Downtown Disney condition- worth the drive?

palmtreelover08

DIS Veteran
Hi-I am going to be in Gardena CA for a work trip. I will not be able to go to Disneyland this time, but was thinking of visiting DownTown to help feed my obsession (have been there before). I know several stores are gone, but when I was there in June, even the big Disney store was under construction. Is there still a lot of construction there? I’m trying to decide if it is worth the drive. Thanks in advance!

The World of Disney is supposed to re-open fully this Friday I believe. There is also a Disney home store to explore, and Wunderground and the pin shop are still there as well. So if you are looking for Disney shopping, that should all be available. There are a lot of restaurants closed or under construction, but there are still a number of places open for business including the new Salt and Straw ice cream shop and the recently returned Earl of Sandwich. La Brea Bakery, Catal, Jazz Kitchen, Tortilla Joe's, and Naples are all still open for business although I believe the quick service Napolini attached to Naples is still closed for remodel. I have no idea what the state of parking is right now. When we last used it in June, you could get several hours of parking with validation for a minimum $20 purchase at a single location. I guess you need to decide for yourself what your goal would be in going and if it is worth it to you.

How long its been since you have visited the parks ? And how long it will be until the next time you visit? I'd do it, but I'm crazy for all things Disneyland.

Here is the parking information for the DTD lot: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/downtown-disney-district/parking-cost/. Currently, it is 3 hours/$20 validation from a shop, kiosk, or CS restaurant or 5 hours/TS restaurant validation. You can also eat at one of the TS restaurants at one of the on site hotels and get several hours parking (up to 5 hours valet at NR, for example) with your validation. Garden Grove is so close to the parks -- I would enjoy a nice TS meal at NR or S55 or someplace fun in DTD (Jazz Kitchen? Catal?), get the validation, look around, maybe shop for a few souvenirs (Halloween Time things?), maybe get a drink at Trader Sam's, then head back to the hotel. If you visit on a night with fireworks, you can view them from the esplanade or from several spots in DTD. And there might be a live band playing on the Main Stage by EOS (usually from 6-10 pm).

Last edited:

I would totally do it, and you can go poke around the hotels! People in Florida make entire days around NOT going into the parks. Disney Springs and go look at resorts, that is Disney too. Not all Disney days have to be park days.

Your business trip is actually quite close to my neck of the woods. :) A trip to Downtown Disney is still worth it for dinner in my book. However, don't overlook some of the places to grab a bite to eat in Manhattan Beach, or Kincaids in Redondo Beach. Also, you might try the Eatalian Cafe on Broadway in Gardena.

Don't worry if there is a line to enter WOD. Lately, CMs have asked guests to queue to the side of the door to control the number of guests entering at one time. The line may look long, but it moves fairly quickly. We were told it would be a 10-20 minute wait, but it was more like 3 minutes at most.

How long its been since you have visited the parks ? And how long it will be until the next time you visit? I'd do it, but I'm crazy for all things Disneyland.
I’ll probably be back next year (I was there in June 2018). I would hate to go without my daughter. It literally may kill her if I go during Halloween without her

Your business trip is actually quite close to my neck of the woods. :) A trip to Downtown Disney is still worth it for dinner in my book. However, don't overlook some of the places to grab a bite to eat in Manhattan Beach, or Kincaids in Redondo Beach. Also, you might try the Eatalian Cafe on Broadway in Gardena.
Thank you for the info. I’m always looking for some good seafood. I have been to manhattan beach- and ate at a pizza place- called Fred’s (I think). It was right on Boardwalk. It was meh. I also ate at a great place at Hunting beach. Had a surfboard OT front- maybe Longboards?? That was delish!

Here is the parking information for the DTD lot: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/downtown-disney-district/parking-cost/. Currently, it is 3 hours/$20 validation from a shop, kiosk, or CS restaurant or 5 hours/TS restaurant validation. You can also eat at one of the TS restaurants at one of the on site hotels and get several hours parking (up to 5 hours valet at NR, for example) with your validation. Garden Grove is so close to the parks -- I would enjoy a nice TS meal at NR or S55 or someplace fun in DTD (Jazz Kitchen? Catal?), get the validation, look around, maybe shop for a few souvenirs (Halloween Time things?), maybe get a drink at Trader Sam's, then head back to the hotel. If you visit on a night with fireworks, you can view them from the esplanade or from several spots in DTD. And there might be a live band playing on the Main Stage by EOS (usually from 6-10 pm).
Great information and suggestions! What is Garden Grove?

Great information and suggestions! What is Garden Grove?
Sorry for the mix up -- I read Garden Grove for Gardena. But, regardless, I would still visit DTD just for a nice meal, some souvenir shopping, and some fun browsing/research for your next visit.
Also to clarify: if you dine at one of the on site hotels, your validation will cover the parking at the hotel where you dine, not the DTD lot. (The validation used to cover both lots, but not any more.) For example, if you will be dining at NR and get the validation for 5 hours free valet parking, that validation no longer covers either the GCH or DTD -- it now only covers the GCH.

How into shopping are you? DTD is a basically a mall. So if you are don't like shopping then DTD isn't worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter