• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dollars- Do you buy here or over there

TonyH

Earning My Ears
I was wondering if people buy their currency in the UK before travelling to the US, or do people use cashpoint machines over there.

When in Europe I use local cashpoint machines - but I've never tried this in the USA.

If you do use the cashpoint machines, what are the charges.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi Tony, welcome to the DIS :wave:

Ok, the last couple of times I've been I've taken some cash dollars to tide me over the first couple of days, Credit Cards for as many meals and purchases as possible, and then used the Cash Point once, maybe twice to take out more cash.

The charges vary. Your bank will charge a little, and then the US bank's cashpoint you use will charge also. If you were to use, Ummmm, I think it's Suntrust cashpoints, which are the ones on site at Disney at the resorts and in each of the parks, I think they charge $2 a withdrawal...or maybe it's $2 at a resort and $3 at the parks as that rings a bell. But I once withdrew cash at a Walmart cash point thinking it would be cheaper and got stung for $4 so really the onsite ones aren't so bad I guess! Obviously I took out a 'lump' of cash, rather than lots of small amounts because of this, but the exchange rate wasn't too bad as I recall so I don't think it's more expensive than TC's and much easier.

Cards need to have the Cirrus symbol on to work in the US.

Hope that helps :)

Penny :)

I always take about $100 in notes to tide us over for the airport to hotel journey. For the rest of the time I use $ traveller cheques or credit card. I'm not too happy with using cashpoints as there is a surcharge of a few dollars everytime you us them, especially for small amounts this soon adds up. Plus with travellers cheques if you are unfortunate enough to lose them or have them stolen then you can on most insurance policies claim it back if reported to Police as soon as you realise there is a lose/theft. Unlike Europe travellers cheques of smaller denoninations such as $20 and $50 dollars are treated as cash and there is no fee to use them. Also look in some of the high street travel agents as some of them are currently offering commission free exchanges for notes and cheques.
Hope this helps.
Claire :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter