Does Disney need to do something new with Mickey?

PolymerSkywalker

DIS Veteran
I read a poll result recently where Nintendo's Mario was now a more recognizable figure than Mickey Mouse worldwide. I never thought this would even be possible to occur! Does Disney need to create something new or try and bring Mickey into the current popular culture?

I read a poll result recently where Nintendo's Mario was now a more recognizable figure than Mickey Mouse worldwide. I never thought this would even be possible to occur! Does Disney need to create something new or try and bring Mickey into the current popular culture?

Well, that has been true of Mario since the 1990's. Sonic too. I think especially in Asia those are more recognized - not that Mickey isn't popular over there. I wouldn't read too much into it. If anything, Mickey has a higher profile recently due to the new cartoons.

Maybe so, I need to find the poll to link. However, if I remember correctly, it said this was the first time in History that Mario had surpassed Mickey.

Is Mario more recognized than Mickey Mouse?

In conclusion, while both Mickey Mouse and Mario are iconic characters, Mario's popularity has surpassed that of Mickey Mouse in recent years. This is due in part to Mario's consistent success and versatility, as well as his ability to connect with audiences on a personal level.

These polls come out all the time. They're not necessarily scientific either. I've heard that one for a long time. It makes for some kind of "shocking" headline - but is it even really shocking. It may as wall say, "Kids today like something new instead of something created a hundred years before they were born." *GASP*

Maybe so, and I do agree that a poll can be worded in a way to pretty much ensure it gives you the end result you want from it.

I would totally try that game!

Disney definitely needs to re-energize Mickey. Back in the day, he was super recognizable from his shorts. But now, unless you're a young kid, you just don't see Mickey on TV or the big screen.

I really liked what they did with the Duck Tales reboot - hire a big name for one of the voices, make a nice story arc, keep it simple enough for kids, but also so adults can enjoy the higher level. I'd love to see something similar for Mickey and friends.

Mickey and the gang are ubiquitous on all kinds of merch, but I think what hurts his recognition might be the various ways he's presented?

Mario is just Mario. There aren't a ton of versions of Mario. Yes, he's been updated over time, but once his image changes, it seems to stick for a while.

Mickey on the other hand appears as a mascot, as the "classic" version that you see on wristwatches, in the new-fangled way with the new animated series, and a ton of other ways, and many of these are appearing in the parks, on Disney+, and merchandise, etc simultaneously. I don't know if that affects how people perceive him as Mickey Mouse, or if they see another version and say "that looks like Mickey Mouse, but not the one I'm familiar with"

Idk, I'm just spitballin'!

I hope they keep making the Mickey shorts. It's one of the few new materials I've liked on Disney+. Initially, I wouldn't say I liked the new Mickey animation seen in shorts from the last ten years, but it has grown on me ever since Disney+ launched and Mickey's Runaway Railroad opened. Plus, they remind me of the Mickey shorts from the 1920s/1930s. I discovered many easter eggs in the shorts related to Disney parks (nature's wonderland, country bears) or old animated films.

When it comes to iconic figures in cartoons and kids related stuff it has always been popular to have the lead character be the center of attention. Just like Warner Bros has Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes gang promote Six Flags theme parks and countless movies and cartoons on Cartoon Network. And look at Lego using the characters Emmet Brickowski and Wildstyle Lucy after their successful debut in The Lego Movie series Lego has used them to promote Legoland. With Mickey Mouse it's the same thing and since he's been in the preschool series Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Mickey Mouse Funhouse I think Disney wanted Mickey Mouse to appeal to the preschool crowd and so that's what they are currently doing now. But if you look at any merchandise that has Mickey Mouse featured in it now it is the classic Mickey Mouse because that is the version of Mickey Mouse that adults grew up with as kids and the adults want to show their own children the Mickey Mouse that they grew up with. But back in the 90's Mickey Mouse was very huge and you could find anything with Mickey Mouse on it and teenagers used to wear Mickey Mouse clothing and by that time Mickey Mouse became a huge celebrity already. Mario for instance has been a popular character since Nintendo debuted Mario Bros in the 80's and the reason he is very popular is because he is Nintendo's mascot and they stick him on any Nintendo merchandise from video game carry cases to clothing and almost anything you can imagine. But I do agree that Mickey needs his own movie or video game or even an app because these days the only Disney characters that get attention are the Disney Princesses and Tinker Bell but if a Mickey Mouse movie was released in theaters it would be a hit if they made one

No, I think they don't need to. The market for cartoons etc. is saturated. They will never get back to where it was, so I wouldn't invest heavily into the character. Just do what they do now. Make sure his animations are available on all streaming platforms. So people without Disney + have easy access to it.

They've tried and some of the new shorts are just absolutely hilarious.

But I have to be honest—that's just not my Mickey. I almost consider them two different characters.

Disney has to be careful. The reason they never wanted to make a Mickey Mouse ride was because if it was received poorly it would tarnish the company's icon.

In today's landscape, they would have the same problem with a Mickey Mouse theatrical release. Disney+ feature film? Maybe.

Mickey needs a video game.

Made by Capcom!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter