Does it really matter where you stay?

I am in the parks from rope drop to close, so where I stay is not the most important thing. That said I would rather be on Site at PoP or In my tent at Ft. Wilderness....But the years that I do manage to get an AP and dont have to pay for parking, I know that i can almost always get the Extended Stay on Palm Parkway for less than $70.00 a night using the Priceline secret deal (its a fake secret as its the only 2.5 star with kitchenette in LBV area):D . For that I get a huge room with full kitchen, queen bed, and a comfy chair and couch. Of course you loose EMH and have to deal with the MK parking area and the TTC, But you also gain the decompression of leaving the bubble for a few hours.

If you plan on spending most of your time at parks then the resort doesn't matter as much. Go for the best price.

While we love the deluxes for their proximity to the parks we will not pay those prices (even renting DVC) again! We're in the parks 90% of the time. We don't use the pools or even most of the resort facilities so off-site will do for whenever our next family trip happens. But if I go solo again I will definitely stay at the All Stars with great transportation and decent food. choices.

It's starting to matter less and less where I stay, as I'm down to staying at value resorts only, due to pricing.

We typically go for a week at a time and only spend 3, MAYBE 4, days in the parks at most. We don't get there until later in the day - 2-3pm. So we definitely care where we stay. We'll only stay deluxe, but it doesn't really matter WHICH deluxe. If our preferred resort wasn't available, we would just choose another deluxe resort.

The resort matters to me as it's a big part of my trip in the first place. I like to try to stay at a new resort each trip and I usually do split stays. Since I'm a DVC member, the ones that top my list are BWV, WL hotel & DVC (CCV & BRV), and OKW. AK is the one resort I haven't stayed at but it is definitely on my list. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at a moderate but I guess I draw the line at a value resort. I would reschedule my trip before staying at one of those if they were the only accommodation available. Staying at both WL and BWV this past December were OMG moments. Some of the best moments occur at the resorts. For instance, enjoying my morning coffee overlooking MK and the CRT, watching the MK fireworks from our balcony at WL and hopping on a boat to MK and the monorail resorts for dinner. Sitting in a rocker late in the evening by a fireplace with a drink looking down into the lobby and enjoying the decorations and the peace & quiet. First time at WL and I totally fell in love with the resort! :love:

Stepping out on our top floor boardwalk view balcony at BWV in the evening and seeing everything lit up and seeing fireworks off in the distance. Incredible! Just stepping out and walking to dinner and a drink at night on the Boardwalk. No rushing around to get to a dinner reservation. Walking right into EPCOT and the ability to walk to DHS. Those kind of experiences and amenities are very much a part of the magic for me. I wouldn't have never had those same experiences in a value.

I can't imagine experiencing a stressful day at MK, and there are many, and going back to a VALUE RESORT?:eek: These deluxe villas and resorts are my oasis. Away from the craziness!:crazy:

Last edited:
I didn't think it mattered until we stayed at a resort that we didn't like. Both times we've gone in early December. The first time we stayed at WL and the Christmas decorations made the trip feel extra special. The second time we stayed at SSR because I got a big room discount and their decorations felt like a big letdown after WL.

I didn't think it mattered until we stayed at a resort that we didn't like. Both times we've gone in early December. The first time we stayed at WL and the Christmas decorations made the trip feel extra special. The second time we stayed at SSR because I got a big room discount and their decorations felt like a big letdown after WL.

It definitely spoils you, doesn't it? WL during the holiday season is very addictive. Now I can't stay anywhere else during that time of year. Even though I'm a DVC member, I'd pay cash to stay there now.

The resort is probably the most important part of the trip for us. We're not park commandos and really enjoy hanging out at the resort.

I love having a balcony, so that's the main reason we stay deluxe. And we have favorite deluxe resorts. Last year when WL (our #1 fave) was having all that construction going on (they still are, right?), we decided to stay somewhere we'd never stayed--SSR. We actually loved it there and went back again this year. One of the best things about both WL and SSR is there's a lot of walking around you can do. From WL, you can walk to FW (a really wonderful walk) and around FW itself. From SSR, you can walk all over SSR (very pretty), over to OKW (a great walk followed by lunch at Olivia's!) and to DS. Just fantastic. The only Epcot resort I've stayed in is the Swan, where, despite the great location, I'll never stay again. Too much of a convention atmosphere for me when I'm on vacation.

I'll never stay Value again. Not because I have anything against the Values--and in fact AoA looks very pretty in the pictures I've seen--but because the one time I stayed at a Value (ASMu), the noise from the next room and from the hallway outside the door was so intrusive that I wasn't able to sleep. I've never had even a minor noise problem at a WDW Mod or Deluxe. So even if we were just at WDW for a park-heavy visit, we'd probably stay Deluxe or, if the budget didn't permit, at POR.

Not really. We stay at POR or Carribean Beach because they are moderate ($) and sleep 5. I had just as good a time at POP or AllStars.. but have to admit the one time we stayed at Grand Floridian was GRAND indeed.. still, just being in the bubble is all that matters so i do prefer ONSITE vs OFFSITE.... i do see a day when the resort will be more important than the parks (At least that is my wish) but for now, my wife and kids are park commandos..

Does it matter? Yes. Do I agree with most of the PP? No.

I have for many years at many different vacation locations gotten very good at finding the best location for the best price. I am willing to pay for location, but I like to save money on the motel whenever possible. For example, on a beach trip, I will pay extra to stay ON the beach, but try to find the least expensive place to stay that IS on the beach.

At Disney, I WILL stay on property. I have been to Disney and stayed off property when I didn't know any better. The perks of staying on property are well worth it IMO. However, I strongly prefer the value resorts for the price point.

My favorite value resort is Pop Century. I stay there whenever possible. I would be perfectly willing to stay at any of the All Stars if Pop were unavailable. I believe my preference would be Music, Movies, Sports in that order, just due to my preference of theme. But I would not hesitate to stay at any of them. I was considering a trip in May and didn't look into it until January. According to Disney, the only "value" available was AOA at $319/night. That was more expensive than ANY of the moderates. I seriously considered a moderate, but would have had to cut the trip short because of the extra money. So I chose to go in November and stay at my favorite Pop.

I have enjoyed dining at all of the deluxe resorts over the years and plan to continue to do so.

One other thing that always made DW and I laugh--the insistance that a married couple couldn't sleep together in a double bed. While we did enjoy queen and king at times on vacation, DW and I slept together in a double bed in our home for our entire married life. Both of us were over 250 lbs, so no petite people here. In fact, when we visited my parents, we slept together in an antique 3/4 bed. For those who don't know what that is, it is halfway between a twin and a full/double in size. So we always thought it was funny when a married couple who were likely not as large as we were couldn't sleep together in a double bed for a few nights. I don't mean to be offensive here, just remembering something that the two of us used to laugh about.

I love knowing I have a nice large room and comfy bed to go back to while I am riding the bus with aching legs :)

I can easily say that yes, resort matters. But only to the effect of amenities and location. DVC makes it easier to choose but I want a resort that has some variety of quick service menu options and at least one table service restaurant there or very nearby. I'd like to be fairly close to at least 1 park. And my son would like it if the pool is fun, well themed, and has a slide. Plus between all our stuff for a week plus an owners locker, we need some room. So that tends to rule out value resorts completely. I wouldn't mind staying there one or two nights before DVC stay but I think it would be less ideal for more than that. I've learned that we're just not park commandos and that's fine. We will be back and it's better to go early for a bit, come back and relax, and go out again after dinner.

We were worried about that too last year, but I can assure you it's so not!! It's such a relaxing, inviting hotel. It's now our "home" resort for sure :)
Thank you for this. We have been looking at pictures and trying to get fully on board with it. The kids are super excited for the splash pad, and that there is a slide in the pool. Also, the band, and the gingerbread house. I really know it was a fabulous deal, and we NEED the monorail, easy access back to our room for rests and such, so I hope we can really enjoy it.

As long as I'm on site, I'm good to go. I don't actually have a chosen resort, I stay at which ever one is less. I'm not a fan of value resorts but if there were absolutely nothing available in deluxe or moderate, I'd stay in one if I had to. I tend to do split stays with the first two nights in a moderate, any one will do then the rest in a deluxe. I prefer the Epcot deluxe resorts and have never had a problem when I couldn't find one but if it happened I'd switch over to a MK one.

Does it matter? Yes. Do I agree with most of the PP? No.

I have for many years at many different vacation locations gotten very good at finding the best location for the best price. I am willing to pay for location, but I like to save money on the motel whenever possible. For example, on a beach trip, I will pay extra to stay ON the beach, but try to find the least expensive place to stay that IS on the beach.

At Disney, I WILL stay on property. I have been to Disney and stayed off property when I didn't know any better. The perks of staying on property are well worth it IMO. However, I strongly prefer the value resorts for the price point.

My favorite value resort is Pop Century. I stay there whenever possible. I would be perfectly willing to stay at any of the All Stars if Pop were unavailable. I believe my preference would be Music, Movies, Sports in that order, just due to my preference of theme. But I would not hesitate to stay at any of them. I was considering a trip in May and didn't look into it until January. According to Disney, the only "value" available was AOA at $319/night. That was more expensive than ANY of the moderates. I seriously considered a moderate, but would have had to cut the trip short because of the extra money. So I chose to go in November and stay at my favorite Pop.

I have enjoyed dining at all of the deluxe resorts over the years and plan to continue to do so.

One other thing that always made DW and I laugh--the insistance that a married couple couldn't sleep together in a double bed. While we did enjoy queen and king at times on vacation, DW and I slept together in a double bed in our home for our entire married life. Both of us were over 250 lbs, so no petite people here. In fact, when we visited my parents, we slept together in an antique 3/4 bed. For those who don't know what that is, it is halfway between a twin and a full/double in size. So we always thought it was funny when a married couple who were likely not as large as we were couldn't sleep together in a double bed for a few nights. I don't mean to be offensive here, just remembering something that the two of us used to laugh about.

When I sleep I need my space. I don't like to be touched or have our backs touch or anything like that. So a double bed is too small. We slept in my sons double bed one night and I had a horrible nights rest. I can't imagine doing that for a week. It's just not for everyone. Also My SO is 6' so a double bed is uncomfortable for him.

I grew up staying at the Poly every year.

A few years ago when I brought my son for his first visit, I absolutely could not justify deluxe prices with our budget.

We stayed at POP and he thought it was awesome.

Yes, I knew what we were missing, but I was just happy to be there with him.

So, no, I don't have a particular resort I have to stay at. I'll enjoy Disney however I can get it.

I am having this issue right now. I originally booked ASM because it was just me and DD. I got free dining so was very happy. I even decided to add a couple of more days for the price. Well now DH got off work and would like to come for the weekend. I love DH but small spaces do not do well in out relationship especially when I am trying to sleep, cause he snores loud enough to scare the Bears away!
I do not want to loose FD and I keep checking to see if their s availability in Moderates or Deluxe but none for the time we would like to go.

I have decided not to cancel our trip but to deal with it....and keep checking to see if any become available.

I am having this issue right now. I originally booked ASM because it was just me and DD. I got free dining so was very happy. I even decided to add a couple of more days for the price. Well now DH got off work and would like to come for the weekend. I love DH but small spaces do not do well in out relationship especially when I am trying to sleep, cause he snores loud enough to scare the Bears away!
I do not want to loose FD and I keep checking to see if their s availability in Moderates or Deluxe but none for the time we would like to go.

I have decided not to cancel our trip but to deal with it....and keep checking to see if any become available.

First of all, invest in some ear plugs. May take the edge off! If you got a good deal that you're happy with, I would say, stick with it! Secondly, maybe DH should have that checked out. My DH used to be the same and is now on a CPAP. He could also try those strips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter