Does this plan sound feasible?

lola4795

Mouseketeer
We are going on the DDP with 3 adults and 2 kids. Neither one of the kids eats much at all. One of the adults is a very light eater also. Because of the age of the kids we are paying for 4 adults and 1 child.

I'm planning on scheduling our TS credits so that we are all sharing 3 meals. We will order extra beverages oop. I'm thinking that 3 meals should be great plenty for our family. When going out to eat we rarely order appetizers, and if we do, we only get 1 for the whole table to share. We also rarely order a dessert for each person.

If we only order 3 meals per TS restaurant that we go to we should be able to eat at TS 2x per day for at least 1/2 the trip. That means that with sharing just a couple of Cs meals we will have 3 meals a day taken care of by the DDP.

I know that if we go to a buffet we will all have to use a TS credit, so that would change my plan.

In no way do I want to abuse the DDP, but I know that our family simply cannot eat all that goes along with each meal on the DDP.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

I think it really depends on your eating habits and how you are allocating the food. I don't have an answer for you, but a few issues I'd consider:

- How will you allocate the meals? Will the kids split one meal and 3 adults share two? Will you all share all three meals? One issue may be having to order one kids meal. I would think with one child on plan, the TS places will make you order at least one kids meal. So that may cut down on your volume of food and your choices.

- Do you all like the same things? Can 5 people agree on three meals?

- Do you really want 2 TS a day? I only ask b/c they take up a lot of time during the day and most folks seem to only want to take the time once.

- In some cases you may be better off sharing a CS and saving the credits for breakfast rather than sharing TS if you want to stretch your meals.

All that being said, you can always pay OOP to add on extra food. Your only real risk of planning the way you suggest is that you end up having to buy food OOP to help fill you up. Just figured I'd toss out some things to consider. Good luck!

AS the plan currently stands, you will have 4 adults and one kid. You will not be required to order a kid meal anywhere (unless things change before your trip.) You could easily order 3 adult meals and have plenty to share. At many places, the appetizers are almost enough to be a meal--at Planet Hollywood they are huge!

Obviously, there are places that you will not be able to share. If people can agree on what you want to eat, it will work fine otherwise. Other than the extra beverage, you'll have plenty of food unless you are huge eaters.

We had no problem making 3 meals a day out of the plan. Many of the snack items are big enough to essentially do a breakfast for the group--like a box of donuts. We could also get a quart of milk as a snack, but before I discovered this I'd purchased a 1/2 gallon.

kcashner said:
AS the plan currently stands, you will have 4 adults and one kid. You will not be required to order a kid meal anywhere (unless things change before your trip.) You could easily order 3 adult meals and have plenty to share. At many places, the appetizers are almost enough to be a meal--at Planet Hollywood they are huge!

Obviously, there are places that you will not be able to share. If people can agree on what you want to eat, it will work fine otherwise. Other than the extra beverage, you'll have plenty of food unless you are huge eaters.

We had no problem making 3 meals a day out of the plan. Many of the snack items are big enough to essentially do a breakfast for the group--like a box of donuts. We could also get a quart of milk as a snack, but before I discovered this I'd purchased a 1/2 gallon.

maybe, maybe not according to this thread

" Warning - NOT allowed to use available dining credits at Yachtman Steakhouse
DISCLAIMER - this post is not intended as a renewal of the "can you use child credits" debate, but I did want to share our recent experience, which was not consistent with the reported allowed uses of the dining plan here on the DisBoards.

It was our last night at WDW and we had planned a special evening at Yachstman Steakhouse. Our party for the DDP was 3 adults and 1 child, and we invited my best friend along for the dinner as well (who was not staying at Disney and not on the dining plan). I had meticulously saved up credits during our 8 day stay in order to have the 8 credits that we would need for 4 adults to dine at Yachstman. With the amount of food that we would get, I figured that my young son could eat off of our plates or we could order a child's meal for him and pay OOP. I had specifically paid OOP for several adult meals at Boma earlier in the week so that we would have enough credits for this meal at Yachtman to cover our meals and my friend's meal.

We advised them at the outset of the meal that we have the dining plan, and we proceed to eat (food was OK, but not great IMO - will cover that in a later dining review). My son had been cranky shortly before dinner and I basically gave him dinner in the room before we left, so he hardly ate at all at the restaurant (just off of our plates a bit, nothing ordered). We ordered several side dishes and a bottle of wine that we planned to charge on my friend's credit card (she offered to pay for the "extras" as a thank you for being invited).

When the bill came, our server told us that she could not let us use the dining plan for 4 adults because our room key said "3 A, 1 Ch" - the room key indicates how many people are in your registered party, but as far as I know this is not a restriction on how your dining credits may be used). I asked her to check with her manager. The manager came out and told us that his restaurant is "audited" and that what we were trying to do was use a "child's credit" for an adult meal and that he would NOT allow us to do that. I asked him how he could possibly know that the two credits left in our account were so-called "child's credits" when the system does not distinguish between credits used by adults or children. I explained that we very well could have used my son's allotment of child's credits already, and that I had specifically paid out of pocket for several adult meals prior to last night in order to have enough credits to visit his restaurant. I also said that in the 8 days we had been here, that we had used the dining plan in various ways with various party sizes, both with and without my son eating, and there had never been a problem, never been any mention of the number of people listed on the front of our card, only the number of credits left, and I was surprised that the dining plan was being applied inconsistently at the Yachtsman. I also pointed out that every receipt we had ever gotten in the 8 days only tells you how many total credits you have left, not how many "child credits" or "adult credits" we have left. The manager was very rude and basically accused of trying to scam the system, which I resented very much, since there was no way for him to know how we had utilized our dining credits over 8 days. The manager's exact quote was "well, if I speed home every day for 8 days and then on the 9th day I get caught, that doesn't mean that the rules are inconsistent." That really made me mad, and I told him that his analogy was completely inappropriate and offensive.

Ultimately, during my discussion with the manager, he actually agreed with the points I made, namely, that the receipts don't distinguish between adult and child credits and that there was no way for him to know how we had previously used the credits or whether the last 2 credits we were trying to use were rightfully "adult" credits or "child" credits. Despite agreeing with my points, however, the manager insisted that because our room key indicated 3 adults, 1 child, that we could not use dining credits for 4 adults during the meal. I disagreed with him. Ultimately, he agreed, very reluctantly, to "comp" (his term) one of the meals, and he went off in a huff, but not before he made a comment about how I had "wasted 20 minutes of his time."

Overall, aside from the manager's behavior, we did not have an outstanding meal and I probably would not go back there due to the food being fairly mediocre."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter