Dopey 2020.....

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ALMOST HERE!!! Ahhh! So excited!! This will be my first runDisney event (unless you include that little fun run they do at Old Key West, LOL) and I am looking forward to jumping in with both feet by running Dopey. I finished up my last "heavy" training week last week with around 53 miles, including a 13 miler and a 20 miler that both felt great. I'm starting a gradual taper this week, dropping to 40, then 30 next week, and the a couple easy shake-out runs on race week. I am totally running these races for fun with no time goals, just going to soak in the experience (hopefully not literally!).

On the shoe front, I will be alternating between my comfortable, well-worn Hoka Arahi 2's for the 5k & 10k, then switching to my new Hoka Carbon X for the weekend races. Extra cushion, extra comfy. I've been running in Hokas exclusively for the last 5 or so years on both roads and trails and have been through many a pair, and they've done me right so far. I'll also probably bring a 3rd backup (Hoka Rincon) just in case the weather becomes a problem.

Safe travels to all and see you on the course!

Last edited:
So, am I the only one dopey enough to be thinking about adding in a resort fun run as well? Staying at YC and the Regatta Run 3K is Thursday at 9....

So, am I the only one dopey enough to be thinking about adding in a resort fun run as well? Staying at YC and the Regatta Run 3K is Thursday at 9....
Are they actually having it? They usually stop the resort runs during a race weekend.

Are they actually having it? They usually stop the resort runs during a race weekend.

Ah, did not know that. Just saw it’s held Thursday’s at 9. Guess when I get down I’ll take a look to see if it’s actually happening.

Just walked by the YC and they had a sign saying it will be canceled this week.

Thanks. Good to know the decision is out of my hands. Because I probably would have been dopey enough to have done it and that would have been completely unnecessary.

First time running a runDisney event and goofy...actually dopey enough to sign-up for this challenge.

Would appreciate any tips (e.g. packet pick up, expo, transport, etc)

We're staying at Saratoga Springs.

Cheers!

First time running a runDisney event and goofy...actually dopey enough to sign-up for this challenge.

Would appreciate any tips (e.g. packet pick up, expo, transport, etc)

Random advice based on 6 Dopeys and 1 pre-Dopey "Dopey":
- Because of Dopey, you have to go for bib pickup on Wednesday - wait until later afternoon. Wednesday mornings of the Expo are PACKED! Pure chaos.
- Be patient with all the people at packet pickup, shirt pickup, security, etc. I think the packet and shirt people are still volunteers and they have been dealing with some impatient and rude people during the day. Relax and enjoy the Disney magic.
- I always take the first bus. In my seven marathon weekends and 1 Star Wars weekend, I've run 28 races and had three (maybe four) bad bus experiences. Yes, that's less than 14% but personally I like my race mornings as stress free as possible. There are many others on these boards that disagree so heed my advice based on your preferences.
- Take a rolled-up plastic shopping bag with you each race for the end-of-race goodies. You will get a bottle of water, a bottle of Powerade (some people take two), a banana, and a snack box. That's kind of a lot to carry around easily. The bag will really help.
- Take your time during the 5K, the last corrals won't start until around 40 minutes (or more) after the first corrals start. If you finish fast, you'll be waiting for the later corrals to start and the buses can't stage in the pickup area until everybody has started and cleared the area. If you do finish early, be sure to go cheer on the late starters. They are a lot of families and non-traditional runners in those later corrals and seem to appreciate the encouragement.
- Through Epcot (especially the stretch from China to Germany) it's sometimes wet and dark so be careful.
- All of the courses can get congested in places. Be aware of your surrounding runners. If you're going to pass somebody, just take a quick glance behind you to see if somebody is coming up in order to avoid cutting them off.
- Especially late in the race, encourage runners and walkers you're passing.
- Take sunglasses to the Half and Full. Some of the roads have no shade and the sun can be aggravating if you're running straight into it...plus you're finish photos will look that more awesome!
- After the races - stretch....and then stretch some more. The reason is that those bus rides back to your resort can take some time due to the traffic and getting off the bus after sitting for awhile can be a little tough.

Most of all have fun, share a great attitude with other runners, then wear your medals proudly!!! Best of luck!!!

Random advice based on 6 Dopeys and 1 pre-Dopey "Dopey":
- Because of Dopey, you have to go for bib pickup on Wednesday - wait until later afternoon. Wednesday mornings of the Expo are PACKED! Pure chaos.
- Be patient with all the people at packet pickup, shirt pickup, security, etc. I think the packet and shirt people are still volunteers and they have been dealing with some impatient and rude people during the day. Relax and enjoy the Disney magic.
- I always take the first bus. In my seven marathon weekends and 1 Star Wars weekend, I've run 28 races and had three (maybe four) bad bus experiences. Yes, that's less than 14% but personally I like my race mornings as stress free as possible. There are many others on these boards that disagree so heed my advice based on your preferences.
- Take a rolled-up plastic shopping bag with you each race for the end-of-race goodies. You will get a bottle of water, a bottle of Powerade (some people take two), a banana, and a snack box. That's kind of a lot to carry around easily. The bag will really help.
- Take your time during the 5K, the last corrals won't start until around 40 minutes (or more) after the first corrals start. If you finish fast, you'll be waiting for the later corrals to start and the buses can't stage in the pickup area until everybody has started and cleared the area. If you do finish early, be sure to go cheer on the late starters. They are a lot of families and non-traditional runners in those later corrals and seem to appreciate the encouragement.
- Through Epcot (especially the stretch from China to Germany) it's sometimes wet and dark so be careful.
- All of the courses can get congested in places. Be aware of your surrounding runners. If you're going to pass somebody, just take a quick glance behind you to see if somebody is coming up in order to avoid cutting them off.
- Especially late in the race, encourage runners and walkers you're passing.
- Take sunglasses to the Half and Full. Some of the roads have no shade and the sun can be aggravating if you're running straight into it...plus you're finish photos will look that more awesome!
- After the races - stretch....and then stretch some more. The reason is that those bus rides back to your resort can take some time due to the traffic and getting off the bus after sitting for awhile can be a little tough.

Most of all have fun, share a great attitude with other runners, then wear your medals proudly!!! Best of luck!!!

THANK YOU! I really appreciate your write up!
We’ll take your advice on the afternoon pickup tomorrow. And re-read your post again before going to bed tonight.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!