Don't know what to do?

freemore

Mouseketeer
Have fibromyalgia and arthritis and neck problem. Can't decide if I should rent a car from the airport because I am afraid of bumpy or uncomfortable busses at Disney. Also I haven't used an ecv but think I need one. Can you get them in the trunk of your car if I do rent a car? Is it true you need to rent one offsite because they aren't readily available late morning. Do most people with disabilities rent cars from the airport or do they use the limo services? It seems like there are so many difficult decisions to make about the easiest and most comfortable way to get around. The decision making is spoiling the excitement of going for me. I'm also 64 and don't want to spoil the experience for my husband who doesn't always understand my disability. I would appreciate any advice on anything. Thank you so much. Lene

Hi Freemore,

I should preface this by saying that I am not disabled but I do think that renting a car at WDW is probably an easier way to go for people who are concerned about space, comfort and bumpy rides.

I do get very claustrophobic and being smooshed into those busses during rush hour is not fun, and I'd imagine it is even worse with a wheelchair or ecv. I recommend renting a car to everybody who can. I found on my last trip that the traffic was not too bad and the $7 for parking is well worth it to not have to wait for busses.

I have read that the evc's can be gone by mid afternoon during very busy times, but maybe if you call ahead, they can have one reserved for you? I'm not 100% sure about this, but maybe call WDW before you go and check. Otherwise I'm sure bringing on in that was rented elsewhere would be okay.

I'd also suggest if you think this will be the case, renting a car that has an open back, like a van or SUV with a ramp so you (or your traveling companions) can load the ecv in and out of the car easily.

Relax. Your trip is going to be fine (not to mention fun!). :)

Sheri

Sheri, thanks for your reply, I have decided to go ahead and rent the car and also rent an ecv from walker. Just knowing I will have the car has made me feel better already and I'm not there yet!!

Thanks Lene

Originally posted by freemore
Sheri, thanks for your reply, I have decided to go ahead and rent the car and also rent an ecv from walker. Just knowing I will have the car has made me feel better already and I'm not there yet!!

Thanks Lene

Lene,

Having a car at WDW really is great. :) I never had one there until my last trip, and I will always rent one from now on. Cuts back on so much hassle, and stress.

Have a GREAT trip!!!

:)

I would just like to add that you can't call ahead and reserve an ECV, it's strictly first come first served and they do run out.

Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter