Does Disney accept autistic or neurological disabled cast members?

Brycen Nozaki

Earning My Ears
I have autism and ADD. I’m in a special program at school and currently a high school senior. If I were to work at Disney what do u think I would work in? My dream role is to work at attractions and in entertainment.

It would depend on your level of independence. I've interacted with CMs with disabilities at WDW. All have been at non-vehicle positions, meaning not loading/unloading guests or controlling the ride vehicles. Most have been at AK. There was the expert at the bat house, another very knowledgeable young man on one of the trails (can't remember which one, the one with the meerkats?) and I believe the person I talked to in the bird enclosure was also on the spectrum. I'd think you'd have to be able to handle yourself well enough in an interview, be independent enough to do your job without a lot of oversight, and have either some expert Disney knowledge or skills that would make you employable. Is there a job trainer at your program that could help you out?

I have autism and ADD. I’m in a special program at school and currently a high school senior. If I were to work at Disney what do u think I would work in? My dream role is to work at attractions and in entertainment.
look at your program if they do job coaching. I would look at usher type CM at a show more than rides. I work at a small park in Pa and I know we have a number of special needs kids working with us. a few are in the rides area but none are at load/unload. we have some low functioning in food and bev/ food service. I say this to give you hope even if not your dream job

My family has seen multiple disabled Cast Members at WDW.
As others mentioned, what jobs would be available would depend on how independently you are able to be when working and what your skills and interests are.

I used to be a CM, and I kind of remember frequently seeing a CM with a disability who was an usher at Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom. I didn't work over there, but I assume the responsibilities were greeting and interacting with guests and loading people into the theater.

If you are going to go to college after high school, remember that Disney has the College Program (there is a whole forum here on the DISBoards for it) where you can "try out" being a Disney Cast Member for a semester, and you earn a (admittedly small) salary but your housing is provided.

I hope that someday you come back and tell us where you are working at WDW! 🙂

My daughter is also in a special program at our high school. She's only a freshman this year, but we've already been talking with her case manager about future opportunities. They have a job coach who helps prepare the students for work, and I believe some even hold a job as part of their school credit, and it's also tied-in with the adult services available after high school. I hope your school has given you similar opportunities to prepare to post-high school. As others have mentioned - many employers hire people with various disabilities, it all depends on your abilities and the responsibilities required for specific positions. I recommend you talk to your case manager and/or guidance counselor about your "dream job" as well as other jobs you might do to help get you prepared for that position.

Good luck!

One of the things my kids remember about our first trip, a cast member was sweeping at one of the patio restaurants. He stopped said hi and asked the boys if they could do any voices, he did a few disney voices. My kids laughed and laughed. He was a true delight. I know he had some learning curves. Its great that Disney hires everyone.

I’ve met many cast members with disabilities including being on the spectrum. Not to worry. Go for your dreams. Since I am hard of hearing and use ASL I actually look for deaf cast members.

I’ve met many cast members with disabilities including being on the spectrum. Not to worry. Go for your dreams. Since I am hard of hearing and use ASL I actually look for deaf cast members.

How can you look at someone and know they are deaf? Are they using sign language, do they have a special tag, etc? I'd never be able to tell if someone was deaf - even if they were using sign language, maybe the person they were signing to was deaf and they weren't? But being more experienced, I bet you know some of the "tells"?

How can you look at someone and know they are deaf? Are they using sign language, do they have a special tag, etc? I'd never be able to tell if someone was deaf - even if they were using sign language, maybe the person they were signing to was deaf and they weren't? But being more experienced, I bet you know some of the "tells"?
As an asd individual or parent, you get quite tuned into the characteristics, both those that create challenges and those that are gifts.

For the OP most progressive companies, have recognized that individuals with differences bring a lot of value and are willing to put in the effort and time to access that

As an asd individual or parent, you get quite tuned into the characteristics, both those that create challenges and those that are gifts.

Working 20+ years with students with special needs, I get what you are saying. I wasn't talking about ASD at all though - I was asking about tells that would show that a person was deaf. I wouldn't assume a person was deaf just because they were signing, for example. And I have a few hard of hearing students (and relatives) who can lip read really, really well.

Working 20+ years with students with special needs, I get what you are saying. I wasn't talking about ASD at all though - I was asking about tells that would show that a person was deaf. I wouldn't assume a person was deaf just because they were signing, for example. And I have a few hard of hearing students (and relatives) who can lip read really, really well.
I also work with families with children with a wide array of "invisible disabilities" so the same applies, recognizing those disabilities is not an matter of checking boxes, but rather and overall impression based on experience. It is also far from an exact science.

I even have some ASD families that use sign so you are quite correct just because people are communicating in sign is not a sure indicator, heck many our schools have finally included ASL meeting language requirements

I know CMs (who know ASL) have the option to get a tag put on their name tag, similar as if they knew Spanish or French. It doesn't mean they are Deaf though...just that they know ASL

They usually have a special tag indicating that they use ASL. Usually the deaf person has more facial expression and body language but I have been fooled on occasion by CODAs that have signed their entire life. ASL is their first language too

They usually have a special tag indicating that they use ASL. Usually the deaf person has more facial expression and body language but I have been fooled on occasion by CODAs that have signed their entire life. ASL is their first language too

That's so awesome! Thanks for replying - I didn't think of the body language/facial expression factor. I usually have to focus on the hands to follow the signing as I'm nowhere near fluent. I pretty much know the basic signs we use at school for some of our students, and a little more. Now I'll be looking for more cues!

The answer to original question is yes, they do have cast members on the spectrum. You may need to be clear about what work environments work well for you in the interview, but it is definitely possible.

Some people have used ASL with me because I have a lisp that some hearing-impaired people have. Alas, I feel like such a disappointment for those folks as I don't know ASL myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter