Keep Moving Forward: A Training Log (Comments Welcome)

I've been fighting a cold, so I postponed yesterday's run, much to my chagrin. It was (relatively) warm and sunny yesterday and I had really been looking forward to getting out.

Fortunately, it was still (relatively) warm today, though the sun was nowhere to be found. All in all, it was a pleasant run.

Today's workout called for 6 miles @ EA (9:47/mile). Operation: Slow Down DID NOT go very well today, despite a concerted effort to ease up on my pace. All of my miles were out of range. Not terribly, but still misses. I'll get another crack at it tomorrow.

Today's Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:20/mile
Time: 55:59

So, whatever this bug is, it’s hit me hard. My body just aches. I skipped yesterday’s workout and today isn’t looking good, either.

I hate missing workouts, but I don’t want to push it and impede my recovery. Unless there’s an argument to be made for sucking it up and getting out there?

So, whatever this bug is, it’s hit me hard. My body just aches. I skipped yesterday’s workout and today isn’t looking good, either.

I hate missing workouts, but I don’t want to push it and impede my recovery. Unless there’s an argument to be made for sucking it up and getting out there?

A few missed workouts in a rare event won't cause problems (it's consistently skipping that causes issues long term). If you really don't feel up for even an easy run, then don't worry about skipping it.

I tried, guys.

This afternoon I loaded up on Tylenol and figured I could handle an easy run. Everything started off okay, but around the 2-mile mark, I started feeling a little sick to my stomach. I debated pushing on or heading back home, before finally deciding to head back home. As I was running back, I slipped on a patch of ice and hit the sidewalk hard. After that, I decided that was probably enough and walked the rest of the way home.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

So, between missing one run and cutting another one short, it wasn't the best week, running-wise. But, I bookended the week with two decent runs - my tempo run on Tuesday and today's Long Run.

With yesterday's wipeout fresh on my mind (I have a few bumps and bruises to remind me), I waited until just after noon to go for today's run. It was sunny and above freezing, so I did not have to worry as much about ice. It was wet and pretty slushy, but that's generally not a problem.

Today's workout called for seven miles @ Long Run (8:46/mile). I'm proud to say I stuck to my pace pretty well, even though I went out just wanting to get the miles in, with pace being a secondary goal. I miles 2 and 3 came in out of range, at 8:26 and 8:28, respectively; however, everything else came in between 8:37 and 8:55.

After feeling less than ideal the last few days (and frankly, not 100 percent this morning), it felt good to get out today. The sun felt good on my face and the cool air felt good in my lungs. Hopefully, a nice, vigorous workout will help me kick this bug.

Today's Distance: 7 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:43
Time: 1:01
Miles This Week: 24
Year To Date: 212

Yikes! That fall sounds rough. It's why I hate to run on slick roads. I really fear falling. Glad you were able to get in a solid long run though. Hope you aren't feeling too rough.

A day and a half of heavy rain cleared out most of the snow in Iowa City this week. Unfortunately, wet sidewalks turned into slick sidewalks this afternoon when the temperatures dropped below freezing. That mean lots of stopping and walking to avoid big patches of ice and slowing down when the ice was unavoidable. Not exactly a recipe for a great tempo run.

Anyway, today's workout called for a 1 mile warmup followed by 7 miles @ Tempo (8:05/mile). It's hard to know how much credit to give myself since the run was all over the place thanks to the ice, but my tempo runs were pretty decent for the most part. I'm still struggling with a nasty cough, but I'm glad that I was physically able to get out the door and get some miles in today.

Today's Distance: 8.5 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:24/mile
Time: 1:11:24

I was taking care of a 3-year-old with the flu yesterday (she's feeling better now) and didn't have a chance to update this log, but I DID have a chance to get in 6 miles @ EA (9:47/mile).

Not much to report on this run. The running conditions were MUCH better, though I still had to contend with some ice. That translated to a largely successful, albeit easy, run. I did run mile 3 at 9:16, considerably out of range. But, to be honest, sometimes when I'm running I kind of forget what I doing and just start cruising at whatever speed I want until I remember what I'm supposed to be doing. All in all, it was a good run.

Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:41/mile
Time: 58:06

Another 6 miles @ EA (9:47/mile) today. Not much to report. Same six mile route I always take. Solid results. I hit five of six goals.

Today's Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:43/mile
Time: 58:19

Went out for 10 miles this morning. Made it half a mile. The sidewalks were way too slick. Then, I went home to walk the dog and we both slipped. Good times!

Schedule is tight today and there’s rain in the forecast. If I can’t run this afternoon, I’ll get on the exercise bike for 90 minutes.

Hope your sickness is gone now! Great job getting back into the groove though. I bailed in my outdoor run this morning when it was sleeting - yuck! Treadmill it was!

Whooooooo!

It's amazing what a little sunshine and warmth can do for the mental side of my running game. The weather was gorgeous today for my run and I felt like I was ready to take on the world. "The world" I would have preferred would have been Disney World, but instead I took on 12 miles of Iowa City sidewalks and streets.

Today's workout called for 9 miles @ Long Run (8:46/mile) followed by 3 miles @ Tempo (8:05). Like I said, the weather felt so good today. There was almost no ice and just a few puddles.

I'm happy to say my pacing went pretty well today:

1 - 8:34
2 - 8:41
3 - 8:33
4 - 8:39
5 - 8:44
6 - 8:30
7 - 8:34
8 - 9:02
9 - 8:17

Right within range on 3/9, really close on 4/9 and a little all over the place on miles 8 (mostly uphill) and 9 (downhill with some overcompensation going on).

My biggest concern was whether I'd have anything left in the tank for the Tempo run at the end, especially after that 9:02 Mile 8. I'm happy to say I was able to knock out those three Tempo miles:

10 - 8:01
11 - 7:56
12 - 7:52

2/3 within range and one really close. Now, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, but by my count, that's 5/12 that I was within range and another 5/12 that I was *really* close to my goal time. So, I'm happy with all of that.

Added bonus: the weather this week looks fantastic. I'm feeling recharged and ready to kick some butt.

Today's Distance: 12 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:27
Time: 1:41:27
Miles This Week: 33 (not counting 60 minutes on the bike last night)
Year To Date: 252

Great 12 Mile training run. We also had a beautiful day here yesterday and this week is also looking pretty good. Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter