Dopey Shirts Long or Short Sleeve?

mbrittb00

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if the 2020 Marathon Weekend/Dopey shirts will be long sleeve or short sleeve? Are they traditionally one or the other? My wife and I had done the Wine and Dine challenge in 2018, and I was extremely disappointed that the race shirts were long sleeve. I honestly can't stand long sleeve t-shirts.

:((. This makes me sad. I can’t stand long sleeved t-shirts.

Does anyone know the rational? There are a lot of people that can’t stand long sleeved t-shirts. While I know some people DO like long sleeved t-shirts, I’ve yet to run across anyone that really dis-likes short sleeved t-shirts. Seems strange to alienate a section of your patrons.

Does anyone know the rational? There are a lot of people that can’t stand long sleeved t-shirts. While I know some people DO like long sleeved t-shirts, I’ve yet to run across anyone that really dis-likes short sleeved t-shirts. Seems strange to alienate a section of your patrons.
I like them but I come from a northern climate. I’ve done Marathon weekend 5 times and wine and dine once so all of mine are long sleeve. I wear them to train or just around. For dopey they have all the park icons on the sleeve which is nice.

In terms of rationale, I think the “winter season” races get the long sleeve and spring/summer season races get the short sleeve. Marathon weekend can get pretty cold so long sleeves work well for that weekend.

The rationale is pretty simple. It’s a race run during winter, so they give out long sleeve shirts with it. I think it’s a bit over-dramatic to claim that they are “alienating” runners by choosing long over short sleeves. I don’t personally care for long sleeve shirts, either, but as loose as the sleeves are I just push them up over the elbow and wear them like short sleeves. I also know folks who convert the shirts to short sleeves, either themselves or at a tailor. Problem solved.

I love that disney puts the park icons on the sleeve to indicate which parks are on the course for some of the longer races and challenges. I just wish that Disney would put a large "Run Disney" logo on the rear of the shirts above all the sponsors in addition to the small "Run Disney" logo on the sleeve/shoulder. This is "brand awareness" that any 1st-year MBA candidate would understand. It would be very helpful when running on the 1st row of treadmills at the gym or when wearing a "Run Disney" shirt when passing others (or getting passed :worried:) at non-Disney races. Just my opinion...

- Kyle

Interestingly, the shirts offered earlier "I'm training for the Dopey" are short-sleeved, maybe because then it isn't winter.

I hate when races give out short sleeve shirts. I wear long sleeves year round (for both temperature and personal comfort reasons) and I hate how hard it is for me to find long-sleeve shirts sometimes. I get it during the summer, but giving out short-sleeves between November and March pisses me off.

I’m another who wears long sleeves year around. Makes me happy that I get long sleeve at Marathon weekend.

I rarely wear long sleeve shorts, but I’m glad for the ones Disney hands out at marathon weekend. They make great throw away tops to wear to keep warm before the start.

I love my long sleeve Wine and Dine and Dopey shirts! I’m in Colorado and these shirts are my favorite for a little chilly at the beginning of a run but as the day warms up the sleeves easily push up on my arms without being too coarse of a material to chafe and also stay in place to “convert” into short sleeves.

Thanks all for the responses. I've now run into people who hate short sleeve t-shirts. For me, if it's cold enough to need something on my arms, it's time for a jacket or sweatshirt (over my short sleeved t-shirt :) ).

Any reason they couldn't offer a choice? I know that some shirts like the marathon shirt with the park logos would need to be long sleeved either way, but the others? I know they get a price break for ordering in bulk, but I can't seriously believe that the price break for 25k of one kinds is that much (if any) better then 12k of one and 13k of another. Offering a choice would seem to be the best of both worlds with very little (if any downside).

Thanks all for the responses. I've now run into people who hate short sleeve t-shirts. For me, if it's cold enough to need something on my arms, it's time for a jacket or sweatshirt (over my short sleeved t-shirt :) ).

Any reason they couldn't offer a choice? I know that some shirts like the marathon shirt with the park logos would need to be long sleeved either way, but the others? I know they get a price break for ordering in bulk, but I can't seriously believe that the price break for 25k of one kinds is that much (if any) better then 12k of one and 13k of another. Offering a choice would seem to be the best of both worlds with very little (if any downside).

Offering a choice would cause a significant increase in complexity for RunDisney to manage. RunDisney has a very small staff and relies very heavily on volunteers for their events. The need to match up SS/LS choice along with sizing for each registration is not a trivial addition to the massively complex operation of putting on an event of this size. Also keep in mind that registration for some of these events remains open right up until the race, too. The shirts have to be ordered well in advance and they have to have a "safety stock" of sizes of one variety of shirt to cover that. Having an extra option would require additional "safety stock". So it would not only cut into the volume discount, it would also require them to order additional overage, which is a cost they'd have to absorb. I don't know of any races that offer a choice between SS and LS shirts. You pretty much get what you get. Maybe there are some, but I haven't run across them. The good news/bad news is that they do offer event merchandise in short sleeves, so you can have a short sleeve shirt from Marathon Weekend to wear, you just have to buy it...

Last edited:
The good news/bad news is that they do offer event merchandise in short sleeves, so you can have a short sleeve shirt from Marathon Weekend to wear, you just have to buy it...

The other good news is that if the length of the sleeves on the race shirt you receive with your entry fee is not to your liking, there are thousands of other races in the world to choose from, most of which are far cheaper than a Disney race, so you can get the shirt style you want and save a few bucks too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!