Dog-Friendly Resorts FAQ

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Lynne M, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Lacegarb

Lacegarb Earning My Ears

I took my pup to Riverside in July and a cast member mentioned the program would be discontinued after October :(

My pup stayed at Best Friends Pet Care during the day and loved it. We also loved it and decided he will be staying over night there during our November trip.

snappy likes this.
  2. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

It was not discontinued. In fact it was renewed.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Lacegarb

Lacegarb Earning My Ears

Wow! That is great news. Thank you!

5. DISRNR1000

DISRNR1000 Earning My Ears

I just returned from a five-day stay at Port Orleans Riverside. I saw a couple dogs walking down the river area and a dog going either in or out of the room in the Royal room section. The dogs were on leashes and seemed well behaved. I heard absolutely no barking indoors or around the resort. I never saw a pet relieving itself nor do I know where that area is. I love to walk around the resort and did a lot of it while I was there and was never affected by pets at the resort.

6. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

We just returned from a night at YC, followed by 3 nights at BWI. Noticed the pet relief area right outside our patio, to the side of a quiet pool. Did not see anyone taking their pet out there. While at YC we had a very long walk from the Lobby to our room. We did see several doors with the dog sign hanging on the door. We never heard or saw any dogs inside the building. When outside, we never saw any evidence (if you know what I mean) that a dog was around the resort.
    We did see 2 dogs with their owners walking out on the Boardwalk near YC, they (owners and dogs ;) ) were being well behaved. It reminded me that in all our stays at BWI since the policy started, probably about 20 nights total, we'd never seen any dogs around the boardwalk itself any other times. Are they otherwise allowed out and on the boardwalk area? Or only the section of the boardwalk directly connected to the YC?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    anniebananie and VAfamily1998 like this.
  7. Tink-osophy

Tink-osophy Just chatting

I'm interested to know this. Are dogs allowed to be walked all the way around the YC/BC/Boardwalk loop? And even if not technically allowed, is it happening anyway?

AngiTN and VAfamily1998 like this.
  8. Madame

Madame DIS Veteran

Didn’t see any when we popped over several times to BW area Aug 26-Sept 2, but the grassy area right behind the BC rear doors, beside the sidewalk that runs to the beach beside SAB was being used as a relief area. Is that area designated as one?

snappy and Tink-osophy like this.
  9. DaisyDuck001

DaisyDuck001 DIS Veteran

Any designated pet relief areas are marked with signage.

snappy and Madame like this.
  10. focusondisney

focusondisney DIS Veteran

We were at YC Saturday to Wednesday. Saw no dogs at YC at all. Saw 1 small dog being walked past the Swan on our way to the Studios on Sunday. Also saw 1 service dog in Epcot this morning. He was wearing a vest & by his behavior, he was well trained.

11. Scott MC

Scott MC DIS Veteran

I'm going back 11 or so months to when the policy was rolled out, but I believe the initial rules stated that the dogs should be going from the lobby....to their rooms....to the relief area....and back to the rooms. Period.

snappy, VAfamily1998 and AngiTN like this.
  12. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

Actually, I've done a bit of research on this recently. As far as I can tell from the pet agreement that guests must sign, this is the only restriction on where dogs can be:

I could not find any documentation from Disney that says pets can't be in other public areas of the resort. Now, I don't know what the rules are for the Boardwalk, since that's not one of the pet-friendly resorts. But as far as I can tell, it's fine for dogs to be anywhere on the YC grounds or in the building except for the prohibited areas listed above.

VAfamily1998 likes this.
  13. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Wasn't talking about The Boardwalk RESORT. But THE Boardwalk. Two different places. Right? THE Boardwalk, encircles the entire lake, if you consider the planks of wood walkway THE Boardwalk. Dogs were being walked on it (well behaved, both owners and dogs) and it made me wonder, are they permitted all along the entire wooden Boardwalk area? Or are they limited to the wooden boardwalk area that is adjacent to grass that is connected to/belonging to YC?

VAfamily1998 and DaisyDuck001 like this.
  14. Lynne M

That, I don't know. It's possible that they only allow dogs on the part of the boardwalk that's on YC grounds, but I haven't seen that documented anywhere.

VAfamily1998 and AngiTN like this.
  15. PamNC

PamNC DIS Veteran

OMG how wonderful is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking about bringing my pup and staying at the cabins - how nice would that be. I'm over the top excited. I understand there are folks with allergies, but if the resorts limit the dog friendly rooms to a certain section, that's a good thing. And it's true service dogs can be anywhere. I'm sure they provide bags for people to clean up after their pups.

anniebananie and Gryhndmom like this.
  16. Laura's Dad

Laura's Dad DIS Veteran

We are going to PO-Riverside in March for Mardi Gras and taking our two dogs. We have a Garden View room and hope to stay in Acadian House. My wife has always wanted to take the dogs to WDW and walk them around Riverside. We can't wait.

anniebananie likes this.
  17. Tink-osophy

Hi Lynne, I totally understand this is an FAQ only thread and not the place to discuss not liking the dog policy, but shouldn't it work both ways and also not be the place just to express pleasure at it? I.e. Without asking questions or providing information.

Madame likes this.
  18. Khokhonutt

Khokhonutt DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if the $50 per night charge is per dog or is it a flat rate for having the pet(s) in the room? I see that 2 dogs are allowed per room, I'm just trying to budget whether we'd be looking at $50 versus $100 per night.

19. Lynne M

The purpose of the thread is to provide information for those who are traveling to Disney resorts with their dog(s). I look at it like the refillable mug thread (for people who plan to use the mugs while at WDW), or the smoking areas thread (for people who plan to smoke at WDW). It's mainly geared towards helping those who are making use of the policy, so no, I don't find it surprising or inappropriate to have someone say "gee, I like this policy!"

I'm not going to be throwing out infractions if someone adds a post that says "this policy is creating a hardship for me." I will be shutting down extended debates about whether or not the policy is good. That's not what FAQ threads are for. There are other outlets for that kind of debate.

20. Tink-osophy

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup2

PamNC and Lynne M like this.
  21. Laura's Dad

Laura's Dad DIS Veteran

If I used the forum for the wrong reason, I apologize. I've been on the DIS for over 15 years and have never offended anyone.

dansdad likes this.