn't worth it to me.
That reminds me of our DL Paris trip. The Air Force sent me to Germany for a few months, and when my wife and son visited, we decided to surprise him with a trip to Disneyland when we went to Paris. The night we got to the hotel, it was very close, but not Disney property, my son was looking at a map in the lobby, and he realized how close we were. He said that since we were so close, we should just stop by, and look. We told him that would be awful sad to be that close and not go. He was quite surprised and happy the next morning, when we approached the parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter