Double, Double, Toil & Trouble: a Halloween-inspired trip of “two’s” – an October 2016 TR

You guys have had a very eventful 1/2 year! Three trips in 6-7 months, 2 new fur babies, plus moving to a new COUNTRY!? I gotta give it to you, I'd have a head of grey hair by now. I hope you guys have a wonderful spring vaca!!

LOL.....I had the grey hair before this crazy, unpredictable 7 month stretch :rotfl:. Nothing a good hairstylist can't fix ;). But you're right, it has been quite the ride: and its weird to think that life was still normal as of Labour Day. Once everything started to change, it changed FAST.

I think I'm ready to become a predictable old poop for a while now, though ::yes::. I'm pretty sure we're almost at our limit for excitement :p.

I'm jealous of all of your adventures. Right now if I get home before 7:00 PM, that's an adventure in our house!

I hope Dash's surgery went well today.

Our little fella did really well today. He was pretty out of it earlier.....it took him a long time to come fully out of the anesthetic.....but he's quite a bit perkier this evening than he has been in a while. We were so, SO happy that they were able to save the balance of the tooth; not to mention being so, SO grateful that our vet was able to call in the favour with the dental vet so that he could be seen so soon. We have been very blessed throughout the whole process, and have sent up more than one prayer of thanks since everything went to hell in a hand cart on Friday.

He just wanted hugs when we first got home. There's been a lot of extra lovin' tonight.

18033370_10155653473246416_5895779411311976590_n.jpg

View attachment 232079 View attachment 232078 Ah we were at Greenfield Village on Saturday. I was wondering if I might run into you. We tried to make it like a Disney vacation and wear matching shirts. Boy that confused people. They kept asking about them and if we were part of a group.

Love, love, LOVE your shirts! :thumbsup2 Did you make them yourselves?

We ended up going both Saturday and Sunday. There was just too much to see in one day!! On Saturday, we rode the carousel:

17951968_10155644559966416_4203569590486143101_n.jpg

17951910_10155644560566416_9051038557777459045_n.jpg

17861873_10155644561111416_1746599068581402498_n.jpg

.....and took a horse drawn carriage ride:

17903747_10155644613211416_3022096810609829340_n.jpg

We also took the train twice (earlier in the day, thank goodness.....by mid-afternoon, it was full!):

17884301_10155644561121416_7890659450201364984_n.jpg

We got through about 2/3 of the village buildings before our legs completely wore out. We also took a pass on the Model T rides since there would have been at least a half hour or more wait for a car.

So, we returned Sunday....and it was dead. Like, almost empty......even in the afternoon. We got to ride in the Model T's not once, but twice: and they were walk-ons. Cars just sitting and waiting for people.

18010777_10155653320551416_8834606024322159242_n.jpg

18010588_10155653320556416_8691519404821262651_n.jpg

We were strolling by the carousel (yep, we rode that again too :blush:) and happened upon the Easter Bunny. Without another soul around, we had plenty of opportunity for pictures, which was fun.

17952014_10155653323556416_2077098041422988772_n.jpg

To give you an idea of the difference between the crowds on Saturday and Sunday, this was Sunday at exactly 12 noon:

17992292_10155653365161416_932604017068729461_n.jpg

18033038_10155653365711416_6605171891596802858_n.jpg

We toured through the remainder of the village that we didn't get through on the Saturday, and then ended off with another train ride around the entire park. We had the very back row of the last car, just in front of the conductor.

17951646_10155653378021416_2394895445894370789_n.jpg

Your recommendation to purchase a membership was the BEST advice you could have given us. I can't wait to bring our families here when they visit us for the first time!!

So Glad little Dash is doing well after the surgery! Can't imagine how scary this whole thing was for you guys.

This morning, he was pretty much back to his normal self......chasing his sister and bouncing around like my little Tigger. We are so happy to have our crazy, silly, active Dashie back!

Friday, October 28th

All good things must come to an end :sad1:. Today was the day we concluded our amazing two weeks in sunny Orlando.

DSCF1349_zpsgngxgokh.jpg

It has become a bit of a last morning tradition to visit IHOP for breakfast once we have checked out of the resort by the 10 am deadline. So, once the luggage was packed and loaded with our clothing, personal items, and souvenirs, we turned in our villa keys at the security gate and turned the rental car in the direction of the Crossroads.

DSCF1354_zpskppb7fry.jpg

DSCF1352_zpsbjq4ybyd.jpg

We did not need to be at the airport until around 3 pm, so we had lots of time to enjoy a leisurely, if not rather reflective, morning meal. It was going to be a long travel day……now that we had the kittens to pick up (something we hadn't really planned on when the trip was originally booked), we had decided to cancel our extra overnight stay in Niagara Falls and just drive straight home from Buffalo after landing…..so a good strong cup of coffee was in order to start :coffee:.

DSCF1344_zpsx7yu8ura.jpg

Knowing that there would be no big, fancy meals today we felt no guilt in ordering something really yummy for breakfast. As the old saying goes, “Go Big Or Go Home”. We were going big AND going home :rolleyes:.

Steve, as I suspected he would, ordered his IHOP favourite: steak and eggs. This is what he gets EVERY single time. His steak is always cooked perfectly, his eggs are always cooked perfectly, and his pancakes are always light and fluffy.....which means Steve always leave a very happy guy. A good meal for my big guy certainly helps heal the sting that we both feel at the end of a vacation.

DSCF1345_zpsnfuekn40.jpg

I threw all dietary caution to the wind and ordered the item on the menu that had always caught my eye (but I had generally felt too guilty to order……it doesn’t exactly smack of good health and nutrition :rolleyes1). Today, I was looking to soothe those raw emotions that always make me want to have a good cry on check-out morning, so I figured what the heck. YOLO and all that :teeth:.

DSCF1348_zpsntxtbv7a.jpg

Bananas Foster Brioche French Toast. OMG. :worship: :worship::worship:

This meal puts the “Good” in Good Morning ::yes::. I have no idea what they make that sauce from, but I’m sure that some of the ingredients come straight from heaven itself. It was so good, I could have licked the plate if I allowed myself to completely forget every table manner I’d ever been taught :blush:. It was, in a word, incredible.

We dilly-dallied a little bit over breakfast, savouring not only our food but also each other’s company. It was rather depressing to be facing both the end of our getaway and the knowledge that we’d be once again physically separated, for the most part, from the time we went home until our Christmas trip seven weeks later. With winter weather creeping in to the north, we knew Steve’s brief weekend visits home would be few and far between. We talked about all the unknowns that were facing us in the coming months, too: would Steve’s application for a work visa be approved by Customs and Immigration? If Steve’s visa gets approved, would our house sell reasonably quickly? Would we be able to find a home we liked in Michigan that would be within our budget? Would I enjoy life in Michigan, or would I hate being away from the community in which I’d lived my entire life? How would we both adjust to being away from Jake on a permanent basis? Heavy talk. Serious talk. But all feelings and issues that needed to be discussed and acknowledged now that our Orlando “honeymoon” was over and reality was poised to smack us in the face within a few short hours.

Eventually, we felt guilty for holding up a table (and drinking WAY too much coffee....bottomless or not), so we covered the check and tip and headed back out to the car. With a few more hours yet to pass before it was time to head to MCO, we made a pit stop at the Premium Outlets for a few final purchases to fill the remaining spaces in the luggage. Jake’s girlfriend had texted us with a list of a few things she was hoping we might be able to find for her at good prices, and we too had a small list of wish-list clothing items we hadn’t purchased since arriving. It was quiet at the outlets that early in the day, so we managed to track down all items with relative ease.

DSCF1356_zpsj2jxylqr.jpg

With all bags packed into the luggage and receipts readied for customs, we pondered our options for the time which remained for us. We both agreed that we needed something specific to do (idle time on departure day just makes us a toxic mix of sad and grumpy….we would require something to occupy both our bodies and our minds) but we didn’t want to incur any major expense or drive any huge distance. Oh yeah, and we wanted it to be fun. Something that would make us smile. How’s that for a tall order? :p

SeaWorld it would be :idea:. Long live Annual Passes.

We hadn’t been able to fit in a visit with the penguins at Antarctica on any of our previous visits of this trip, so that’s where we headed first. Steve joked that it would also help climatize us for our return to the frosty north. Jake had been giving us the daily weather report from home and snow flurries had been reported on more than one day over the past two weeks.

ytu%204_zpsempkrzed.jpg

We spent a lot of time with the penguins before moving on to other parts of the park. I hadn’t brought the camera in with us……I only had my crappy little iPhone (which is why the penguin pics are less than stellar quality)….because I wanted this final time to be enjoyed without being behind a lens. We toured around, we visited the various animal exhibits, we admired the sea life in the aquariums, and we pressed pennies at the various kiosks (I had purchased myself a pressed penny book at Aquatica a few days prior and was determined to fill a page or two before we flew out). Those last few hours of the trip were perfectly peaceful, spent in one of our favourite parks with no crowds and under spectacularly sunny skies.

ytu%205_zps0w9cw4po.jpg

Keeping an eye on the time, we grabbed lunch at Captain Pete’s Island Eats, figuring it was easier to eat before leaving for the airport rather than having to stop en route. This was a new SeaWorld dining experience for us, and it was a success. The food was basic…..hot dogs, fries, chili……but fresh and tasty. We had no complaints on the food quality and the prices were very fair.

ytu%2010_zpsn1lzf3ya.jpg

Heading to the parking lot, we hopped into the car and made a straight shot to the airport: we always pre-pay for the full tank of gas so there’s no need to stop and fill up along the way. We’re pretty good at making sure we return the car on almost an empty tank, and the wee bit of gas that we “lose” is well worth the convenience of not having to find a gas station and save the receipt. Dropping off the car went smoothly, checking our bags at the Jetblue counter went smoothly, and lines at security were manageable as well. Arriving at the gate, we were elated to see that our flight was showing as on time, though that elation was short lived: within half an hour of settling into two seats to await our time to board, we were notified of a delay that grew in small increments to a final total of almost two hours by the time the plane actually arrived. Apparently there was some sort of mechanical issue to be remedied from where the aircraft was departing from White Plains, New York, so all we could do was wait things out. We kicked ourselves for cancelling the Niagara Falls hotel :headache:, but what was done was done.

Once arriving back in Buffalo, the late hour meant the airport was virtually deserted save for the folks from our specific flight. We picked up our luggage, called for the shuttle back to the Days Hotel, collected our vehicle, and began the long drive home. We breezed through the border crossing and even sailed right through Toronto: looking on the bright side, our delayed flight at least guaranteed us no traffic or other back-ups on the commute.

But man, were we tired :faint:. I felt bad for Steve, who had to do all the driving.

We pulled into our driveway in the wee hours of the morning. Turning the key in the door, we dragged the suitcases into the kitchen, to where this was waiting on the table:

DSCF1358_zpsxef7lkjx.jpg

Our wonderful neighbours who had watched the house for us during our absence had left us the sweetest little welcome home. An assortment of chocolate, cookies, and hot chocolate packets were cheerfully arranged in the middle of our table, with a hand-written note.

DSCF1359_zpsm20aeinx.jpg

Neighbours like these would be hard to say goodbye to in a few months :sad:. We have some of the best friends in the world.

And that, my friends, is a wrap.

keep-calm-because-its-over-3.png

There's still one more post to go, though! Next up, we tally up the cost of two weeks of Halloween fun. The final total is next :scared:.

ADDING IT ALL UP (sometimes I hate this part!! :crazy2:)

All costs are listed in purple. The actual Canadian equivalent is noted, wherever, possible, in italics.

We were also blessed with many gifts from some wonderful people which included our MNSSHP tickets and several restaurant gift cards. This greatly reduced our out-of-pocket expenses.

Here we go.....................

Ø Buffalo park & fly hotel: $101.24 $130.98 CDN

Ø Trip insurance (medical & general): $136.00 (Canadian funds, annual plan)

Ø Roundtrip, direct flights (Jetblue) (includes round trip upgrades to Even More Space seating) : $790.40 $1,104.27 CDN

Ø Car rental: $350.00 $482.00 CDN

Ø Fuel for rental car: $30.00

Ø Parking at Disney (2 Halloween Parties): $40.00

Ø Sheraton Vistana Resort villa (maint. fee): $935.20 $1,269.10 CDN

Ø Wyndham Cypress Palms villa (Skyauction): $323.00 $432.82 CDN

Ø Food, tips and misc. supplies: $500.00

Ø Aquatica Cabanas: $93.94 $121.38 CDN

Ø SeaWorld & Aquatica Annual Passes (free – paid @ December 2015 trip): $0.00

Ø Discovery Cove (two days, two people): $421.76 $561.54 CDN

Ø Balance of Hallowishes Dessert Party: $57.73 $75.44 CDN

Ø Balance of Pirates Dinner & VIP Upgrades: $66.50 $87.16 CDN

Ø Orlando Eye Multi Attraction Ticket: $41.54 $54.61 CDN

Ø Museum of Military History Groupon: $1.00 $1.31 CDN

Ø Fort Wilderness Carriage Ride: $45.00 $58.64 CDN

Ø SeaWorld QQ/Animal Feed/Dolphin Encounter: $66.55 $87.33 CDN

Ø Travelzoo $40 Hash House A Go Go Voucher: $10.00 $12.97 CDN

Ø Livingsocial Uber Offer: $6.00 $7.84 CDN

GRAND TOTAL: $4015.86

$125.50 per person, per day: 15 nights, 16 days total

We talked about all the unknowns that were facing us in the coming months, too: would Steve’s application for a work visa be approved by Customs and Immigration? If Steve’s visa gets approved, would our house sell reasonably quickly? Would we be able to find a home we liked in Michigan that would be within our budget? Would I enjoy life in Michigan, or would I hate being away from the community in which I’d lived my entire life? How would we both adjust to being away from Jake on a permanent basis? Heavy talk. Serious talk. But all feelings and issues that needed to be discussed and acknowledged now that our Orlando “honeymoon” was over and reality was poised to smack us in the face within a few short hours.

And thankfully all those things worked out fabulously.

$125.50 per person, per day: 15 nights, 16 days total

That is a good financial bargain. Especially considering all the fabulous things you got to do (and eat).

I threw all dietary caution to the wind and ordered the item on the menu that had always caught my eye (but I had generally felt too guilty to order……it doesn’t exactly smack of good health and nutrition :rolleyes1). Today, I was looking to soothe those raw emotions that always make me want to have a good cry on check-out morning, so I figured what the heck. YOLO and all that :teeth:.

DSCF1348_zpsntxtbv7a.jpg

Bananas Foster Brioche French Toast. OMG. :worship: :worship::worship:

This meal puts the “Good” in Good Morning ::yes::. I have no idea what they make that sauce from, but I’m sure that some of the ingredients come straight from heaven itself. It was so good, I could have licked the plate if I allowed myself to completely forget every table manner I’d ever been taught :blush:. It was, in a word, incredible.
That sounds so good! I love bananas foster sauce too.

We pulled into our driveway in the wee hours of the morning. Turning the key in the door, we dragged the suitcases into the kitchen, to where this was waiting on the table:

DSCF1358_zpsxef7lkjx.jpg

Our wonderful neighbours who had watched the house for us during our absence had left us the sweetest little welcome home. An assortment of chocolate, cookies, and hot chocolate packets were cheerfully arranged in the middle of our table, with a hand-written note.

DSCF1359_zpsm20aeinx.jpg

Neighbours like these would be hard to say goodbye to in a few months :sad:. We have some of the best friends in the world.

Aw so sweet!

That's a great deal for a two week vacation!

Glad Dash is mending well! My kitty-kids mean the world to me , too! (especially since my sons are adults now- nice to have little ones around!)

Like your matching purple shirts! And Steve is too cute on the carousel!

Will you be doing a TR for your Christmas trip? Even though I hate to think Christmas in spring, I'd be happy to make an exception!:-)

I'm so sad your trip report is over. As always, I enjoyed every minute of reading it. I'm looking forward to your December report!

And thankfully all those things worked out fabulously.

That is a good financial bargain. Especially considering all the fabulous things you got to do (and eat).

Yes ma'am.....all the puzzle pieces that I fretted over fell neatly into place, exactly when the time was right. The whole process has definitely taught me some very big lessons on trust and faith. I am (slowly) learning to worry less and let everything work itself out in its own time. It's a tall order for a highly-organized, control-freak person like me, but I'm making progress.

Our super affordable accommodations (particularly the crazy cheap deal at Wyndham Cypress Palms) definitely helped keep the per person/per day cost in check. It's just a little shocking to see that final number in print.....in the midst of the planning, as things are being added here and there and the trip is built piece by piece over a stretch of six months or more, it sure doesn't feel like that much money is being spent!!

That sounds so good! I love bananas foster sauce too.

Aw so sweet!

We were so touched by our neighbours' kindness. She is a single mom of two kids (12 and 9), and they are just the sweetest family. Her children have the most wonderful role model in their mother.

That's a great deal for a two week vacation!

Glad Dash is mending well! My kitty-kids mean the world to me , too! (especially since my sons are adults now- nice to have little ones around!)

Like your matching purple shirts! And Steve is too cute on the carousel!

Will you be doing a TR for your Christmas trip? Even though I hate to think Christmas in spring, I'd be happy to make an exception!:-)

Steve was so pleased.....NOT! :lmao:..... that I posted his carousel picture. But I couldn't resist ;). He's such a good sport.

Isn't it funny how those furry little four-legged bodies can become just as much our "kids" as our human children are? Violet and Dash are my babies, pure and simple. I just won't have to pay for college for these two :rotfl:. Of course, if injuries like Dash's become too regular, they might end up costing me just as much :eek:. Let's just say its been an expensive week.

I have been trying to decide if you all would rather I start my Christmas trip report now (and just take a break while we're away from April 29th to May 6th) and then do my spring report after, or if you'd prefer I take a hiatus from reporting until after our spring trip, then do the spring report first followed by the Christmas one after. I need ya'll to weigh in because I'm feeling very indecisive :laughing:.

Wow. That's impressive. That's what we usually spend on our one week trips. I swear I'll learn to be more frugal someday!:rotfl2:

Flights make up a big part of our costs, so getting two weeks of fun out of one round-trip flight cost helps to make the numbers look much more favourable. Staying offsite helps a huge amount, too, and we were fortunate to do well on our vehicle rental (sometimes being crazy enough to check one, two and even three times a day pays off.......I have finally found a positive outlet for my OCD! :teeth:). Our Christmas trip total looked much less impressive.

I'm so sad your trip report is over. As always, I enjoyed every minute of reading it. I'm looking forward to your December report!

Thank you so much!! I can't thank you all enough for hanging in to the bitter end. My readers are the BEST!

Thank you! :goodvibes

First post ever..... long time reader..... But I just have to say that I do enjoy reading your trip reports. Your pictures are great. I can almost imagine being there as I read! :)

I have been trying to decide if you all would rather I start my Christmas trip report now (and just take a break while we're away from April 29th to May 6th) and then do my spring report after, or if you'd prefer I take a hiatus from reporting until after our spring trip, then do the spring report first followed by the Christmas one after. I need ya'll to weigh in because I'm feeling very indecisive :laughing:.

I think whatever works for you works for us! But I vote for starting Christmas now (selfish I know) if you have time. We were really good at keeping ourselves entertained on your TR while you were gone last year::yes::

Long time reader here...I found your trip reports when we were planning our big Universal trip last year. I would love it if you started the Christmas trip report sooner rather than later...am so curious to see more about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party (we are attending our first party on an Orlando trip this November).

Am glad Dash is feeling better!

Must...have...more...trip reports!!:jumping1:

Sad to see this one end, but can't wait to hear about the next adventure!!

What a fun tradition to end your trips! My youngest son loves Waffle House so we don't get to IHOP much!

P.S. I say take a break from trip reports and start on December when you get back :)

Firstly, don't be indecisive and carry on with the Christmas trip report :cheer2:

Secondly, I have to say (once again) it is always a pleasure to read your trip reports and share your wonderful memories and of course food delights!!

Thank you Gina and Steve xx

Gina,

Thank you for being so generous with your time to show us all that can be done for fun in the Orlando area! I may enjoy the food picts the best. :) It helps me to decide where we must go next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter