"Don't anger the dolls"-A France and DLP Trip, June '18-COMPLETED (4/22-ride comparisons)

Part 18, Reflections

So, I decided, hey – I should take advantage of nighttime lighting and rainy grounds and get some night photos. Of course it wasn’t pitch black yet – the curses of being so far north in summer.

Started in Discoveryland, which lends itself well to reflection photos with all the neon and the puddles on the ground.

v9vNLp2.jpg
jQJwpLu.jpg

Autopia didn’t have much of a wait so I decided to give it a ride. It was nice – lots of neon lights. Still not as cute as the Disneyland version though! (Unfortunately some of my night photos came out blurry – darn iPhone 8 and work not letting me upgrade to an X yet!)

viKSTwE.jpg
8uFw7id.jpg
wSd23AR.jpg
EP0cacE.jpg
FGlfnzt.jpg
NEdHv3e.jpg
VFXLzuO.jpg
2ZGaQI3.jpg
Etlm20p.jpg

I headed back thru central plaza and there was still a good amount of time before illuminations and the crowds hadn’t built up yet.

O9256SN.jpg

So I headed into Frontierland and got a few photos.

La9CyRz.jpg
pkUdVv0.jpg
lts3hms.jpg
pSLgtL0.jpg
UBfDJUw.jpg
QHOE0Si.jpg

I had hoped to ride BTMR in the dark, but unfortunately it was closed and all the maintenance lights were on, so I didn’t get the chance.

VxrS1l2.jpg

Then up to Adventureland.

adsCV3n.jpg
5B470a9.jpg
uJ6b60H.jpg
fnvkDdw.jpg
BVep5VL.jpg
Y91nVif.jpg
OHl4PnY.jpg
tv2Jan9.jpg
ZoH2yQq.jpg

I tried heading all the way into fantasyland, but they had already closed that area, so I had to walk all the way back around to the main Adventureland entrance.

XrZEvVO.jpg
z7MHIgr.jpg
LfTBgLT.jpg
HW6EAPV.jpg
BM0iXtG.jpg

Part 19, Illuminations

I ended up finding a spot to watch Illuminations near the entrance to Adventureland. It was slightly off-center, but I figured would still give me a chance to see the front of the castle and the fountains.

Vf78exs.jpg

The show started around 11. It was nice. Projections were very good, but not much pyro (it’s more projections with a side of pyro). Problem was, once the show started, the rain also decided to come out and watch. So umbrellas quickly popped up (so annoying). And it also changed the wind patterns, so what pyro did go off ended up having the smoke linger for a bit which meant at one point in the show we really couldn’t see the projections at all!

znHMRyQ.jpg
6aPX7Hy.jpg
ASRTJQ6.jpg
5HIHrvs.jpg
dWD5hPR.jpg
WsHeKzl.jpg
3uHcAwq.jpg
FjLVYof.jpg
HJ8PvkY.jpg
utRfBHx.jpg

Smoke starting to collect…

AbBhH3B.jpg
5VXn5nA.jpg
ljvXZ7a.jpg
9f3TMe8.jpg
zTh8kuG.jpg

Lion King segment

LsntjNd.jpg
pTocZ5X.jpg
UNXZ67H.jpg
6Qt4aIT.jpg

Yeah, pretty difficult to see!

uNt0FXy.jpg
quRMWLu.jpg
KwSya7b.jpg
RkSiLQN.jpg
eGYVqes.jpg

Part 20: Illuminations, cont.

More show images (winds started to clear away some smoke)

5HVG3vj.jpg
pMf2NtA.jpg
6LSpZG4.jpg
xN4azs4.jpg
KgkvS1A.jpg
h1GPlVw.jpg
ZTMtOxS.jpg
K2ptpDw.jpg
t1AMEDA.jpg
cm1eIta.jpg
uCZ2qQZ.jpg
UX11oNY.jpg

Though the lasers hitting the rain drops did look cool!

ISPn904.jpg
96UWmK4.jpg
giphy.gif

Overall, it was one of those shows, that while it was good, it didn’t have an emotional resonance with me. I loved Happily Ever After the moment I saw it. And I actually watched the previous castle show on youtube, Disney Dreams, which I also felt such a connection with immediately. And don’t get me started on Remember…Dreams Come True at Disneyland – I still get shivers when I watch that one and it’s been around for over a decade! So, in the end, it wasn’t my favorite. I think if there was even more pyro, or if they really came up with a way to make it emotional, not just a Disney clip show, maybe I’d love it even more. I had hoped to see it again, but unfortunately that never happened (exhaustion won out my other nights). I think the same show is on at Shanghai Disney and I will see it at least one night, so maybe I’ll feel differently then?

Of course, I totally recommend seeing it for yourself, and I actually did want to see it again, but looking back on it, I honestly don't have anything that truly stands out!

Leaving the area was a bit hellish. It was pouring rain, and everyone had to leave (park was closed), so we were just moving down the arcades like cattle. I normally would have just stayed for a bit to let crowds dissipate, but that didn’t work with the rain.

I also didn’t get the best photos of Fantasia Gardens or Disney Village at night, and figured I could do that another night…oops! So, whenever I end up going back to DLP, nighttime would be a priority! This was one of the times I really regretted not staying at DLH. If I had, I could easily have made it out for Illuminations multiple nights.

abdbPFz.jpg
mbk21Pg.jpg

WOR NEY? Also you can get an idea of the rain.

23W6RMs.jpg

Anyways, back to my room, peeled off my soaking clothes and shoes, and collapsed into bed. I decided the following morning I was not going to attempt EMH, as I was just too tired!

Coming up: 11 hours at a park and only going on 3 rides?!?

You weren't kidding about the smoke obscuring that projections. Yikes.
I had the exact same feelings about the show as you when I saw it in 2016. It was really underwhelming, and I think that's maybe because I've gotten spoiled with a lot of fireworks in the Disney nighttime shows. Hopefully, Shanghai's version will be a little better.

Sorry the show wasn’t your favorite and that the rain made for a very damp evening but you did get some gorgeous nighttime photos and wet pavement made for some great reflections. Sounds like you definitely needed your bed. How long was the walk? We stayed in Newport Bay in 1999 and I loved the stroll around the little lake to our hotel but I did always have a touch of the green-eyed monster as I watched people come and go from the Disneyland Hotel!:tilt:
Maybe someday!!

Loved all your photos of the park at night and the fireworks!

Glad you were still able to find a good spot closer to the show- although the idea of using a planter as a shield is smart thinking ;)

Illuminations wasn't playing yet in 2016, they started it in 2017 for the 25th anniversary. In 2016 there was Dreams! Which a lot of people consider to be better

I was definitely in the minority and wasn't impressed with Dreams at all. Really glad we skipped the fireworks over the summer now. But I'll also admit that I think I was expecting the MK-level of fireworks since it was still in its Wishes days. (So I hadn't had to deal with many projections yet.)

I agree, that Snow and Prince animatronic are very... doll-like. They don't look like them. Best finale for SWSA was the end at Magic Kingdom. They had a mural of Snow and the Prince with the dwarfs behind them except one. Then above the archway was Dopey waving at you. That was always my favorite. I'm sad they haven't brought that into the other parks. :(

Love all the nighttime photos. DLP is such a beautiful park and the lighting packages they have just make it look more stunning. Ugh, I WANT TO GO!

I'm sorry to hear Illuminations didn't really live up to expectations. It does look beautiful but you weren't wrong about the smoke. IllumiNations at Epcot has the same issue when you go on windy nights. The smoke can be AWFUL, see nothing and it will just rotate itself around the lagoon. The way you describe it almost mimics how I feel about WoC and potentially HEA. I just see a Disney clips show with some type of effect like fountains, projections or pyro or a combination. It's not super emotionally connecting throughout. :/

That stinks about the rain, but at least you just went right back and passed out. Excited to hear about this 11 hour day! :mickeyjum

I think the figures at the end were different though. But I thought they looked sort of creepy?

3tjzeB6.jpg

You are correct--these are MORE THAN creepy!!!!

Nighttime pics are my favorite :) Glad you got some! The castle looks beautiful at night, and with the projections, despite the rain. Too bad the rain really put a damper on your night, and that you didn't get back for more nighttime fun on this trip. BUT, that means you'll just have to go back!! :)

You weren't kidding about the smoke obscuring that projections. Yikes.
I had the exact same feelings about the show as you when I saw it in 2016. It was really underwhelming, and I think that's maybe because I've gotten spoiled with a lot of fireworks in the Disney nighttime shows. Hopefully, Shanghai's version will be a little better.
Yeah, the smoke was a bit crazy! At one point the other guests around me were just looking at each other and sort of shrugging our shoulders!

Sorry the show wasn’t your favorite and that the rain made for a very damp evening but you did get some gorgeous nighttime photos and wet pavement made for some great reflections. Sounds like you definitely needed your bed. How long was the walk? We stayed in Newport Bay in 1999 and I loved the stroll around the little lake to our hotel but I did always have a touch of the green-eyed monster as I watched people come and go from the Disneyland Hotel!:tilt:
Maybe someday!!
It was definitely a deep sleep that night! The walk wasn't insane or anything, about 15 minutes. I think a combo of the long park days and that walk made it a bit exhausting! And impractical to go back often for breaks! When I go back, I will definitely try to stay at the DLH!

Loved all your photos of the park at night and the fireworks!

Glad you were still able to find a good spot closer to the show- although the idea of using a planter as a shield is smart thinking ;)
I think I heard about someone else doing that too! If it hadn't been raining, I probably would have just camped out and sat down to do whatever - a bit hard to do though when its so wet!

I agree, that Snow and Prince animatronic are very... doll-like. They don't look like them. Best finale for SWSA was the end at Magic Kingdom. They had a mural of Snow and the Prince with the dwarfs behind them except one. Then above the archway was Dopey waving at you. That was always my favorite. I'm sad they haven't brought that into the other parks. :(

Love all the nighttime photos. DLP is such a beautiful park and the lighting packages they have just make it look more stunning. Ugh, I WANT TO GO!

I'm sorry to hear Illuminations didn't really live up to expectations. It does look beautiful but you weren't wrong about the smoke. IllumiNations at Epcot has the same issue when you go on windy nights. The smoke can be AWFUL, see nothing and it will just rotate itself around the lagoon. The way you describe it almost mimics how I feel about WoC and potentially HEA. I just see a Disney clips show with some type of effect like fountains, projections or pyro or a combination. It's not super emotionally connecting throughout. :/

That stinks about the rain, but at least you just went right back and passed out. Excited to hear about this 11 hour day! :mickeyjum
That ending for Snow White sounds great! Too bad I never got to see it!

I did like the lighting throughout the park at night! And it worked even better with the wet pavement!

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of WoC for that same reason. I do love the Christmas version, because it uses the clips in a way that connects them together, plus fun effects.

You are correct--these are MORE THAN creepy!!!!

Nighttime pics are my favorite :) Glad you got some! The castle looks beautiful at night, and with the projections, despite the rain. Too bad the rain really put a damper on your night, and that you didn't get back for more nighttime fun on this trip. BUT, that means you'll just have to go back!! :)
Good to know I wasn't the only one to see the creepiness! I think my car was also stuck for a while so I was just staring at them!

How disappointing that the rain put a damper on the show and then the show didn't even "wow "you to kind of make it worth it.

Musical Fountains

As I mentioned earlier, we visited on a Musical Fountain Show day. During the warmer months (March – October), a few days a week they activate the fountains, as well as having music piped through the gardens and groves. This past summer, it was on Tuesday, Saturday, and Sunday (though Tuesdays were limited to May-June). They also have Musical Gardens, which doesn’t have the fountains running.
I'm slowly working my way through with a word document open for all of your tips :) But now I can convince Zack to go to Versailles - the fountains! He loves them so much :laughing: World of Color is his favorite Disney show, and he would watch the Epcot fountain (Fountain of Nations?) all day if I let him.

All caught up, love all the pictures! I really miss Snow White, I love dark rides, wish WDW had a few more. I am sappy like that!

Sorry the rain put a damper on the evening. It’s interesting to hear Illuminations and not think of Epcot!

How disappointing that the rain put a damper on the show and then the show didn't even "wow "you to kind of make it worth it.
I mean, I was happy to see it, and it wasn't bad. Just not something that really stuck with me!

I'm slowly working my way through with a word document open for all of your tips :) But now I can convince Zack to go to Versailles - the fountains! He loves them so much :laughing: World of Color is his favorite Disney show, and he would watch the Epcot fountain (Fountain of Nations?) all day if I let him.
Haha, the fountains are cool! You have to make sure to go during the summer and the fountains only come on a couple days a week.

I have the same sort of thing for any Asian TR's - lots of various tips to note!

Man, you accomplished alot in that evening!

Hmmmm, something doesn't seem to fit in these 2 sentences....
I know - definitely not like me with only 3 rides! But it will make sense later!

All caught up, love all the pictures! I really miss Snow White, I love dark rides, wish WDW had a few more. I am sappy like that!

Sorry the rain put a damper on the evening. It’s interesting to hear Illuminations and not think of Epcot!
Yeah, it is a bit weird that they called it the same thing! I think dark rides really help give Disney that family feel - something everyone can do!

Great nighttime photos! That stinks about the rain and not being blown away by the show.
Definitely got soaked in the rain, but I didn't regret it! I did wish I could have seen it another time, but it just didn't happen.

I just found your report and am loving it! Filled with great tips that I need to make notes about! I'm attending a conference this August in France and will end the trip with a one night stay at DLP - hopefully in the Disneyland Hotel! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

First, I'm sorry about yet another delay in finishing up this TR! Just got back from Florida on another WDW visit, but this time with a cruise! And let me say, it will not be my last cruise at all! Loved it and already booked again, plus figuring out what other future cruises I'd like to take! Every great thing you've heard about Disney Cruise Line is true! But I promised myself I won't start up that report until I finish this one!

I just found your report and am loving it! Filled with great tips that I need to make notes about! I'm attending a conference this August in France and will end the trip with a one night stay at DLP - hopefully in the Disneyland Hotel! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
How fun! And sounds like the right idea to stay at the DLH! Especially with only 1 night, you want to make your time count!

I’m all caught up now and getting super excited for my own trip to Paris/DLP coming up in May!
Exciting! Let me know if you have any other questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!