Door latch / deadbolt

Drewmama

Mouseketeer
Is it true that they removed or will be removing the latches/deadbolts from the rooms? If they have, I'm not completely confident in just the electronic door lock, especially in the middle of the night.

That would be ridiculous. Where did you hear/read that? It's not going to happen.

Hope not! When I am in a hotel room, always use the extra precautions of door latches and deadbolts. Would not want to be in the shower or come out of a shower knowing there is staff or anyone else in room.:eek:

That would be ridiculous. Where did you hear/read that? It's not going to happen.

I tried to search but couldn't find anything so maybe I misunderstood whatever it was I read. It does sound ridiculous so I was trying to find out more information.

There will be a lot of staff seeing guests naked if that happens. I’m sure disney housekeepers see guests naked from time to time. But if this happens it will be almost everyday.

I would be surprised if they do, and if it is legal to do so. As a landlord, by law I have to put a deadbolt on my all the entry doors that can only be operated from the inside (no exterior key) because there were a couple reports of abusive landlords walking in on a tenant.

It was a fb post from someone who stayed at the poly. The door latch was partially removed.

Sounds more like bad maintenance vs new policy. This was in response to a guest that had housekeeping enter while she was in the shower. She came out and her trash was empty. She hadn't used the latch as her husband went to the food court

The person commenting indicated she had no latch.

There is no official indication at all that WDW intends to remove the latches and/or deadbolts from the resort doors.

I just completed a stay at BWV (2bedroom) and there were not any deadbolt locks on either of the doors. Only the swing latches.

I just completed a stay at BWV (2bedroom) and there were not any deadbolt locks on either of the doors. Only the swing latches.
I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual deadbolt on a Disney room, there is the swing latch and the twist latch (sort of a deadbolt, kind of) that is part of the regular door lock, like almost all hotels use.

Pretty sure the newer refurbished rooms just have the swing latches. I don't remember the last time I saw a dead bolt.

That's all they've ever had, at least that I've noticed. IMHO, those are better than the chains.

The rest of the door latch has been as Chuck S described.

I think that when there was a discussion about the latches being removed, it was saying that if needed, a CM is able to remove the latch. Not that the latches are being removed from all doors! If there were to be a situation where a CM had to get into a room due to a guest being ill or such, they have a device that will remove the latch. But in every day operations, not an issue.

To me if you have to manually turn the latch bolt to apply the bolt then it is better than a regular latch. That is what most if not all of the DVC resorts at WDW have. And it is even better if it doesn't open when you turn the handle to exit. I get frustrated with the BLT latch because it doesn't open automatically but that is a more secure latch bolt.

I have just returned from a stay at BCV. The door to my villa had the swinging latch. However, there was a groove in the door that lines up with the swinging latch. I expect that Disney Housekeeping and/or Security has a shim that fits the groove and can defeat the swinging latch. [Insert rant about response to abuse of 2nd amendment rights being curtailing 4th amendment rights.] Can't really blaim Disney; they are doing what's necessary to protect the bottom line, uh, guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!