Dolphin ???'s

ksistersmom

Earning My Ears
Well, I just told my friend (who happens to be a travel agent but, not the one we booked thru) about staying at the Dolphin. She said we weren't gonna like it...........have you guys stayed there. Can you tell me about your personal experience. She said that it is too far away from the parks, too expensive to eat there and it is too big. I normally value her opinion.....but, this time I have to wonder if she's off the mark!

ksistersmom,
I am booked to stay at the Dolphin January 11th and 12th. I have never stayed here, but have stayed at the Boardwalk which is right next to this resort. It is Very close to MGM. Easy walking distance from this resort with a paved path. You can also walk to Epcot , though it is a little farther. You can also take the boat which picks up at Swan & Dolphin, Boardwalk, & Yacht & Beach Club every 15-20 minutes. The Swan & Dolphin is a beautiful resort and has several restaurants to choose from, Priced from Moderate to expensive. There is also the other resorts to choose from if you get hungry. we looked up this resort and were pleased to find the pool area is huge over 3 acres of pools, 4 jacuzzi's and a waterfall. For $99.00 I can't think of a better place to stay.

Thanks Teri, you just put my mind at ease. I am a nervous wreck about this trip. I so want it to be the dream vacation.....I am sure it will be!!! I am now trying to narrow down my excursions........wanna solve that dilemma for me???? I am looking forward to swimming in those pools!!! We're staying the 10th and 11th.........I'll be the fat gal having a blast with three heathen girls!!!!

Dana

Dana,
I guess I will be the only other fat girl swimming too. (Ha.Ha) I love swimming and don't worry about my size. I am there to have fun not win a beauty contest. There is a lot of information on this site about the Swan & Dolphin. You just need to scroll down and find it. I hope you and your girls have a great time. I can't wait. See you by the pool. As far as excursions are you going on the 7 day or the 4 day??? I have been to both and will be doing the 4 day again with my hubby.

Ps. Actually you need to scroll up and go to Disney resorts. Here you will find a photo tour of the Resort as well as a forum about people who have stayed there.

tluvstalk

How did you get $ 99.rate? I was quoted $ 182. a night
They said that was the best they could do. I would love to have your rate.

Hi Teri.........I'll see you poolside!!!!

We are going on the 7-day. I want to shop at St. Maarten..I want to buy some jewelry. I figured we could either take a cab or rent a car there.

For St. Thomas I am considering these:

5-star St. John snorkel and beach adventure or
St. John Trunk Bay Beach

I don't have a clue what to do either place........these decisions are KILLING me!!!! Any help will be appreciated!

Dana

poohbear7,
I found the information on www.mousesavers.com . Below is the information I copied from that website. We booked our cruise through Disney cruise Line, so we had to call them to make the reservations for us. You cannot call resort and make them directly. Whoever you booked your cruise through has to do that for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Disney cruise passengers offered great deals at the Swan & Dolphin! There are two new offers for those who are taking a Disney cruise:

Because of recent Moderate resort closings, currently if you book a 7-day Land/Sea package your only hotel option is the Caribbean Beach Resort. HOWEVER, now you can upgrade your package and stay at the Swan or Dolphin for only $149 more -- and you get a $200 food/merchandise credit to use at the hotel, plus kids 9 and under eat FREE at the hotel when accompanied by an adult! This one's a no-brainer -- definitely worth the upgrade!

If you are booking a cruise-only package, you can add up to 14 days (on one or both ends of your trip) at the Swan or Dolphin for only $99 a night! A great deal on a hotel that normally costs well over $200 a night

ksistersmom,
We went to St. Maarten this last March. I enjoyed it but is was very hot. We took a water taxi over to the shopping area and went to Great bay Beach. I was able to do all of my shopping from the beach. The ladies will approach you to buy stuff and have hair braided. There were several girls around us who had there hair braided for real good prices. they do negotiate. They also have a album with pictures of different braid styles. I did manage to escape braidless. They will leave if you say no thanks. I did buy a nice bathing suit wrap ( sarong) for $ 10.00. A nice big tote bag that says St. Maarten on it for $8.00. I do wish we would have gone to a different beach, maybe next time. In St. Thomas we went to the Paradise Point Sky tram that takes you up a mountain. The view was gorgeous and you could see all of the Ships from the top. We went to the Hard Rock cafe and had lunch. Then we shopped. There is a neat shop that sells the shirts that turn colors in the sun. I wish we had made time to go to Magens Bay. I heard it is beautiful. I guess that will be a good reason to cruise again on the 7 day. Hope your cruise is wonderful.

Teri,

Water taxi?? What was the cost of that? I am considering renting scooters.........IF that works out for my family of FIVE. Then we can tool around the island and do whatever we want. We'll see though.......I am a little nervous about doing that.

I am VERY excited!
See you at the Dolphin.
Dana

ksistersmom,
The water taxi was $6.00 for all day use. They give you an arm band to wear. It depend on whether the Ship is docked or if you have to tender to downtown as to if you will need the water taxi. They rotate this and you can call DCL to find out. Once you are on land you will still need to take a cab if you are going any great distance, a scooter sounds like a good idea. St. marteen is a very interesting place, kinda like Nassau. We enjoyed it but it gets mixed reviews. The streets are very narrow and the pot holes are the size of swimming pools, ( a little exaggerated) so be careful if you go on your own.

...if you want to read the inside scoop on the WDW Dolphin, check out the "Resorts" board, and the "mom-on-the-run" Thread (over 450 posts)...it will offer an "inside" view into the Wonders of the Dolphin!! :)

ksistersmom,
I believe these resorts are owned by the Westin chain. Can't beat that.

...Actually, the Swan used to operate under Westin--and the Dolphin under Sheraton. Both of these companies were purchased by "Starwood Corporation". Both are still superior properties, and all the chains have retained their familiar names (like Westin, Sheraton, Etc.). I would "strongly" suggest anyone planning to stay at either of these properties to visit www.starwood.com and join the Starwood Preferred Guest program. You will receive points for your stay, which can be used for anything from upgrades & meals to car rentals and airlines! It won the freddie mac award for "Best Guest Program" in the industry. I hope you all have a wonderful stay, these properties are "Premier", by any standard. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter