Does you SO or family just not get it?

My DH doesn't like either WDW or Universal and I love both! He just doesn't care for themeparks of any kind.

I took my mother with us once many years ago and she hated just about everything and let me know over and over. The sad part is that I didn't want her to go because I knew it wouldn't be her thing but she just kept insisting.

I will admit that I like other types of vacations too. I love historic attractions and beautiful places such as mountain ranges and nice forests. These are in short supply in central Florida so I like to do other things too.

I also love doing something luxurious occasionally. It's been a while for that one though....

My DH hates (gasp!!) Disney! Too hot, too crowded, too much walking. . . Blah, blah, blah. I go twice a year and feel guilty, but he doesn't say no. Just asks when I am going to "Dizzy" again when he knows I've got a tripped plan. He said he might consider going at Christmas this year so we shall see. Will be there for a long weekend next month with my daughter and grandsons! Can't wait to get home!!!

I have been planning our first family Disney vacation for the past couple of months. My DH and I grew up in South Florida so we have done lots of day trips to Disney. This is a true one week vacation. ( and our first family vacation) He is happy to be taking a trip, but could care less about any details. He thinks I am "nuts" with all my planning!!!! I only hope when we are there he will appreciate all the hard work.

I love it, my DH loves it and my side of the family (my mom, dad and brother) get it but my inlaws don't get it and make they comments whenever possible (especially about our DVC ownership). I know that not everyone is going to "get it" but, I sure wish they'd keep the negative Disney comments to themselves.

We get annual passes, but my DW can only take so much of Disney. So I have to offer incentives for her to get us there more often. She will often drop me and our 2 boys off at a park in the AM and then either go shopping or visiting with friends or relatives in the area and then pick us up that night. Or, I'll leave her at the resort to enjoy a quiet day by the pool. And if we are there for a week, we make sure to schedule "off" days where we do the science museum or something non-Disney. And anytime she wants to have a girls weekend or get me out of the house for a baby shower, I zip over to Disney.

For those who have never been to Disney, I think they are just not educated on all that Disney has to offer, such as boating, fishing, golf, drinking around the world, and other adult only activities. Amazing how many people think Disney is only for kids. I also think that going when it is too crowded or hot can impact your perception of Disney too.

My DH gets it and lately as much as I do. It's been awesome to watch his admiration for WDW grow with each visit. Now he is a full blown addict.

The rest of the family thinks I'm nuts and that its always me making us go to WDW but its ok I don't care to take the bad rap for it. I'm tough, I'm a Dis'ser I can handle it.

My DH is Disney'd out as well. He was good the first couple of times we went, but now is happy enough to let me go without him.
But as far as things you can do to help someone enjoy the trip, there are neat tours you could take, special moments you could plan-like a nice dinner at Ohanas with a walk out onto the beach afterwards to watch the fireworks from there, or plan an evening at the Boardwalk and dinner there and a nice stroll. A lot of resorts have entertainment some evenings. POR has piano Bob in the evenings. He is great fun. Or you could try some of the dinner shows. There is so much more to offer at Disney than just the parks.
Plan a Christmas trip to look at the lights and enjoy the party nights.

I have been told by my family not to talk about Disney. My mom hates it when I correct her about WDW not DL. My niece keeps talking about when we went to DL, but really means WDW (gets mixed up by my mom). Since my mom has only been to DL once before DCA was added thats all she knows.

I have one sister (not the niece's mom) who likes Disney almost as much as me. She doesn't mind me talking about it.

I don't really have tips, but I understand what you're saying! My dad is one of the people who just doesn't 'get' it. He's not thrilled with Disney and doesn't like Mickey :( He has been there more than once, and he would be happy to never go again. Although, I know once he has grandkids, he will be happy to see them get excited.

I can understand how people don't like Disney and the experience, though. It's easy to understand once you really think about it. It can be pretty hot, crowded, a ton of kids, and a lot of happy things and people that can easily be seen as 'corny.' I say just ignore those who don't like it and don't let them ruin it for everyone else! Also don't waste time trying to convert them ;)

I think I am so over the top about Disney because my experience as a kid. One day out of the blue, my dad decided we'd finally go to Disney World. I was 9 (1978) and so excited because we hardly ever took vacations. We flew in on a Friday, and went to the Magic Kingdon (that was all there was) on Saturday morning. We did SM, IASW, 10000 leagues, and the SFR treehouse. At about 11:30am my dad declared it was too darn hot and too darn crowded and that he had enough of Disney World.

And you thought it was going to be a happy memory....

I worked at the MK during college and will probably get a job there again when I retire so I can be there every day and help bring some magic to people's vacations.

My DH thankfully is just as into Disney, he's even on the boards, but my family and coworkers dont get it. We are going twice this year and there is no way I'm telling coworkers that we are going again in the fall, I just don't want to hear their comments.

This discussion would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

to put it simply... My friends and family just don't get it. But it's not their vacation, IT'S MINE!!!!

It isn't like my mom doesn't WANT to go. I would just like to add something special for her that will make her want to go back MORE!

Hahaha ~ she comes once a year but we make 3 or 4 trips a year and would like her to come at least one more time.

Maybe if you scheduled the trip around one of WDW's special events Food & Wine, Flower & Garden. And planned something to something special, something that she would get into. A dining event, guest speaker, special concert, or a workshop. Or you could try luring her back with some of the special ticket events they offer all year round Key's to the Kingdom (is amazing!), one of the Segway Tours, the behind the seeds tour, one of the special AK tours ect. Do a fireworks cruise, spend the day on Bay Lake, ride a peddle car around the board walk. Does she like to golf? Take her to see La Nouba. You can't make someone love Disney as much as you, but you can expose them to new experiences they may not have known WDW offered. There are so many amazing things to do at WDW that often get overlooked. I am using this strategy to entice my husband back, one special tour at a time ;) GOOD LUCK!

Maybe if you scheduled the trip around one of WDW's special events Food & Wine, Flower & Garden. And planned something to something special, something that she would get into. A dining event, guest speaker, special concert, or a workshop. Or you could try luring her back with some of the special ticket events they offer all year round Key's to the Kingdom (is amazing!), one of the Segway Tours, the behind the seeds tour, one of the special AK tours ect. Do a fireworks cruise, spend the day on Bay Lake, ride a peddle car around the board walk. Does she like to golf? Take her to see La Nouba. You can't make someone love Disney as much as you, but you can expose them to new experiences they may not have known WDW offered. There are so many amazing things to do at WDW that often get overlooked. I am using this strategy to entice my husband back, one special tour at a time ;) GOOD LUCK!

1. THANK you for understanding my question!! :hug:

2. We usually go during the Flower and Garden. I am hoping to plan the Food and Wine Festival and MNSSHP later in the fall.

3. La Nouba might be a good evening out for just me and mom :thumbsup2

4. Golfing is out.

5. She would have to do those tours alone as I think the only one we can do (kids are too little) is behind the seeds.

6. We are doing a Fireworks Cruise in May (if it isn't too late) DH just told me he would like to do it so I am going to book it as his birthday gift. :)

Thank you for your suggestions!! I would really like to bring some magic back to her and help her remember it isn't all about the "rides" but also the memories we are making together!

You can see from these pictures what her primary focus is and that she DOES have fun!!

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

As you can see she isn't miserable!

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/

Even though your children are young I wouldn't write off all of the tours completely. Although Keys to the Kingdom is definitely out :)

There is a family magic tour that involves the children in saving the park from a villain.

The backstage safari shows how the animals at AK are cared for.
Ak also offers several up close encounters with animals.

2. We usually go during the Flower and Garden. I am hoping to plan the Food and Wine Festival and MNSSHP later in the fall.
- :thumbsup2 There is so much to so during F&W! It is my favorite time to go, although most of the special ticket events may not be for the little ones an event like "sweet Sundays" or one of the "wine and cheese tastings" may be a great experience for you and your mom while your DH or teenage family member watches the little ones.

3. La Nouba might be a good evening out for just me and mom
- La Nouba is amazing! I am sure you will both love it! (free seating advice- there are no bad seats for La Nouba! When my DH and I went I paid extra for up front tickets, once inside we realized we could have saved some money and had a bigger view of everything happening around and behind us if we had sat a few rows back :goodvibes there is so much to see!) I am going Solo in a few weeks and am contemplating going again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter