Dollar overcharging for prepay fuel!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Keacc, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Keacc

Keacc DIS Veteran

If you prepay your fuel with Dollar, they are overcharging. For my mid-size cars, they are charging a flat $49.90. Most mid-size cars have either a 12 or 13 gallon tank. Based on that, they are charging $3.83 or more per gallon to prepay. Their prepay is consistently doing the same on all other sizes.:confused3

Alamo charges a per gallon price based on current gas prices ($2.62). My mid-size will cost me $34.45 ($15 less).

2. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

It based on fuel cost and the time an employee has to drive to get the gas. So each company has a different price. Just like buy a the same product at a store each store will have differ pricing. Why not just stop at the gas station at the Landstar exit on 417 and refuel for about $2.80 a gallon.

writerguyfl, LilyWDW and Alesia like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

I don't think that's a new thing. You're paying for convenience.

5. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

This has always been a bad deal. They wouldn't offer it if it wasn't making them money. You are overpaying on that midsize at Alamo too.... unless you can coast in on fumes????? Because you will probably use less than half so you are now paying between $4 and $5 a gallon.

It's a rip off. Just say NO!

ruadisneyfan2 and OKW Lover like this.
  6. SteveH

SteveH Earning my Mai Tai

You are paying for convenience so you don't have to hunt around for a gas station and do the work yourself. If you don't want to pay for it, you'll save money. Just like so many things in life, the buyer must beware.

LilyWDW and Alesia like this.
  7. Jimsig

Jimsig DIS Veteran

I almost always decline the fuel as it's usually a rip off. Only time recently I didn't was when my car was in the shop 2 months ago and the price Hertz quoted me for fuel was about 12 cents/gal lower then what I had paid earlier that day to fill my car up. I knew I was going to have that rental for at least 2 weeks so I was going to use that fuel. Other than that time I always decline.

8. marcyleecorgan

marcyleecorgan DIS Veteran

Sooooo that is the way that fuel costs with rental cars have ALWAYS been .... a complete rip-off. Make sure you stop at the closest gas station before you return the car.

DaisyDuck001 and LilyWDW like this.
  9. ilikecarrentals

ilikecarrentals Earning My Ears

If you read the terms and conditions these fees are just estimates.

Another reason not to prepay for gas is the rental agency quoted prices do not include taxes and fees. Make sure you include that additional cost in any calculations you make.

marcyleecorgan and LilyWDW like this.
  10. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

I think you need to make SURE that that's correct with Alamo. It's not my experience.

There are three ways to do fuel with rental cars.

1. decline all fuel from the rental agency, and make sure to stop to fill up on the way back, fairly close to the airport.

2. decline the prepay, get gas as needed during your trip, but don't worry about doing it on your way to return it, and they'll charge a high price for the convenience of filling it for you when you return it. this way you're paying the highest per-gallon cost, but you're only paying for the gallons needed to fill the tank from where it was when you returned it.

3. accept the prepay, which is going to be more than the gas station charge but lower than the per-gallon charge from #2 there, and either don't care what they charge OR coast in on fumes since you're paying for an entire tank of gas anyway.

Alamo's page about their fuel options:
    https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental-faqs/fuel-service-option.html

Dollar's page:
    https://www.dollar.com/TravelCenter/TravelTools/FPO.aspx

They are about the same.

LilyWDW likes this.
  11. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

When I last rented cars, the prepay was right around the going rate, maybe a few cents/gallon cheaper. But again, it's only worth it (IMO), if you use all the gas in the tank.

12. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

The going rate meaning at a normal gas station? wow. That hasn't been what I've noticed on their prepay signs!

And definitely not worth it unless you know you'll return it almost empty.

OrangeCountyCommuter likes this.
  13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

Yup.

14. Woodview

Woodview DIS Veteran

Rent with FULL to FULL Option

If you refill to First " Click " on pump hose ....... slow fill to Second "Click " and then

you have about 20 miles driving before needle starts to move from Full position.

15. Huff

Huff DIS Veteran

I always fill up on way to airport. Doesn't have to be right near the airport. As long as the fuel gauge still shows full when returned I've never been charged. Last time I filled it up nearly 30 miles from the airport. Gauge still showed full so didn't bother adding another gallon. Never a problem.

16. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

We fill up at the Landstar exit off 417 its the last exit before the airport exit.

17. writerguyfl

writerguyfl DIS Veteran

It varies by company. I do 8-12 rentals each year and I've found Alamo/National to be the "fairest" company. For example, they only charge the convenience fee for tolls on days you use the product. Other companies charge it every day of the rental, even if it's only used once.

Even at near-normal rates, Alamo/National makes money because most people don't return to the airport with the gas gauge on empty.

18. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

No matter how long you rented the car and no matter how many tankfuls of gas you bought and no matter how many miles you drove, there will always be the few (or several) gallons left behind in the tank when you return the car. This cuts down on (or more than eliminates) the savings from buying a tankful up front.

Almost no one can return the car to the airport completely empty and if the car happens to be completely empty (and makes it back) it is mostly a matter of luck.

19. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

As PP said, it doesn't matter how many tanks/miles you go, it only matters how empty the tank is when you turn it in.

Assuming a 15 gallon tank, and a .12/gallon difference in cost, you'd still need to leave only ~ 1/2 gallon in the tank to break even. So even on a car that gets 30 miles to the gallon, that means you're within 15 miles of being stuck on the side of the road.

It's just not practical.

OrangeCountyCommuter likes this.
  20. Jimsig

Jimsig DIS Veteran

That's why when I brought it back it was right on E and and the computer (though I know it was probably off by a small bit) said there was about 9 miles to empty. When I knew it was getting close to having to be returned the last fill up was 2 gals, enough to get me from work to home and to drop it off. I'm good like that :) Even if they got me for $1.00 or so it is not the end of the world as there was no convenient gas station on my way from where I live to where I had to drop it off. Like I said I always decline it, but to me this time was a no brainer.

sam_gordon likes this.