Double-stroller for bigger kids

Scott McDuck

Earning My Ears
We're going to Disney in a few months with our almost-7-year old (<65 pounds) and an almost-3-year-old (~35 pounds). We definitely plan on using a stroller for our 3-year-old. However, I was contemplating buying a new stroller that would accommodate our 7-year-old--ideally, I was thinking something where she could sit/stand on the back for a little while now and then when she gets tired. The problem I'm having is weight limits: Most of the strollers I've looked at (e.g., joovy caboose, graco room-for-2, etc.) have weight limits of either 50 lbs/child or 100/both. Perhaps this will make my decision for me and our oldest will just have to suck it up...

We're going for 7 days, so I don't think a rental would make sense (any in any event, we'd be exceeding most of their weight limits). I also would prefer not to spend a ton on something I'm never going to use again, but I realize that a stroller that supports 100+ lbs will need to have some quality.

Just thought I'd check to see if anyone has any recommendations of a stroller that might work in this situation, particularly people who have exceeded the manufacturers' weight limits. Apologies if there is a prior thread on this that I missed. Thanks.

We used our Joovy Caboose Ultralight when our kids were just over 100 lbs. combined, I'm guessing around 108, plus all of our stuff. I didn't notice any extra strain on the stroller, but it was heavy to push uphill if both kids were in it. Both kids end up sharing the same back rest, so they can push against each other (not fun).

I would suggest you check to see if anyone is selling a used double stroller in your area before purchasing. I'm going to be listing ours soon after I clean some melted Mickey bar off the front seat since we are not planning to go back for 2 yrs.

Honestly any stroller that would be stabile enough ( well made) to support the children's weight will be pricey for a one time use. My DS even used a stroller at some points when he was 8( no stroller shaming please!) He even got sick on one of his trips at age 9, and hopped into DD1 stroller. It is a single city stroller, I think the weight limit is 70 ish pounds. He weighed maybe 68 ish at the time. Personally I would bring your current stroller for your 3 year old, and let the 7 year old rest I'm it every now and again when the 3 year old wants to walk. There are tons of people that would say, a 7 year old can walk....... I'm more of a promoter of let's have a great and least whiney vacation as possible 🤣. I don't know that I'd spend 300-400 for the stroller though....as in everyday life you won't use it. You could rent at Disney in the parks, but those strollers are so hard and uncomfortable...plus the cost, plus then you are pushing two strollers anyway! My vote is to bring yours and kids take turn, or if you rent from somewhere like kingdom strollers, either rent a double, and just tell the 7 year you can't push both of them all the time....so it's only for when she is really tired( if it exceeds weight limit.) Or rent a single and take turns. Have a great and magical trip!!!

We had used a sit and stand for our two grandkids 2 & 6. The kids didn't weigh as much as your kids, but we did have a cooler with about dozen water bottles on the stroller too. I thought the front seat was kind of small so only for the 2 year old. For part of the trip, they both sat on the back bench but that was because he wanted to be like big brother. The cooler sat in the front. LOL

Honestly any stroller that would be stabile enough ( well made) to support the children's weight will be pricey for a one time use. My DS even used a stroller at some points when he was 8( no stroller shaming please!) He even got sick on one of his trips at age 9, and hopped into DD1 stroller. It is a single city stroller, I think the weight limit is 70 ish pounds. He weighed maybe 68 ish at the time. Personally I would bring your current stroller for your 3 year old, and let the 7 year old rest I'm it every now and again when the 3 year old wants to walk. There are tons of people that would say, a 7 year old can walk....... I'm more of a promoter of let's have a great and least whiney vacation as possible 🤣. I don't know that I'd spend 300-400 for the stroller though....as in everyday life you won't use it. You could rent at Disney in the parks, but those strollers are so hard and uncomfortable...plus the cost, plus then you are pushing two strollers anyway! My vote is to bring yours and kids take turn, or if you rent from somewhere like kingdom strollers, either rent a double, and just tell the 7 year you can't push both of them all the time....so it's only for when she is really tired( if it exceeds weight limit.) Or rent a single and take turns. Have a great and magical trip!!!

Just bouncing off your thoughts. Yes, use a double and perhaps the 7 years uses it for rest stop, not for transportation. Stopping to watch a show, waiting for the bus, eating a snack.....there's chair for you. Gives the 7 year old a chance to rest, but doesn't wear you out pushing.

Pretty much any double will do. We had one that was something like $75 from Wal-Mart and we loaded it with 200lbs of stuff (kids, food) and it was fine.

I have a 7 and 5 year old who haven't used a stroller here at home in a good three years. The only exception was our last trip to Disney two years ago. This year my 7 year old specifically requested a stroller for our upcoming trip because she remembers how much walking we did and how much she appreciated the stroller from the last visit. I'm a pretty fast walker and I agree with her request. It just makes everything easier for us. We rented a double stroller from Cloud of Goods and it was very reasonable. I didn't want to deal with taking a stroller on an airplane since we really only wanted for the parks.

We bought a sit-and-stand from Craigslist just before a trip to WDW in 2017 for our then 18mo and 4yo. It was like $25 and we planned to throw it out after the trip. It's now been with us on 3 trips to Legoland, several county fairs, and will be making it's trip back to WDW in January for our kids who are now 4 and 7. It's not the easiest to push when they're both on there, but it makes a huge difference in how long we're able to be in the parks...though with 7 and 4 year olds the fight begins about who sits and who stands!

Oh, and as someone else above mentioned - neither of my kids use a stroller in everyday life, and haven't for a couple years. It's strictly a theme park/fair thing!

Will your 7 year old ride in a stroller? Just throwing it out there before you spend a lot of money on something that your child may not use. My son is 7 and there's no way he'd ride in a stroller even if I wanted him to but both of my kids have been walking around WDW and DLR since they were 4 - I'm convinced that good shoes are key to a great trip.

I'd look for resale if you are only going to use the stroller for this one trip.

You could play it by ear and just bring the single for the preschooler and rent at the parks if the 7 year old needs it. That way you don't have to lug a double stroller around the entire trip.

We're going to Disney in a few months with our almost-7-year old (<65 pounds) and an almost-3-year-old (~35 pounds). We definitely plan on using a stroller for our 3-year-old. However, I was contemplating buying a new stroller that would accommodate our 7-year-old--ideally, I was thinking something where she could sit/stand on the back for a little while now and then when she gets tired. The problem I'm having is weight limits: Most of the strollers I've looked at (e.g., joovy caboose, graco room-for-2, etc.) have weight limits of either 50 lbs/child or 100/both. Perhaps this will make my decision for me and our oldest will just have to suck it up...

We're going for 7 days, so I don't think a rental would make sense (any in any event, we'd be exceeding most of their weight limits). I also would prefer not to spend a ton on something I'm never going to use again, but I realize that a stroller that supports 100+ lbs will need to have some quality.

Just thought I'd check to see if anyone has any recommendations of a stroller that might work in this situation, particularly people who have exceeded the manufacturers' weight limits. Apologies if there is a prior thread on this that I missed. Thanks.
We rented from Orlando rentals. The kids were 7, 6, and 3 at the time. If the 7 year old rode with one of the others, it exceeded the weight limit. It was heavy, especially up hill and if rushing to get to a show on time. With the way the pricing works at Orlando rentals and Kingdom strollers, it doesn’t cost more to rent for 7 days vs. 5 days. I believe you have to be at the resort now when they drop it off and pick it up, though. Bell Services isn’t accepting delivery of the strollers anymore.

We still use our City Select Double with our 5 and 3 year old. It’s a godsend in heavy crowds and at the end of the day. Or when the youngest needs to nap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!