Does the magic still exist? My story. Hope this okay in this forum

That certainly seems like a trip full of ups and downs.

As a cast member from a distance, my take on the situation is that it's not necessarily a loss of magic specifically on the cab thing. It's about the cast member knowing or understanding what kind of power he or she has to do the right thing. When I worked at the golf course I had full power to(within reason) take care of a guest in any way necessary. Slow play? give them a free lunch. Did they get back to the pro shop after it closed? no problem, give them a comp golf ball they were after. Little things like that go a long way.

Now it could have been a disenchanted cast member or it could have been a new CM who doesn't realize that one very quick swipe of the pen can authorize a simple 10 dollar transaction. Does that excuse it? No, but a lot of the magic that happens everyday is a direct result of the leaders letting their CMs know what kind of power they have. I was always told my managers would back me up 100% in my decision and if I was wrong, they would train me, not punish me.

As far as pushing you off on the bell hop, that might be "procedure" but that cast member should have recognized the situation and that doing something so simple like calling a cab right there could make you much happier.

As a cast member who has had to deal with some difficult guests, I think I speak for many when I say thank you for being patient and understanding when you weren't able to get into chef mickey's without ADRs. Luckily someone else picked up on it and made it as right as possible.

I hope everything goes well in your search for the guilty party. Good luck

Wow - I'm so sorry that this happened to you..... just sucks.

Glad you found a bit of the Magic before your trip ended, though..... that was a good thing. (channeling Martha Stewart, just a little bit).

drakethib....I am very sorry your house was broken in to. That is a huge fear of mine when we go on vacation , it's a shame the world is this way :sad2: . I am glad you did experience some Disney magic. I think the harder Disney magic is to find the more it means when you do come across it. Thankfully there are some great CM's out there that will go out of there way for the guest and I'm glad you found 3 of them :)

I'm so sorry to hear that your house was robbed. What an awful thing to have happen at any time - let alone when you're on vacation.

You did give me a good idea for a new segment though. Tune into next weeks show (and pick a number!!).

Best wishes to you and your family.

Pete

Wow Pete thanks !!!! :thumbsup2

That is a heck of a nice thing for you to do.

I pick number 11 (it seems to be lucky for me, I was married on Nov 11 i.e. 11-11) ;)

To all.

Thanks for the kind words.

We were hit pretty good, but it could have been much worse.

My family is safe and that all that matters.

Everything can be replaced (except for the data on one of the 2 laptops that were stolen as I did not have it backed up, my stupidity).

My home does not feel as "safe" as it did before, but it is getting better. This is a new house we just had built and we were barley in it 3 months when this happened.

I believe these were just a couple of punk kids who did this. If the law doesn't catch them, karma will eventually.

Just words of wisdom, no matter how good of a town or neighborhood you live in, it can happen to anyone.

A couple of things that I want to add. I did call me DVC guide while I was there and she returned the call a day or two later. She was pretty well disgusted on the way the SSR Manager on duty handled this and apologized on behalf of DVC and Disney and asked if we need anything. I also spoke with a different SSR Manager before we left and left him know that I thought what was done was in poor taste. He did agree and offer to reimburse the cab fare.

I cannot say it enough that I understand that Disney nor DVC "owed" me anything or any favors as they were not responsible for what happened.

What I will say, is when I was in a bad way, I sure did not feel like a "Guest".

Thanks again all and thank you Pete for not only the nice gesture, but for giving us such a wonderful place to interact with everyone.

I've had my house burglarized and it is a terrible feeling. When I got home I noticed my door wasn't locked and my back door was open. My first thought was that those *%^#*@s (nasty word for thieves) had better not let my beloved dog get out. Thankfully Quincy liked to sleep in the walk-in closet and the *%^#*@s had shut the closet door so he was safe. (Some watch dog, huh?:rotfl:) I had horrific nightmares for weeks. It is definitely a pain in the butt to deal with all the credit cards companies and banks. My insurance company was wonderful but it was still tedious.

A few things I learned from the experience:

1. Have an inventory list of all of your CDs and DVDs. The insurance company wanted a list of each one because they have a replacement service and will send the CDs and DVDs to you and not just give you a check. (Not sure if this an industry practice or just my insurance company.) Trust me, trying to remember over 200 CDs - many of which you bought a VERY long time ago - is very difficult.

2. If you have a backup disk for your computer files, don't leave it in the disk drive because when the *%^#*@s steal your computer your backup disk goes with the computer.

3. Get the jewelry rider on your insurance policy. None of your individual pieces of jewelry may be expensive but collectively all of your jewelry adds up to be quite a lot of money. Luckily costume jewelry is not part of the jewelry exclusion but you wouldn't believe how much it all adds up to.

4. Save the original receipts from your purchases because you have to list the original price you paid for items on the insurance forms. I now save the receipts of at least electronics, jewelry and expensive purses.

5. If the police are fingerprinting near furniture make sure you cover the furniture before they spread the powder around. My favorite upholstered chair still has black marks from where the dust fell on the arm. From what I can gather, the powder is designed to stick to body oils and if you have touched something it will most likely stick to it - especially if it is the arm of your favorite chair.

Hopefully no one will have to experience having their house burglarized. You never really think it could happen to you but if it does maybe you will be a little bit more prepared. And check with your insurance carrier about their policies - I have only ever had one insurance company so others may be very different.

My 2 cents FWIW.

If you never pay attention to any other advice anywhere, take heart to what Tonya has written.

Trust me.

I cannot say it enough that I understand that Disney nor DVC "owed" me anything or any favors as they were not responsible for what happened.

What I will say, is when I was in a bad way, I sure did not feel like a "Guest".
Drakethib -- this wasn't really about Disney "owing" you anything. It was about Disney knowing your really tough situation and CHOOSING to do NOTHING about it - even a SMALL gesture would've gone a long a way. They think nothing of whisking you off in their DVC vans for the sales talk yet couldn't help you out with one of those rides when you needed it most? I have a favorite bad customer service story I like to tell anyone that will sit still long enough to listen about Amtrak and it happened to be a trip we took from DC to FL for our Disney wedding. Amtrak sucked but when we got to Disney, a cast member at the hotel spread a little bit of pixie dust on us that lasted our entire trip. So now when I tell my BAD Amtrak customer service story it includes a good Disney customer service story. She didn't have to do it but she choose to and for me, that was the Disney difference. That was in 2003 - maybe Disney needs to start getting back to their roots and REMEMBER THE MAGIC.

I'm so sorry to hear about your house being robbed - especially when you were so far from home.

I know how horrible it feels when you're at work and get that call. I can't imagine how much worse it is when you're on vacation.

I'm glad there is still some magic left at Disney, and that you experienced some of it.

Kathy

Ditto :goodvibes

Drakethib -- this wasn't really about Disney "owing" you anything. It was about Disney knowing your really tough situation and CHOOSING to do NOTHING about it - even a SMALL gesture would've gone a long a way. They think nothing of whisking you off in their DVC vans for the sales talk yet couldn't help you out with one of those rides when you needed it most? I have a favorite bad customer service story I like to tell anyone that will sit still long enough to listen about Amtrak and it happened to be a trip we took from DC to FL for our Disney wedding. Amtrak sucked but when we got to Disney, a cast member at the hotel spread a little bit of pixie dust on us that lasted our entire trip. So now when I tell my BAD Amtrak customer service story it includes a good Disney customer service story. She didn't have to do it but she choose to and for me, that was the Disney difference. That was in 2003 - maybe Disney needs to start getting back to their roots and REMEMBER THE MAGIC.

I can echo this sentiment. We were on our way to Disney in 1988, and long story short it took us 16 hours on three different plane flights to get there from Indiana when it should have taken 2 hours on one. We got to the Contemporary and the cast members were absolutely wonderful and understanding of our problem. The pixie dust was flying, and as this was really my first trip to Disney, it activated the Disney gene to such an extent that I carry that Disney spirit each day with me. I love to tell this story because the Disney experience far outweighed the trip down there. And I agree with Disneybridein2k3 that Disney needs to return to this level of service.

Drakethib, if there is anything as a community that we can do for you besides our prayers and well wishes, please let us know.

Chris in Indianapolis

Disney actually is implementing a "return to the basics" program and it has been spreading through property. It takes a long time to train 55k people, but I hope that it ends up working.

Disney actually is implementing a "return to the basics" program and it has been spreading through property. It takes a long time to train 55k people, but I hope that it ends up working.

This is wonderful news! :thumbsup2

drakethib,
I am terribly sorry to read about all you and your family have been through. I think that most of us fear something like this happeneing while we are away. :sad2: It would seem even more of a violation if it happened while away on vacation. Not only your home broken into but the peace and relaxtion of your vacation taken away as well.

I must admit your story brought me to tears. The Donald Duck part was great! I am happy that the CMs at the Concourse Steakhouse really tried to make your day just a bit better. I can only imagine your frustration and dissapointment with everything else.

Hopefully, you will recover most of the material things that are missing and over time you will feel safe and secure again.

Pete, you guys on the podcast are awesome!!!:woohoo: can't wait to hear what lies in envelope #11. Here's some extra pixie dust for you.pixiedust:

Oh yeah, I pray they catch the punks!!! :mad:

TTFN,
Darlene:grouphug:

This really is awesome news!!! While that particular trip wasn't my first, it is my favorite Disney story to tell and inspires me to spread the Disney magic every day (although I'm not an employee - no Disney parks in Maryland!) As the OP found out, even guests are capable of pixie dust and the cast member that spread pixie dust on DH and I that very late night of our arrival 5 years ago taught me that lesson. I am so very pleased that Disney is getting back to their roots. :cheer2:
~Stacy

I've had my house burglarized and it is a terrible feeling. When I got home I noticed my door wasn't locked and my back door was open. My first thought was that those *%^#*@s (nasty word for thieves) had better not let my beloved dog get out. Thankfully Quincy liked to sleep in the walk-in closet and the *%^#*@s had shut the closet door so he was safe. (Some watch dog, huh?:rotfl:) I had horrific nightmares for weeks. It is definitely a pain in the butt to deal with all the credit cards companies and banks. My insurance company was wonderful but it was still tedious.

A few things I learned from the experience:

1. Have an inventory list of all of your CDs and DVDs. The insurance company wanted a list of each one because they have a replacement service and will send the CDs and DVDs to you and not just give you a check. (Not sure if this an industry practice or just my insurance company.) Trust me, trying to remember over 200 CDs - many of which you bought a VERY long time ago - is very difficult.

2. If you have a backup disk for your computer files, don't leave it in the disk drive because when the *%^#*@s steal your computer your backup disk goes with the computer.

3. Get the jewelry rider on your insurance policy. None of your individual pieces of jewelry may be expensive but collectively all of your jewelry adds up to be quite a lot of money. Luckily costume jewelry is not part of the jewelry exclusion but you wouldn't believe how much it all adds up to.

4. Save the original receipts from your purchases because you have to list the original price you paid for items on the insurance forms. I now save the receipts of at least electronics, jewelry and expensive purses.

5. If the police are fingerprinting near furniture make sure you cover the furniture before they spread the powder around. My favorite upholstered chair still has black marks from where the dust fell on the arm. From what I can gather, the powder is designed to stick to body oils and if you have touched something it will most likely stick to it - especially if it is the arm of your favorite chair.

Hopefully no one will have to experience having their house burglarized. You never really think it could happen to you but if it does maybe you will be a little bit more prepared. And check with your insurance carrier about their policies - I have only ever had one insurance company so others may be very different.

Very good tips that I will work to put into practice & hope that I never need to use! This would be one time that being a pack rat would be a good thing!!

Drakethib -- this wasn't really about Disney "owing" you anything. It was about Disney knowing your really tough situation and CHOOSING to do NOTHING about it - even a SMALL gesture would've gone a long a way. They think nothing of whisking you off in their DVC vans for the sales talk yet couldn't help you out with one of those rides when you needed it most? .

I agree.

We were lucky as we were on the DDP and we had other family who loaned us some cash (asking for money always makes you feel real good about yourself) until we got home and after some time were able to lift the "hold or block"or whatever you call on one of our credit cards while there so we could enjoy ourself so we did not suffer or have to cut back on what we wanted to do while we were there.

My little girl got to play with Grandma and PAW while she was at WDW, so it was a good trip in the end.

:goodvibes

I was listening to the podcast and caught a bit about your story. I stopped the podcast so I could read your post. I'm so sorry what you went thru with the robbery. Sending mega doses pixiedust your way.

Off to listen to what's in envelope #11. :cheer2:

Hey Drake! Congrats on the two nights at the Vistana! :cool1: The should help bring some magic! And it works so well with DVC...guess where you can stay on those point-expensive week-end nights?

Hope everything is all sorted out now at home.

Just a follow up to say the number 11 is still lucky for me. :thumbsup2

We will be using those nights maybe sooner then you think !

THANKS PETE !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter